Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Todd Erwin
todd-erwin

Ghostbusters: Answer the Call UHD and 3D Blu-ray Review

Never has a movie received so much hostility and hatred from the internet, particularly from those who hadn't even seen it yet, than Paul Feig's remake/reboot of Ghostbusters. It was as if the pink slime from Ghostbusters 2 had oozed its way on to the internet. So much so that it prompted Joel Stein of Time magazine to write an article How Trolls Are Ruining the...
Click here to read the original article.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw this in theaters, and I'm genuinely not sure of the movie's title.

All of the posters and the advertising said "Ghostbusters: Answer The Call" with "Answer The Call" written in a larger font than a slogan or tagline, but a smaller font than a proper subtitle. Then I saw the move itself, and during the opening credits, it's simply "Ghostbusters". But at the very end of the end credits, it's called "Ghostbusters: Answer The Call". So I am genuinely confused over what the official name of this movie is. It seems like the filmmakers might be too.

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I never heard of "Answer the Call" until the marketing for the home video release. Everyone just called it Ghostbusters up to and during the theatrical release.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I never heard of "Answer the Call" until the marketing for the home video release. Everyone just called it Ghostbusters up to and during the theatrical release.
I saw it in theaters - at least in NYC, all of the posters in subways, billboards, etc., had that Answer The Call slogan, and it was at the end of the IMAX version as well. I assume the idea was that if it was successful enough for a sequel, that each new film would be branded with a subtitle instead of a number.

Reactions: TravisR

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
"Answer the Call" sounds like it's about the Ghostbusters needing to pee.

My understanding is that's what Sony sees as its official title to differentiate it from the original.

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
"Answer the Call" sounds like it's about the Ghostbusters needing to pee.

My understanding is that's what Sony sees as its official title to differentiate it from the original.
Paul Feig mentions the "Answer the Call" subtitle in his commentary and indicates this is the case - they added "Answer the Call" to separate it from the original for home video catalog reasons. He said they didn't want to call it "Ghostbusters 2016" because that dated the movie ala "Airport '77"...

Reactions: Todd Erwin

Bryan^H

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
I feel it was one of the worst films I have seen in years. Nothing was funny to me, and I thought the story was incredibly dumb. At $12 in the theater I felt cheated, and should have just walked out.

$30 for the UHD is a lot for a blind buy. Just sayin.

Reactions: Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
I feel it was one of the worst films I have seen in years. Nothing was funny to me, and I thought the story was incredibly dumb. At $12 in the theater I felt cheated, and should have just walked out.
I thought "Perhaps I was too hard on the movie the first time. With some water under the bridge, I might get more pleasure out of it."

Nope, still a terrible terrible movie - but now it's just longer. Even if you put aside all the other issues - it's simply just not funny. Every joke lands with a thud, and that's a death blow to a comedy.

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched the 3D version last night, and I felt it was one of the most, if not THE most, impressive 3D conversions I've ever seen. I would have thought it was actually filmed in 3D if I hadn't known beforehand it was a conversion.

The movie for me was just OK (lots of the jokes didn't land for me), but the 3D made it so enjoyable that it'll get reshown fairly frequently.

Reactions: Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I watched the 3D version last night, and I felt it was one of the most, if not THE most, impressive 3D conversions I've ever seen. I would have thought it was actually filmed in 3D if I hadn't known beforehand it was a conversion.

The movie for me was just OK (lots of the jokes didn't land for me), but the 3D made it so enjoyable that it'll get reshown fairly frequently.
I still duck during the first sliming sequence, even at home.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Royce Fox