What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Ghost Recon 2 (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Has anybody picked this up yet. I just saw that it came out a few days ago. I want to pick this up really bad and add to the stack of video games that have piled up for me to play during the winnter time.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i've only played the first map. it's quite different from GR1 so it's hard to compare. it's actually a bit like conflict: desert storm (but in a good way, i didn't like C: DS. and i've never played SOCOM. bigger maps, linear missions, a more 'smooth' feel to walking around and shooting. no soldier swapping. i loved GR1, possibly my favourite xbox game ever, so i'm not prepared to say i like this game as much after just an hour or so of playing.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
So how is the spawn camping in this one? Have they fixed that yet? I was just playing island thunder (I have'nt been able to get 2 yet) and I was in the absolute worst game I have ever played in any GR game. As soon as you spawned in for the first time I got off 2 shots and took out one guy only to be blasted from a sniper on a rooftop. From there I spawned back in and was immediatley shot down. Once again I spawned in and BAM! shot down, becoming frustrated I waited for the spawn area to change from my current position before I respawned. BAM! the next spot was camped also............and the next spot.
I said to myself this is rediculous. I could not spawn anywhere without the spot being camped from about 75 yards out by the opposing team. I even tried burst running to a safe spot and could not get anywhere, it was camped from all sides. I havent played this one in a while but good god I dont remeber the spawn camping being this bad. I hope they have some type of fix in the new GR2 or it will suffer the same tragedy as the first one.

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Hey Jeff,

The new GR2 is excellent, but is totally different from any previous GR. The graphics are incredible, quite possibly the best looking game on the 'box in my opinion. There are quite a few bugs right now, though Ubisoft is supposed to be issuing a patch in the next few days to deal with them. It's kind of hard to give you a definitive answer on the spawn camping as it's better and worse at the same time... Let me explain - you no longer choose your weapon kit in the lobby, you choose it immediately upon spawning. As you can imagine, if the enemy gets to your spawn points they can shoot you easily while you are choosing your weapon. However, there are two features they have added to fix the spawn camping problem. First, the host can choose an Invulnerability time that allows a player to be invincible for that period of time after spawning. The other feature is that when you are killed, you can choose your spawn point by pressing A or B to go forward and backward through the different spots until you find the point you want to spawn in, then you pull the trigger and spawn there.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
One of the annoying problems I've been having is the delay in getting into an Xbox Live game. After the search is done, 95% of the games have already started when the screen says they're still in setup. It's incredibly frustrating...

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
There still is some spawn camping even thou you can pick the point you want the other team could still camp at all the locations I don't think they are random. I guess it just helps to play with friends who won't be idiots. As far as the game goes I'll say I like this even more than Halo 2. GR2 adds strategy and environment elements that halo just does'nt have. I like Halo 2 but it really feels like a more advanced version of Unreal Tourney w/ Vehicles.

For me GR2 is GOTY.

Chris_Young

Auditioning
IMHO Ghost Recon is much more fun to play with no respawns. It forces people to play more tactically.

If I was designing the game, I wouldn't allow respawns at all, a la Counter-Strike.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
I just picked this title (for the xbox) up over the weekend and it has to be one of the most 'kick in the pants' games I've ever played. Some buddies and I have only tried the co-op xbl missions and its been alot of fun. I still need to check out the campaign mode and xbl vs real people, but so far, one of the best games I've ever played. Incredible graphics and sound. When ever a grenade or rocket explodes near me, my subwoofer shakes the house. Is there a HTF clan set up for this game?

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I recall reading that GR2 also sports a new "over the shoulder" perspective (in addition to the standard first person). What are your thoughts on this?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
What's the learning curve if you have never played a GR game before? I have $40 in Best Buy gift cards burning a hole in my pocket and I was thinking about this title or maybe NFL Street 2. I think this game would be crazy good on LIVE and I have some friends who currently play it, but I don't know if I would be able to keep up seeing as I have never played a GR title before.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Jay, the over the shoulder perspective is quite nice. I usually run around in that mode and then when your ready shoot em up, I zoom in through the scope which gives you a 1st person POV. The over the shoulder view expands your periferal view which comes in handy.

Evan, this is my 1st GR title and had no problem picking up the basics. The advanced tactics may take a little while, but the game is thouroughly enjoyable for a beginner. If you get it, try starting out with buddies in a co-op game versus the AI baddies. Its a good way to get a feel for the game without being overwhelmed. BTW, I got mine at best buy on sale for around $38.

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
Fun game. It's priced at $34.88 for both the Xbox and PS2 at Target this week (advertised in this week's circular). Take the ad to BB and save some $$$ while using your gift card. I've been playing it for a week and prefer it over Halo2 as a nice change of pace (just my opinion). They've made a lot of improvements (again, my opinion), from the original GR and GR:IT. I do wish they would have included some of the maps from GR and GR:IT like Embassy, Island, the Docks, Castle, etc.... They would have looked awesome in this game.

Add me to your friend's list if you wish. GamerTag: the gnat

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I've gone to three different stores and this game is sold out everywhere. (one Target, one Best Buy and one Circuit City). I guess I will just keep trying. Funny that the Target circular has it listed. My local Target didn't have any copies and the sign featuring GR2 said "coming soon". In fact, the clerk didn't even know if the game ever came in stock. I have friends of mine that cannot even find the game at any Blockbuster for rental either.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

Same thing happened to me. I hit 1 Circuit City, 3 Best Buys and finally found one at the 2nd Circuit City. Stay vigilant.

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Armando, rumor has it that the first 8 maps for download are ready and they include Day and Night docks and a night version of Embassy... :)

I'm curious why they didn't include the first mission "Airfield" map as a multiplayer map, seems to me it would be a great MP map.

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra

I don't think that I've even played all the maps that came with the game yet!!! Holy guacamole!!! A night version of Embassy would be cool. This game may not leave my Xbox for a long while if they do make all that downloadable content available in the near future.

I'm really favoring this game over Halo2. I prefer the tactical moving around under cover in GR2 than the frenzied run-and-gun strategies in H2.

The Airfield map would be a cool MP map.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks