What's new

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (1 Viewer)

JamesTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
I've taken a look at the link you provided Keith I and I must say that the DVD information doesn't make me want to buy the series. I mean if you wanted the whole series, you'd have to buy 7 DVDs, with like 3 or 4 episodes on them. And then with each DVD, you get an alternative choice of a 2 Disc set, with better packaging, a T-shirt, Surround Sound, and English subtitles. All that for double the price. And not all of the 2-Disc sets are the same, with Vol.7 differing from others, with a tin-style packaging. And do the normal 2-Disc boxes have just the normal 1 disc DVD in the fancy box, with an extra disc inside the 1-disc case? And why doesn't TVShowsOnDVD.com have the DVDs listed on the site? And will the Second Second have this many volumes, each with the same treatment? Sorry for complaining, I just know what I like in a TV shows box set and this isn't it.
EDIT- Wait! I just looked on Amazon for Ghost In The Shell products, and I saw that the VOL.7 2-Disc Edition is actally for Vol.1-7! But does it include the 2-disc sets for all of the Volumes or the 1-discs? And does Vol.7 get a 2-disc treatmeant? Or is it included inside? I'm getting very confused from all of this....................
-James

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
James,

Anime DVDs are usually released in volumes; they don't give you the whole season at one time (unless they do that after the volumes have been released, but are just packaged to have all volumes together; e.g. Noir).

Each 2-disc set does come in a fancy outer box but a single keepcase (2-disc capacity). Yes, Vol. 7's Special Edition has a metal tin case which negates the outer boxes for all previous Special Edition volumes. The surround sound and English subtitles aren't exclusive to the Special Editions except that you get DTS on the Special Editions.

TV Shows on DVD does not do anime releases.

GitS:SAC 2nd Gig will follow the same release pattern. Vol. 1 (regular edition and Special Edition with CD) up to Vol. 7.

Blame the anime studios for milking money out of their customers, but the customers keep buying so like many other regular DVD releases that people don't like, people keep buying them which tells the studios they support it. So that's why I gave up buying the Special Editions for GitS:SAC 2nd Gig mainly to save money and not give Bandai all that money just for fancy packaging and a CD.

As for the Amazon listing, you'll have to ask them to clarify, if their descriptions aren't clear. I looked at the listing and it says there are seven discs so it might be a tin set of only the regular editions although the Special Edition 2-discs could fit in a single keepcase which would mean it would have 14 discs. Good luck if you ask them to clarify.

Finally, there were also problems with the first few volumes. Audio and disc art problems. Check this thread for more information but I agree that it's a hassle if you are considering buying the discs now:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=213383

CaseyL

Supporting Actor

Depends on your point of view, really. I on the other hand, think this is how all anime should be. Sub-titled only. Not to open this can of worms again. It's just an opinion.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Bandai's website (www.ghostintheshell.tv) has been redesigned (for the better, IMO) and the title track to 2nd Gig plays first in the background. You can choose four tracks but the title track (#1) has grown on me. It's called "Rise." The thumping percussion/rap at the beginning rocks.

In the "Episodes" section, they have photos from all 26 episodes but thankfully do not have plot synopses for the latter episodes which we haven't seen yet.

Although I miss DTS, the Dolby Digital 5.1 track is fine. I'm not regretful for not buying the Special Editions (although Vol. 1 has the CD soundtrack).

I also like the end theme better than the first season's end theme.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks