What's new

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (1 Viewer)

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Since this is a television show, I'll put a general thread here (a separate "defective discs" thread is available in this forum here).

Volume 3 is due out on 11/23/04 but for some reason, my preorder from an online retailer arrived today!

I have not watched or listened to it in depth yet to see if everything is all right, but the V.3 Special Edition comes with a limited edition T-shirt.

How will they package this thing? The outer slipcase is 3 inches thick, with the regular keepcase included next to a cardboard slipcase housing the rolled-up shirt. Since you could not specify the size of the shirt, they sent an XL. The shirt is black with the GitS:SAC logo in the front and a picture of a good-looking female character (not Major Kusunagi) who I don't know. (I'm not sure if the designs will be different.) It's kind of awkward to have a 3" thick case that has ~2-1/2" of empty space but I'm not complaining.

As for the discs, the audio label on both discs is correct. I am still adamant in my opinions about saving money and include both DD and DTS audio tracks on the same disc but on different layers. The T-shirt could have been the lone "special extra" for those willing to spend a little more $. There are only two disc extras: two interviews, one with Akio Otsuka (voice of Batou) and one with Sound Director Kazuhiro Wakabayashi.

Finally, I sampled the opening theme song (the awesome "Inner Universe") of Episode 9 on the DTS disc and all four surround channels are audible and the LFE (.1) track is heart-thumping, as usual!

Note: You can now see this show on the Cartoon Network's Adult Swim (English dubbed only). Also, many retailers seem to have lowered the retail price from $49.95 to $34.95.

Box cover image (from Amazon.com):

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I've watched the entire DTS disc and everything looks and sounds just fine! Here's hoping there are no more recalls or exchanges.

Update: On another thread, someone mentioned that there is still a DTS problem with Vol. 3. Maybe my ears can't hear it but if anyone knows exactly where the problem is, please post it here.

That good-looking female character on the cover and T-shirt may be one of Kusunagi's alter-egos (as seen in Episode 9).

And according to Amazon.com Volume 4's Special Edition will include another T-shirt! How about an action figure for future releases? They'll last longer (unless I don't wear the T-shirts).

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I received Volume 4 Special Edition today and Amazon's description is incorrect. It does not include another T-Shirt. This time, it is a laminated ID tag of Major Kusunagi. There could be other character ID tags in other titles, but I don't know.

I am still disappointed that Bandai would release two discs just for DTS audio and a few extras (two interviews and a Special Edition booklet). There should be a separate Dolby Digital and DTS version and just include the extras for a slightly higher price. Or just have ONE special edition with Disc 1 the DD version and Disc 2 the DTS version. Forget the "regular" and "special edition" versions. Oh well, it won't change.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Volume 5 Special Edition is exactly the same as Volume 4, but this time with an ID tag of Batou. At least the SRP was reduced by $5, like Volume 4 was. The DTS track is excellent as usual (no audible errors that I can hear but I'm not specifically listening for problems). I also finally got my postage reimbursement last week from Bandai. Release date: Tuesday, March 22.
-

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Bandai is doing a price-change again.

According to Anchor Bay's website (www.anchorbayentertainment.com), Volume 6 Special Edition is now $49.98 SRP (up from $34.98).

Volume 7 Special Edition, according to several online retailers, has also been raised to $49.98 SRP.

The thing that irritates me is that there will only be three episodes on each Volume and the supposed inclusion of more T-shirts (Batou for V.6 and Laughing Man for V.7) and ID cards.

There are several online sites that have not raised their prices but some have already done so for both Volumes.

The GitS:SAC website (www.ghostintheshell.tv/dvd.php) does not have the prices of V.6 & 7 yet.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I really don't like the idea of t-shirts - it'd be a lot better if you could just buy them separately and in the size you want!

Ugh...and I was happy that Volume 5 SE was cheap ($23 CDN) and had no superfluous t-shirt that doesn't fit to inflate the price.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I was lucky with the last T-shirt as it was my size but I don't know if I'll be lucky with Vol. 6's T-shirt. However, I was able to preorder it at a retail price of $34.98 so I got it for about $21. The only thing is that this retailer is listing a 7/24/05 street date and it comes out this Tuesday! (They probably have it mixed up with Vol. 7 but if they get it in stock, shouldn't it have shipped? They usually ship before street date so that it gets to you on street date.) And they have the Standard Edition listed for a 5/24/05 street date (the old street date; it was recently moved up a week).
-

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
According to Davis DVD's Animation Page (July 13, 2005), "Ghost in the Shell: Season 2 Volume 1" will be released on September 20 in the usual regular edition ($25 retail) and Limited Edition ($50).

After shelling out bucks (at least at a discount) for the Limited Editions of Season 1 mainly for DTS (which sounds so much better on my system than the DD track), I'm pretty sure that I'll stick to the regular editions this time around. Again, why we have to pay twice as much to get DTS is beyond me. Yes, we'll get a nice extra like a CD, T-shirt, or ID card, but THOSE should be the deciding factor for a price increase (along with extra content), not just a different audio format. Just release the standard edition with DD & DTS with the few extras you provide anyway; I'm sure there's enough space for both audio tracks.

Oh, the official name for Season 2 is, I believe, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex GIG 2.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Going back to Season 1, the Limited Edition metal tin case (included with Volume 7) that holds all the Volumes hold the keepcases, but not the black slipcases the T-shirts and CDs came in so those go to waste. And there is hardly any artistic value in having them by themselves with no keepcases inside of them. Maybe you could keep the CDs and the T-shirts in them...

Sometimes I just scratch my head but I think from their POV: "We just want the customers' money. They'll pay for it." And I think, "Ahh, I understand now." (Of course, I paid extra.)

They won't get my extra money for Season 2. I'll be sacrificing DTS audio to get the regular editions.

One of the anime reviewers at DVD Talk wrote a short essay about what's wrong with anime DVD releases. I hope anime fans, die-hard or casual, support his list.
-

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm sticking with the regular releases too - it just isn't worth it. I had a chance to compare the disc space used by an SE disc and a non-SE one - the non-SE one actually used more space than the SE - yet there was still plenty of room left over (1.5 gigs?) for a DTS track. They could easily put both tracks on a regular release AND keep the extras - just have to compress the latter a little more.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
It's (not) nice to see Bandai repeating the same pattern for GIG 2: Charge an arm and a leg just to get DTS. Yes, you get a CD soundtrack and a collectible tin for Volume 1 (released 9/27) but if a DTS fan will watch the DTS disc, what good is the Dolby Digital disc for? Extra weight? A few interviews?

The extras might be worth paying $50 retail but not just to get DTS! Put both audio tracks on one disc! DTS must be an extra audio format according to Bandai. If you are going to pay $50, we'll give you an extra audio format, huh?
-

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Season 1 is available in Hong Kong with DTS for a lot less money. After getting hosed on the R1 DTS versions I may pick up the HK DTS dvds of season 2.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I preordered Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG and was pleasantly surprised to get it in the mail today. I refused to purchase the so-called Special Editions so I sacrificed the CDs, T-Shirts, and DTS for the Dolby Digital 5.1 version.

It must be my home theater system (semi-high end) but the Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack lacks so much clarity; it sounds clumped together to create the sense of surround. DTS has good natural and clean sound but DD has the edge in the .1 LFE department; this one is boomy.

The package teases with DTS since there is a DTS logo on the back cover but alas, it does not have one.

The opening theme is different but still sung by Origa. It's not as memorable as "Inner Universe." Those of you who buy the Special Edition/CD can listen for yourselves.

JamesTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone tell me how many seasons this went for, how many episodes it has, and how many seasons are on DVD? And are they in English?
-James

CaseyL

Supporting Actor

There's two seasons, and only the first is currently available. The Second (Known as Gits:SAC - Second Gig) is on it's way however. The First Set had optional English/Japanese, so I assume the second Gig will as well.

JamesTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
CaseyL- Thanks for answering my question. I actually watched the premiere of the first episode on free-to-air TV in Australia yesterday. What's the name of the main character? And is the movie available on DVD?
-James

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
There are several main characters. Mainly Motoko Kusanigi (The Female major in non-regulation clothing), Batoh, the big dude with the long hair (pony tail) and eye implants, Togusa the other guy with Long hair who's mostly non-cyborg, and Chief Aramaki who's the old guy in charge. Both Movies, Ghost in the Shell, and Ghost in the Shell: Innocence (Which focuses more on Batoh) are available on DVD. However, there is no existing Dub for Innocence, so that is a Japanese language only DVD. The films have very little to do with the series, other that they use the same characters and settings. I should also mention that there is two manga books too, if you are into that. Also different stories, but really excellent. The First, just titled Ghost in the Shell, and the second called Ghost in the Shell: Man Machine Interface. Both are excellent, but don't have the same feel as either the anime series or films. It's not a bad feel, it's just different.

JamesTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, okay. Thanks for that, I was meaning Motoko Kusanigi for the character question, but it's good to know the other character's names. Shame about the GITS-Innocence dubbing thing, but I guess that I'll only want to get the first one. I'm not really into Manga that much, but I know a few people who'll want to get them, so thanks for the extensive information you have provided me. Thanks!
-James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks