Manga: Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (release format)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Keith I, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    I've been reading that people are not satisfied with the way Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex V. 1 - Limited Edition (and maybe subsequent Volumes) are being released as described here:

www.ghostintheshell.tv/dvd.asp

Why release a second disc just to have DTS? Why not a separate DTS-only release for the same price as the Standard Version? (There aren't that many extras.) Then release a Limited Edition with the CD soundtrack for both releases.

Or, release a DD/DTS-only title as the Standard version. Depending on the length of the extras, if they are short, they could be included on Disc One. Then release a Limited Edition which includes the CD soundtrack.

If the Volume 1 configuration is the same for all subsequent releases, that will be lots of $$$ for people who want DTS and cannot buy whatever they want for whatever cost.

Consumers should use the Contact Link on their Web site to let Bandai know of their dissatisfaction and suggest a better configuration for future Volumes, if they are dissatisfied of course.

Sorry if this has been discussed before. A search in this forum and the DVD-TV forum came up empty.

2. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    Post deleted.

3. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    I received my Limited Edition of Volume 1 last week and everything Manga/Bandai says it will contain is accurate:

Disc 1 - Dolby Digital 5.1 (Japanese and English) and some extras (two interviews, opening and closing scenes without credits, trailers).

Disc 2 - DTS 5.1 (Japanese and English) with no extras.

"Disc" 3 - CD soundtrack.

Amazon has Volume 2 up for preorder and the Limited Edition is exactly like Volume 1. Huh? Do they have different music for each episode??? (DavisDVD also confirms the specs.)

Bandai: At $35-50 a pop and only four episodes per volume, this is affecting the pocketbook! I enjoy the DTS version over the DD version and would really rather see everything on Disc 1 (it can fit with no loss in quality) and a CD as "Disc" 2 for future Limited Editions.

With four episodes (at 30 minutes each) per volume, this is kind of frustrating. With so many Season sets that buyers are used to, this makes the frustration only greater. I would gladly wait if I could get all episodes at one time.

If the format structure isn't going to change and you've made up your mind about it, I will probably stick to the regular editions. The DTS and CD aren't worth the price tag, IMO. At least the regular version will still have BOTH languages in digital surround sound, unlike your GitS movie DVD (where the Japanese track is only 2.0).

But if anyone agrees with me, please post your support here and let Bandai know on its web site (www.bandai-ent.com).

Finally, I'm wondering if this release format is due to the show being broadcast on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim this November... These "volume" sets are intended as teasers to get us to watch? Or is it simply trying to milk us out of as much money as possible?

4. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    I finally received a response from Manga (after several attempts at communication) and they said that Bandai makes the decision on how they are releasing the Volumes.

So please direct your professional suggestions, complaints, concerns, etc. to Bandai at www.bandai-ent.com.

Manga: Thank you for your courteous response.

Moderator(s): Would it be possible to change the title of this thread to replace "Manga" with "Bandai"? Thanks.

5. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    Bandai releases Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex so the "Manga" in the title should say "Bandai."

Anyway, the SRP of the final two Special Edition Volumes are reportedly going up in price to $49.98 due to inclusion of T-shirts and ID cards.

I'm a fan but I can't see how to justify such a high price for a T-Shirt, which I don't care for anyway. Sell the T-shirts in a Bandai Merchandise Store on your website.

I want DTS audio (which sounds a whole lot better than the Dolby Digital, so I really don't need Disc 1 in any of my sets except for the paltry extras) and I have to buy all this just for that? I cannot reiterate enough how the suggestions above are better, but I guess people are buying enough of them to justify raising the price to a ridiculous amount.

I really hope I'm wrong but Anchor Bay's website lists Volume 6 as $49.98 SRP and several online retailers say Volume 7 is the same due to a Batou T-shirt (Vol. 6) and Laughing Man T-shirt (Vol. 7) along with the ID cards.

The boxes these come in are so wide to accomodate the T-shirt but we don't leave them in the box. Now I have these extra wide cases on the shelf taking up unnecessary space.

I'll bet that these will be released in the future with the DTS sound and just that with the few (too little to be exact) extras and possibly more not on these releases. Bandai is reportedly rereleasing Cowboy Bebop yet again so why not do it for GitS:SAC?

But I guess I'm the hypocrite because I criticize yet I have these releases.

6. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    Bandai is releasing GIG 2 (Season 2) in the same format as Season 1: $25 for the Dolby Digital-only version with a few interviews. $50 for the DD/DTS version (on two separate discs) with the same extras and some collectible items (e.g., CD, tin).

I will not buy the DTS versions although DTS sounds better than DD on my home theater. Why pay more to get another audio format? I can understand paying more to get extra content, but I can't believe that you (Bandai) think DTS is an extra audio format that justifies charging us more for.

If things change, I'll be grateful that you satisfied our personal needs (content, value, etc.) and yours at the same time.

Anyway, read #2 and #3 of the "Low Fives" here; it scratches the surface:
    http://www.dvdtalk.com/anime/2005/07...ai_7_dons.html
    (scroll to the bottom of the page)

Dear Moderator: Please edit the title to change "Manga" to "Bandai." Thank you.

7. Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal Supporting Actor

This whole thing is so depressing. I was mad about Star Trek costing $100 per season, but even Star Trek can't hold a candle to this highway robbery!