What's new

Getting Started - With a Few Q's for Experts (1 Viewer)

Kevin-R-S

Agent
HI,

First let me say, what a great site! I have spent the last couple days reading all the posts, and especially appreciated all the posts regarding what people would do different if they had the chance!

Let me give you a break down of my Room Setup... Then I'll ask my Q's... (if thats alright)

My room size is limited to 12ft 6" (wide) by 17ft (deep) it is in the basement of my brandnew home so the floor will be concreate. The entire area is an empty shell at this point and I am in the process of Design.

In order to get the best out of the situation I have I wanted to ask these relatively NEWBIE Q's.

1. My Ceiling is only 8ft high (plus it needs to be fininshed Drop, or Drywall which will bring it down another 3"), and all along the one side I have duct work spaning the length of the room (17ft long) and about 3 1/2 (wide)... The height under the Duct work floor to Duct is only about 7ft (maybe little less...

My Question is in a room this type what would be the ideal location for the PROJECTOR... Right at the back of the room, or closer to the middle... Is farther away Better or worse...

2. THE SCREEN... I would like to create as big as screen as possible alone the 12ft 6" wide wall. What would you guys recommend keeping in mind that I need to place the speakers on each side of the screen (stage) and dont want it to feel cramped... Any suggestions on screen size?

3. Whats the deal with buying a HT screen compared to making one out of drywall yourself? I know the costs savings are there to create your own screen, but will I be jeoprodizing quality in a major way?

My biggest concern is the projector setup... Do I have enough height in the 8ft ceiling to work in a room that I have described..

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers

chris_everett

Second Unit
An 8' ceiling won't be a problem for front projection...

As long as you choose your projector carefully!!!!!

Many people find a "great deal" on a projector only to find that the optics don't work in their space. You will want to

1. Determine what your optimal screen size is.
2. Determine if their are locations that are preferable for a projector, or spaces that are unusable
3. Check that both the zoom on the projector, and the lens shift are right for your needs.
(Lens shift allows the projector to line up with the bottom or top of the image, rather than being on the ceterline)
Projectorcentral.com has lots of info and a calculator for the zoom ammounts.

As for the screen, lots of people build their own, and others project onto drywall. I project directly onto my drywall. I did a _really_ good job mudding and sanding, and then used 3 coats of white primer for the "surface" I'm saving my money for a perf screen so I can put my speakers behind it.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Kevin, my projector room in the basement is the same size, and my ceiling height is only 6'8" tall.
1) You should attempt to keep projector toward rear of room, and also your equipment rack. This keeps your cable runs short, and projector probably behind your head when seated.
2) Your screen size depends on your seating distance from screen, and resolution of projector. I don't have a HD projector, so I sit back 2X the screen width(15.5' away from a 106" diagonal screen). If you have a HD projector, you can sit closer and go with a bigger screen(1.5X screen width seating distance).
3) You mean painting your drywall for the screen? That will work great, if the finish is nice and smooth. Your ceiling height is fine, I wish I had that much ceiling height.

Kevin-R-S

Agent
Thanks for the help Gentlemen..

I plan on spending at least 2,000.00 on the projector itself so I hope that will get me an HD projector.

My "IDEAL" layout calls for the projector to be place at the very back of the room approx 16.5 ft from the screen. MY equipment rack will be on the wall at the back of the room also, so my wire runs to the projector will be fairly short...

Does anyone have suggestions for projectors?

Keeping in mind that I plan on using this room for not only movies, but watching FOOTBALL, and some general programing so I am looking for the BEST all purpose projector which will also be economical to run. (ie decent price for replacement bulb)

Any suggestions?

Thanks again guys.

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
Check out the gallery on my HT.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/gall...3975&g2_page=1
I've just finished drywall on my project, very similar to yours. My cieling started 6" lower, and I put risers. Actual cieling is only 6'10" at the second level of riser. See the work around the duct work. I was able to place my projector above my second row of seats so it really wont be an issue for head clearance. Even with projector I still have 6'4" below that. Check out the BenQ7700, I believe TV Authority has extended their deal on it. I've just played with mine during testing and such, but it seems easy enough to use and has a great picture. Screen size may be an issue. At 16' your screen would be at least 110" diagonal. Pretty big screen for the room. Check their website to see exactly what your diagonal would be that far away. If you are really looking for as big as possible, the BenQ might be a good option. I'd bet at 16' you could get a 140" diagonal screen
I will also be using paint to create the screen surface. I'm using www.DIYTheatre.com. I'll post when I get it finished, let everyone know what I think about it.
With a good optical zoom, the distance should not make an difference for picture quality. Finding a projector that will work with what you are wanting is more important. In a basement, I'm asuming you will be able to control the light pretty good, so look for a projector that has an option for economy mode. (quieter and longer bulb life, but less lumens)

Kevin-R-S

Agent
What would be considered a high amount of Lumens for a Home Theatre Projector?

Is 1100 Lumens enough or should I be looking for a projector with more. It will be in the basement, but I dont want to have to have the room pitch dark all the time in order to watch the screen. This will be used for football sunday with the boys, as well as some general program watching throughout the day.

What would you recommend for Lumens for an application of this type?

Thanks

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
1100 lumens is plenty to still be able to have good light in the room.
I've put my screen wall set back from the other lighting in the room. The room can be brighter since the screen area is dark. With lights on, and in economy mode, I still had a good view of the image, even in economy mode for the BenQ. This and I still have yet to paint the screen paint on the wall.
1000 plus lumens should be enough for anything but the brightest of applications, or the largest of screens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks