Getting New Receiver Marantz or Pioneer Elite

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by scott_tinari, Dec 7, 2001.

1. scott_tinari

scott_tinari Stunt Coordinator

I have the Pioneer Elite VSX35, I was going to up grade to a Marantz 7200, its has 6.1, SHould I make the upgrade or stick with the Pioneer, Anyone help with this. I have Energy Take 5 Speakers

2. scott_tinari

scott_tinari Stunt Coordinator

Also if someone has the Marantz, I heard the reciever Hisses at high volumes, Can anyone elaborate on this reciever. Thanks

3. SamRoza

SamRoza Stunt Coordinator

Scott,
    I'd stay away from the entire Marantz line. THey've been having serious QC trouble, and there are lots of defects, apparently.
    Read here for details: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hlight=marantz
    Essentially, Digital audio drops out, CD mostly, I think. S-video noise make it hard to watch TV, and while switching sources, may affect the V-hold of your TV.
    Oh, and considering that Marantz hasn't offered fixes for these, I'd be extremely wary.
    Sam

4. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

The entire Marantz line is NOT having problems. I have a SR-8200 and it is flawless. I did have problems with and returned a SR-7200, however. If you buy one, just buy from a B&M with a liberal return policy. The ones that have the problem experience the click/pop right out of the box, they are NOT failing after a months use. It is an issue that Marantz needs to address, but don't let it scare you off.
    By god, the sound was worth the patience to me!
    Pete [​IMG]

5. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I have the SR7000. Last year's model. I have read about the QC Issues, but much of that seems to fly in the face of a number of positive reviews staing the QC issue(s) have been addressed. IMHO, the quality of the POWER and the options offered should not be disregarded lightly, in that price rannge. I'm with the last poster. Buy one from a local B&M store where they will stand behind the product, if there is a problem. The upside over the pioneer is significant, in my opinion.

6. SamRoza

SamRoza Stunt Coordinator

Hey Pete, thanks for pointing out to me that the whole line isn't having trouble...Just every model except for the 8200 [​IMG]
    The 5200, 6200, and the 7200 all have major issues.
    Sam