What's new

Getting interested in home theater... (1 Viewer)

Chris_Stewart

Auditioning
A little history of me so you can understand where I am right now, I'm a 19 year old college student which will graduate in spring 2003. I work part time at a software development company (I'm studying to become a Java Developer). I'm in no way trying to build a killer home theater like I've already seen in these forums but I'd like to start learning.
I currently have a few components that suit me great right now. I still live at home so I don't have much room and I can't just fire this badboy up whenever I please:D
Zenith 27inch TV (Grandfather gave it to me when he got a bigscreen TV)
Kenwood KA-109 Amp
Kenwood KT-59 Tuner
(2) Kenwood Tower speakers with (2) 12s, (2) 6 1/2s, and (2) Tweeters
I also have a 5 disk CD Player and a double deck tape player in the attic. The CD Player is messed up to where it will not read the CDs. It's not a big deal since I have a PS2.
So I ask, how out of date is my current stuff? What should I be thinking of looking at to slowly build up my system so that when I get my own place (Summer-Fall 2003) I'll have a nice setup? Thanks for any help!
Chris

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
I wouldn't build up slowly for that great day in 2003, because it's 15 months away. Technology and, especially prices, are changing very rapidly.

Since you sound happy with what you have, why not just stay put and save your money? Maybe invest it in the stock market!

As a Java developer, you're going to do fine and will have no trouble buying whatever system you want in 2003.

Chris_Stewart

Auditioning
That's true. What do you think would be a worthwhile "upgrade" for my current system? Or should I just leave as is and save cash? I couldn't do surround sound because I'm in a small room and my parents wouldn't want holes in the wall:D

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
the best thing you could do right now is buy a killer pair of speakers. your speakers are one of the very few things that can last you for 10+ years. Kenwood doesnt make very good speakers IMO. save up like $600 and get a pair of B&W 602's...you will be AMAZED at the clarity! if you can afford the 603's, go that route instead. (i'm not sure of the prices b/c i get to buy at wholesale :D). they will last you through many upgrades!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks