What's new

Getting 7.1 to work (1 Viewer)

Chris Huber

Second Unit
I have
VSX-D811S
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn..._34976,00.html
and 5.1 setup know.

Before ordering 2 more speakers, I thought I would test out 7.1 with the current speakers. Optical out from DVD player to reciever is what I am using.

I selected 7.1 "quick config" on the reciever. I took the current SR speaker wires and hooked them to the SB terminals on the back of the reciever. I did a test tone and SB sound came from both SB speakers. So the connection is good.

While playing Star Wars Episode II, there are no SB signals playing out of the speakers.

On the reciever, there is an SB light that shows when SB content is coming through... This is not on, so I believe I have a setting or an input wrong somehwere.

I am not sure what I need to do to get these working. The manual is on that link if anybody is really bored:)

What else can I try?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Does all channel stereo at least produce sound on them???

The thing the concerncs me, is you say you took the current SR speaker wires and connected them????

You going for 7.1, you need more wires. I don't think you can fool the AVR this way. You will really need all 7 speakers connected at the same time.

For 7.1 it will need to say DD EX or something to that effect on the AVR.

I just don't get how you have connected it. If all 7 speakers are not connected and listed as installed on the AVR setu[, you not going to get it.

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
According to the link that you posted, your receiver can only deal with 6.1. You can only hook up one rear speaker.

The first thing that I would do is make sure that all of my speakers were correctly connected. Then run the test tones to make sure that you are getting a signal to all of the speakers (and the correct signals are getting to the correct speakers). Once this is done, you know that the connections and the amps are working correctly.

The next thing you need to do is make sure that you have selected the proper signal from your dvd. Be sure that you are listening to the DD5.1EX or DTS-EX/ES. When the dvd is playing, have a look at the front of your receiver. It should tell you what signal it is processing. If you see something that corresponds to the signals above, then you should be good to go.

Finally, keep in mind that 6.1/7.1 sound does not guarantee a signal from the extra speaker. Frequently, the effect is very subtle. Oh yeah, one last piece of advice - place your rear speaker at least 1 foot above your ears. If you don't, you'll get wierd reflections that 'swap' the center and rear channels.

David

Chris Huber

Second Unit

Yes, only 6.1 channels, but it has 2 rear jacks for 7.1, it just monos them so you don't get the conflict of front and back center.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I know your wanting to do it only temp. But many AVR's just won't let you do that, unless really connected is all.

Chris Huber

Second Unit

Really? I thought Speaker jacks where only output... IE the reciever could not detect if you have speakers hooked up or not. For instance, If I unplugged the center channel, dialog would be gone, but all the surround sounds would play. This is how I wanted to test the SBs. I know the SRs would not play, I was just tring to test the SBs.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Moving them while the unit is on, may work. I have seen 7.1 / 6.1 AVR's that will not use the back channel(s) unless speakers are connected to the side surrounds 1st though.

Chris Huber

Second Unit
Well, I've gotten it to work! It turns out that a couple setting have to be set for it to work. You've got to turn on 6.1 FIX for it to work correctly.

This reciever also plays out of 7.1 speakers, even in regular 5.1. Makes things nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks