What's new

Genesis chip vs Farouda chip (1 Viewer)

Troy TN

Stunt Coordinator
I am planning on buying either the new Kenwood dv-5900m 400+3 progressive scan dvd/dvd audio player or the Denon DVM-4800 progressive dvd/dvd audio player.
Does anyone have any comments on the positives and negatives to each progressive chip they use mentioned above? Does one perform better than the other?
My guess is no one has either player and no one can say until they come out. I hope people start to give reviews on these.
The only bad thing with the Kenwood 400+3 dvd changer is its a whopping 22 inches deep (4 inches deeper than my Denon avr-5800 and I thought that was big) and it will hang off my av rack.
Both are comparatively priced and equally featured.
I'm mainly curious on the chips and the dreaded mpeg bug.
Your thoughts?
Thanks - Troy

ScottFauque

Agent
Have you checked out:
Link Removed
and
Link Removed
May answer some of your questions. I'm looking at the 5900 myself.
HTH, Scott Fauque

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The Genesis chip is not as good as the Silicon Image and Faroudga when the video is not film sourced or has incorrect field flagging for 3-2 pulldown.
The difference is subtle as viewed, but technically explained as not fully motion adaptive. The Genesis either interpolates the entire frame or merges the entire frame using consecutive fields. The best motion adaptiveness interpolates parts of the frame and merges other parts of the frame, possibly changing back and forth thousands of times per frame.
More on line doublers: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm
[Edited last by Allan Jayne on September 08, 2001 at 11:07 AM]

Han

Second Unit
When you're talking about the new Denon 4800, though, this is supposed to be the new Genesis chip, not the one in the Panasonics and older players from the Secrets Shootouts.

Robert George

Screenwriter
The Denon uses the Silicon Image chip, not the Genesis. Kenwood is using the Sage/Faroujda, as is the new Panasonic RP56. Of course, the RP56 does not offer the scaling feature of the RP91 since that is a function of the new Genesis chipset.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks