What's new

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays (2 Viewers)

RollieNZ

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Rowley

Slightly off topic as it's not yet available on blu-ray AFAIK.

Saw this at the Sydney International Film Festival last week.
Highly recommended.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I watched the musical Tick Tick ,BOOM last night on Netflix. I most enjoyable film although I never liked the musical RENT due to the cast all wearing microphones on the sides of their faces. Andrew Garfield was superb in the film. He was also brilliant in the National Theatre in London on stage in ANGELS IN AMERICA which I was able to stream some time ago. In one scene in Tick,Tick,BOOM all the electricity is turned off in an apartment but the person is able to make a phone call. How was that possible?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I watched the musical Tick Tick ,BOOM last night on Netflix. I most enjoyable film although I never liked the musical RENT due to the cast all wearing microphones on the sides of their faces. Andrew Garfield was superb in the film. He was also brilliant in the National Theatre in London on stage in ANGELS IN AMERICA which I was able to stream some time ago. In one scene in Tick,Tick,BOOM all the electricity is turned off in an apartment but the person is able to make a phone call. How was that possible?

Coincidentally, we did too! I usually let my fiance pick the movies we watch since he has a super short attention span...he's been known to turn a movie off within the first 20 minutes. Me, on the other hand, I'll power through something I don't like so I can speak about it later. But he picked Tick, Tick, Boom based on it's connection to Rent. (Also sidenote, my fiance is not a fan of musicals. He bailed on In the Heights this summer at that magic 20 minute mark and will only watch a Disney musical for me.)

Anyway, I loved Tick, Tick, Boom. Garfield is amazingly spectacular, there is wall to wall music, the story stays on topic with Larson's life and showed all the ways his experience led up to making Rent. One of my faves of the year.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Some old fashioned telephone landlines (not mobile phones) did not require electricity to work.
All corded landline phones work using power from the supplier. As they will have battery back up, and the required voltage is so low, the system should even work if there is a power outage at the transmission end.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
All corded landline phones work using power from the supplier. As they will have battery back up, and the required voltage is so low, the system should even work if there is a power outage at the transmission end.
NOT TRUE! When my internet provider is servicing the system in my area, my landline does not work. They are both connected to the same provider. In Australia all our internet goes through the Government owned National Broadband Network. Internet providers have to buy data from them and then sell it to whichever provider that you belong to. Same goes for Electricity.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

NOT TRUE! When my internet provider is servicing the system in my area, my landline does not work. They are both connected to the same provider. In Australia all our internet goes through the Government owned National Broadband Network. Internet providers have to buy data from them and then sell it to whichever provider that you belong to. Same goes for Electricity.

In ANY event, guys, the 1990 New York phone service found in TICK TICK BOOM would have worked perfectly well without electricity as the time of cable/internet phone providers wouldn't be on the horizon for years to come.

It's the same way Paulette Goddard was able to talk on the telephone during a power outtage in the opening moments of THE GHOST BREAKERS way back in 1940. There was no connection between phone service and the consumer power supply until relatively recently.

Last edited:

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
NOT TRUE! When my internet provider is servicing the system in my area, my landline does not work.
Is this not because your landline does not use the power supplied to the rest of your house..?

(To prove I'm not completely hi-jacking this thread, I have seen TTB and thought it OK. Musicals are not my thing, but 'Come to your senses' was a useful injection of emotion)

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
(To prove I'm not completely hi-jacking this thread, I have seen TTB and thought it OK. Musicals are not my thing, but 'Come to your senses' was a useful injection of emotion)

I'm kind of the same, not because musicals aren't my thing but because RENT isn't really my thing (I don't trust musicals that people who don't otherwise like musicals like, lol) and this reminds me a lot of that, for obvious reasons. I thought it was fine and I'm glad I saw it but I'm good with having seen it once. Love that Lin really packed it with fun cameos, though.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Love that Lin really packed it with fun cameos, though.
I wouldn't have known who they were anyway!

I don't think I'd even heard of Rent before this (other than the Pet Shop Boys song) However, I'm intrigued that it is loosely based on La Boheme? Now I do like opera.... musicals are just too saccharine...

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
musicals are just too saccharine...

d1f6fc527b03f2b33527838e16137b67.gif

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched Tick, Tick....Boom! today. Well done, good to great singing, and a story I could get into, but I can't imagine it would be a movie I'd watch very often. Having access to it on Netflix will be fine even if they eventually release it on Criterion or some other label.

One did have to pay attention since the presentation of T,T,...B and Supurbia were both on-stage sung productions (though Supurbia had a more extensive cast). And all those Broadway greats cameoing in "Sunday" were a bit distracting as I was trying to identify everyone instead of just enjoying the satirical slant of comparing Larson's "Sunday" to Sondheim's "Sunday."

I've never seen the show on stage, so this was really my introduction to it.

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
And all those Broadway greats cameoing in "Sunday" were a bit distracting as I was trying to identify everyone instead of just enjoying the satirical slant of comparing Larson's "Sunday" to Sondheim's "Sunday."

I've never seen the show on stage, so this was really my introduction to it.

The fun part (and what will REALLY drive you crazy if you let it) is trying to place all of the less recognizable cameos (including Manuel's dad as a concierge) peppered throughout the movie!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The fun part (and what will REALLY drive you crazy if you let it) is trying to place all of the less recognizable cameos (including Manuel's dad as a concierge) peppered throughout the movie!

Yes, I didn't know him, but I did notice other cameos sprinkled throughout the movie. I know sweet and loving Lin-Manuel was trying to give friends work and have fun during the pandemic, but sometimes they did distract.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Pray Away (Netflix)
Interesting documentary on “conversion therapy“ that follows several people on both sides: those who have “converted“ and have denounced it, and those who continue to “recruit“ (for lack of a better term). It’s well done but I wish they’d delved more into how those that now denounce it deal with their feelings and guilt. As a 60 year old gay man I lived a lot of my life in the closet, lying and hiding. But I can’t imagine ever feeling that there was any way something like this could “fix” me. Definitely thought provoking.
4/5 stars
436D44C9-4559-42F9-BC25-E0EA5C9B8965.jpeg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched Single All the Way tonight on Netflix. Pure fluff, predictable, pleasant but unsensational. The guys are gorgeous and likable, money is no object (though they sometimes complain about not having any), and everything's just a bit too perfect and scrubbed squeaky clean. And the one my heart went out to was Luke MacFarlane's character who gets far too little screen time and for me is the most interesting man in the group.

And I always have a knee-jerk reaction to other people (and here it's the WHOLE cast) playing matchmaker and trying to set people up instead of letting them arrive at their own decisions in their own good time. As someone who had that problem myself in my younger days with people trying to always fix me up convinced I was a miserable single man, it's VERY irritating.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks