What's new

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays (1 Viewer)

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Anyone here watch Jane Campion's new film on Netflix, The Power of the Dog? Beautifully filmed and Benedict Cumberbatch was amazing in a very unlikable role. I won't give anything else away and will only say that it's about as far removed from Single All the Way as you can get.
I was just about to ask the same question. And I've been surprised at the number of friends for whom the ending went right over their heads. Yet Campion has laid out all the clues in plain site. A truly fascinating film.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Anyone here watch Jane Campion's new film on Netflix, The Power of the Dog?

A truly fascinating film.

I haven't seen it, gentlemen, but I appreciate the tips and will do so POST HASTE (though my cousin is in this weekend so I may not have time till Sunday.) Thank you both!

Count me as one who was also disappointed with the fluffiness and easy jokes of SINGLE ALL THE WAY. Perhaps my expectations were too high so it didn't stand a chance but I wanted more from it than I guess it was able to give. Don't get me wrong, it was a pleasant time passer (perfect for this time of the year) but I got more of an emotional rush from the "Hallmark adjacent" holiday movie CASTLE FOR CHRISTMAS (not gay but please don't judge me, I wanted to support Brooke Shields and Cary Elwes, lol.)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Anyone here watch Jane Campion's new film on Netflix, The Power of the Dog? Beautifully filmed and Benedict Cumberbatch was amazing in a very unlikable role. I won't give anything else away and will only say that it's about as far removed from Single All the Way as you can get.
I haven't watched it yet, but it's in the queue.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
I was just about to ask the same question. And I've been surprised at the number of friends for whom the ending went right over their heads. Yet Campion has laid out all the clues in plain site. A truly fascinating film.
It is a truly fascinating film and that ending. Whoa! Didn't go over my head. A friend of mine called me yesterday to say I needed to see it, so I watched it last night. Right after it was over we were texting back and forth.

I'll be interested to see what the rest of you think.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched The Power of the Dog tonight. Like so many of Campion's films, it has a somberly hypnotic quality to it. Some people have said it's 20 minutes too long, but I don't agree. It held my attention stunningly throughout. I was deeply saddened by the film, and that ending is certainly one of the most stunning in some time. Everyone is acting out of their skins, and they're brilliant. And is that cinematography ever mesmerizing, too!

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Count me as one who was also disappointed with the fluffiness and easy jokes of SINGLE ALL THE WAY. Perhaps my expectations were too high so it didn't stand a chance
Even with Matt Hough's review warnings (see post 2,938), this was lame. The trailer had more energy and all the best lines - how many times has that happened before? ;)
Oh well, let's hope it's a precursor for better things to come.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Well, let's see....we've still got The Christmas Set-Up 2 coming. Anything else gay-slanted for the holiday season?

Wow, I really liked the first one (far more than I should have, I feel) but had no idea we were getting a sequel. I KNEW there was going to be a Christmas House 2 but another Setup I could get behind!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Wow, I really liked the first one (far more than I should have, I feel) but had no idea we were getting a sequel. I KNEW there was going to be a Christmas House 2 but another Setup I could get behind!
Troll :P You know very well Matt misspoke and meant Christmas House 2. But I agree. I loved Christmas Set-Up, but not so much Christmas House.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Troll :P You know very well Matt misspoke and meant Christmas House 2. But I agree. I loved Christmas Set-Up, but not so much Christmas House.

I was hoping he was right!

(and how DARE you? LOL) :lol: :lol:
tenor (4).gif

Last edited:

MacVoutie

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry Minkoff
Watched Theo & Hugo (Paris 05:59) last night.

Whoa! This is NOT your father's gay flick -- but I really liked it. The first 20 minutes feature explicit sex, beautifully shot in reds & blues. Afterwards the movie moves out into the late night streets of Paris, as the developing passion between the two leads collides with some harsh realities.

FYI, the UK Blu-ray from Peccadillo Pictures appears to be Region Free. There is no region code indicated on the sleeve and the disc played without problems in my Region A player.

This is available for streaming on the subscription site mubi (with which I have no connection except as a new subscriber).

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
I'm with you boys. I would love a follow-up to The Christmas Setup. Absolutely loved it! I'd like to see the next chapter in these character's lives. Even if it's another holiday or no holiday altogether.

My partner of 25 years (as of this Dec. 9th) and who is older than I am said after we watched it that he never thought he would see something like this on mainstream television in his lifetime. And no pun intended as to the original broadcaster, Lifetime.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
By the way, I found POWER OF THE DOG to be everything that's been said about it. It was mesmerizing to watch and Cumberbatch blew me away. He's a far better actor than I even realized. The feeling of watching it reminded me of the mis en scene created by DAYS OF HEAVEN, though I must admit that movie, as much as I wanted to love it, has always left me cold. This one had me in its spell all the way. Thanks again for the recommendation!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
By the way, I found POWER OF THE DOG to be everything that's been said about it. It was mesmerizing to watch and Cumberbatch blew me away. He's a far better actor than I even realized. The feeling of watching it reminded me of the mis en scene created by DAYS OF HEAVEN, though I must admit that movie, as much as I wanted to love it, has always left me cold. This one had me in its spell all the way. Thanks again for the recommendation!
I've been talking it up to everybody I know who subscribes to Netflix. (Also, Tick, tick....Boom!)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I watched Single All the Way tonight on Netflix. Pure fluff, predictable, pleasant but unsensational. The guys are gorgeous and likable, money is no object (though they sometimes complain about not having any), and everything's just a bit too perfect and scrubbed squeaky clean. And the one my heart went out to was Luke MacFarlane's character who gets far too little screen time and for me is the most interesting man in the group.

And I always have a knee-jerk reaction to other people (and here it's the WHOLE cast) playing matchmaker and trying to set people up instead of letting them arrive at their own decisions in their own good time. As someone who had that problem myself in my younger days with people trying to always fix me up convinced I was a miserable single man, it's VERY irritating.
To be honest I've have never understood the appeal of the Lifetime/Hallmark rom-coms or Christmas movies. Now, take that genre and populate it with shrill characters and obvious stereotypes and I think it's probably pretty obvious what I thought of this.

Painful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks