What's new

Game suggestions for older consoles. . . (1 Viewer)

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
After regretting for years the fact that I gave away my old Genesis/CD/32x and Saturn, I have managed to reacquire both. I also bought a ColecoVision (my first console as a kid!) and I've found an NES and Super Nintendo cheap. As long as I can get the stuff cheap, I see no reason to pass on these machines -- I played some classics on them and look forward to doing so again!

So, what games should I be on the lookout for in the used/bargain bins? I'm especially looking for NES/SNES suggestions as I never owned those consoles in their prime.

Thanks.

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
All Super Nintendo Games

Super Metroid
All 3 Donkey Kong Country Games
Yoshi's Island (only Mario game I like so I gotta plug it)
Killer Instinct
Beavis and Butthead (just kiddin, but the game is funny as hell although it kinda sucks)
Earthworm Jim 1 and 2
Samurai Showdown
Super Mario Kart
Final Fight 3
Arkanoid (pretty addictive and old school, used to play it in computer class on floppy disk)
Ms Pacman (even more addictive and old school)

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
One of the best games ever for NES if you can find it for cheap is Super Dodgeball. If you find it for less then 10 bucks do not even hesitate to buy it, just snatch it before whoever is selling it realizes how much they just lost.
Some of my other favorite games, which should be easier to find, are
NES
Tecmo Bowl
Super Tecmo Bowl
Jordan Vs. Bird
Trog
Exictebike
Skate or Die 2(essential)
SNES
Mortal Kombat 2
Ken Griffey Junior Baseball
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
NBA Jam Tournament Edition
Tetris Attack(the best puzzle game ever)

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
You have got to play all the old Zelda games.
NES:
The Legend of Zelda (classic)
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (some hated it, I loved it)
SNES:
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (one of the best games of all time)
The main problem I see with this situation is that I would question whether or not you can find these games with internal batteries that still work.
Also looking into playing some of the Final Fantasy games. Final Fantasy II (FF IV in Japan) for the SNES is my all-time favorite FF game.
For NES I also loved the Ninja Gaiden games, Metroid Faxanadu, Dragon Warrior, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Contra, Heavy Barrel, Gradius II, Life Force, Metal Gear, Super Mario Bros 1 & 2 (US), and Ikari Warriors. Those are all I can think of right now, it's much too late :)

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
If you like baseball games, pickup Bases Loaded for the NES. It is one of the best Baseball games ever. There was nothing like pitching a no-hitter in that game.

-Dean-

Jason Borchers

Second Unit
Get every NES/SNES game with the name "Mario" on it, especially Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World. They are all excellent, with the exception of the edutainment titles (e.g. Mario is Missing).
Other than that, I'll try to recommend games others haven't already mentioned:
NES:
Adventure Island
Bubble Bobble
Kirby's Adventure (BEST GAME EVER)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (great for 2 players)
SNES:
F-Zero
Lemmings
The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (seriously, it's a very fun Capcom platformer, also due soon on the GBA)
SimCity
StarFox
There are many more I'm surely forgetting...

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. I'm headed to a local indy store this evening to hunt some of these down. If you think of any more, keep 'em coming. . .

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Try getting some of the older MegaMan games. I was a big fan of MM1-7 on NES until I played MMX on SNES, which is now one of my favorite game series'.

Andre F

Screenwriter
Super Metroid, this is reason enough to own a SNES. I just received this as a gift!!! Now to dig out my SNES...
-Andre F

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Cool! I consider it not only one of the greatest NES games, but one of the greatest games period. I can't remember any other game ever making me as happy.
Yup, I'm a bigtime Kirby fan. For as simple as the games are difficulty wise, I like the style & sense of humour of the characters/worlds combined with the designers desire to play with the toys they provide.

John Chow

Second Unit
Well, since no one has thrown out any Genesis recommendations...

Streets of Rage 2 & 3 (final fight style game)

Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion
(very well done game, on Hard, difficulty is absurd) Highly recommended if you like Mario type games.

Golden Axe
Altered Beast
Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3
Shadow Dancer (Shinobi type game)
Shinobi 3 (there were presumably others)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks