What's new

Galactica fans, LAST CHANCE TO CHANGE THE WAY IT GOES (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
http://www.3dgladiators.com/forums/s...threadid=18848

The material in this post comes from a 100% reliable source. Universal has actually germinated a clue and have noticed the thousand+ snail mail letters on their door.

We have a choice, prequel or remake. We KNOW the remake is blasphemous to the core, and will suck harder than a thousand hoovers. And if everything goes well, they will entertain a REAL revival of the show

THis is our chance to make our voices heard, and turn the tide! And given that Moore is actually a competant writer, a prequel under his command shouldn't flush down the john like Enterprise.

Please Vote!
Please Vote Prequel!

Patrick_M

Stunt Coordinator
I have cast my vote for the prequel. Hopefully our voices will be heard. :D

Starbuck as woman, what a crock....:angry:

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
I don't mind the reimagining as long as it just adds to what we've learned before and don't have to divide fandom into trying to decide what the "real" BG is. The reimagining would work if it focused on other elements of the BG universe concurrently with the old series.

But I voted for prequel, because I have the most confidence in it.

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Somedays, you just go against the flow…

Sorry, but I think the execution of the original concept has hurt the franchise too much to set it up as a prequel. I think the re-imaging is the best course for the show. I do not have a problem with the character names being the same (especially with the call signs being made clear).

No more “Darn you, daggit”! It really needs to be made into an intelligent, adult series. The concepts behind the story is, imho, more important. So what if call sign Starbuck is now a woman? By severing the past, they can move the series on. Intelligent Sci-Fi is what I hope to get. By keeping it tied to what has come before will doom it. Again, IMHO.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I think they should forget the whole thing and use the money to renew "Farscape".

But that's just me. A prequel doesn't really interest me any more than a "re-imagining" does.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I agree with Paul. BG is popular among a core groupd of sci-fi fans, but it's also decades old. I can't honestly see a re-imagining OR a prequel doing all that well.

On the other hand, re-imagining it would matter little to most outside this core fanbase, even while angering longtime fans. It's a double-edged sword.

Which is why it's a bad idea in the first place.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think they should forget the whole thing and use the money to renew "Farscape".
Word.

But if we must have Galactica, let Ron Moore do what he wants. I'd rather see a talented writer's vision than something which has been surveyed and focus-grouped into "what we think the audience wants".

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Jason, if you read the article, this has not been focused grouped into "what the audience wants" this has been DEMANDED by organized mail-in protest campaigns.

Universal has gotten over one THOUSAND letters on the subject of blasphemous remake= Won't watch

In contrast, the typical show after it airs gets around 30 when they do something conservative groups find offensive

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
So, basically, it's okay to tell a writer to make wholesale changes a month before filming begins if a lot of people with too much free time on their hands writes in? Especially in an obviously organized campaign.

Quite frankly, I would rather put my faith in Moore than you guys. Don't take that as insulting, but the guy's a professional with a track record. And it's just the principle of the thing; I think it's a better idea for the writer to chart the course of a show than the audience.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
He is a professional with a track record

He has also blasphemed a beloved series, and that needed to be stopped. I agree that 2 months before shooting is NOT an optimal thing, but honestly all the sets, costumes, etc can be adapted to a prequel fairly easily.

I honestly do feel that the studio wanted a remake, and Moore provided one, and that once given an opportunity not to blaspheme he will repent with a series that will respect the original

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Well, a prequel wouldn't be that great. I mean things were basically pretty normal for their society, just there was this war going on with the Cylons and the series starts with the supposed signing of a treaty, IIRC.

So, I guess a re-imagining or a continuation would be the best choice. Pick up yearns after the show left off, different case, a new generation, in fact The Next Generation! ;)

Hey, maybe one Battlestar got flung to another quadrant of the galaxy and we can watch them journey home. They make it only to find their planets occupied by the Cylons.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
On the other hand, re-imagining it would matter little to most outside this core fanbase, even while angering longtime fans. It's a double-edged sword.
The problem is that for many non-fans, the name "Battlestar Galactica" equals suckage. That may not be fair, but that's what people seem to thing.

To these people a re-imagined "Galactica" is just re-imagined suckage. They won't be interested.

For the small core of people who loved the original show (like me), a re-imagining/blaspheming of what we loved is also suckage.

They're target audience has to be people who never heard of the original show. At that point, why bother using the old name?

Joel C

Screenwriter
I honestly do feel that the studio wanted a remake, and Moore provided one, and that once given an opportunity not to blaspheme he will repent with a series that will respect the original
What is it with you and equating TV shows with flowery religous prose? ;)

I'm sure this has been said before, but if it is a "blasphemous" remake, know what you can do? DON'T WATCH. Don't think about it. Don't read about it. Don't post about it. If it upsets you, then don't let it.

I'm not saying that you can't be critical of TV, but in a situation like this, where you are bashing what may very well be an excellent show because of a loyalty to the original, then there is no point--you aren't giving it a chance.

I thought Voyager "blasphemed" TNG and the OS, and I feel the same way about Enterprise. So I simply deleted both from my VCR's programming and pretended they didn't exist.

Just go watch your original BG DVDs or whatever, and don't let this new show ruin your mood.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I thought Voyager "blasphemed" TNG and the OS, and I feel the same way about Enterprise. So I simply deleted both from my VCR's programming and pretended they didn't exist.
Voyager never claimed to be TOS or TNG, it never took, or attempted to take the place of either series in official canon. While it may have sucked, it did not blaspheme.

Blaspheming specifically refers to the wholesale alteration of someone else's work for no purpose or reason

Example- Merging the characters of Arwen and Glorfindel- not blasphemy because it served to involve you more in one character rather than a ton of throwaways

Faramir kidnapping Frodo- Blasphemy. WHolesale invention of scenes for no reason whatsoever other than a seeming desire to have cool Black Rider shots.

Voyager is very much apart from the rest of Trek. Granted it neutered one of the coolest villains, but other than that there was virtually no connection. I am always very careful to stick to this absolute definition of this usage of the word

There is no need to remake the original show. BSG: The Next Generation would have worked fine, and allowed them to build on the original much like NextGen did, and hopefully without the sterilizer TNG had. Instead, Moore has applied unnecessary wholesale alteration to his "reimagination" (Hollywood code word for blaspheming) of Galactica.

My whole point is: Why fix what isn't broken? There's a fantastic base here, you even have a cliffhanger to build from! (the recieving of the Apollo 11 transmission). There is so much that could be done with this show. I know exactly what I'd do with it, and both Ron Moore and Universal should have paid attention to the people who remember the word Galactica. Now they are, and I can only see good coming of it

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Never let the fans write the shows or demand where they go. It invariably leads to "suckage". If they go and change their plans to what the fans want, well, it's just one more show to avoid. I'd rather see what Moore had in mind come to fruition.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I tend to agree with Chris. We watch to see someone else's vision of things. If we wanted our own vision, that's what Fan Fiction is for. (And let me say that 90% of Fan Fiction is crap.)

As others have said, if you don't like it, don't watch.

That being said, you can say what you want to the creators, but if they don't agree with you, they aren't going listen. It also doesn't mean what the fans want is going to be best for the show.

Jason

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Ron Moore was one of the best Trek writers ever. He wrote some of the better TNG episodes and he wrote for DS9 which had the best storylines and charector development in Trek. He went to voyager and then left because he knew he couldnt write the garbage they wanted. Ron Moore wants to reinvision battle star. I say let him and im sure he will do a good job. Sometimes its good to listen to fans other times the fans should calm down and let good writers write. Shows like Enterprise, Andromeda, Earth:FC all had great promise but when they started listening to the miniority of shows fans or people who dont like sci-fi in the first place they decide to change something around which makes it crap.

Capt

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Ron Moore wants to reinvision battle star. I say let him and im sure he will do a good job. Sometimes
That's the problem, he HASN'T done a good job. Even as a stand-alone script it's full of holes. It's a BAD SCRIPT on top of the fact that it's 100% blasphemy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks