1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Galactica fans, LAST CHANCE TO CHANGE THE WAY IT GOES

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Kleist, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

http://www.3dgladiators.com/forums/s...threadid=18848

The material in this post comes from a 100% reliable source. Universal has actually germinated a clue and have noticed the thousand+ snail mail letters on their door.

We have a choice, prequel or remake. We KNOW the remake is blasphemous to the core, and will suck harder than a thousand hoovers. And if everything goes well, they will entertain a REAL revival of the show

THis is our chance to make our voices heard, and turn the tide! And given that Moore is actually a competant writer, a prequel under his command shouldn't flush down the john like Enterprise.

Please Vote!
    Please Vote Prequel!

2. Patrick_M

Patrick_M Stunt Coordinator

I have cast my vote for the prequel. Hopefully our voices will be heard. [​IMG]

Starbuck as woman, what a crock....[​IMG]

3. Michael St. Clair

I've got no beef with the re-imagining as long as all of the character names are changed.

4. Lee Jamilkowski

Lee Jamilkowski Stunt Coordinator

I don't mind the reimagining as long as it just adds to what we've learned before and don't have to divide fandom into trying to decide what the "real" BG is. The reimagining would work if it focused on other elements of the BG universe concurrently with the old series.

But I voted for prequel, because I have the most confidence in it.

5. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Stunt Coordinator

Somedays, you just go against the flow…

Sorry, but I think the execution of the original concept has hurt the franchise too much to set it up as a prequel. I think the re-imaging is the best course for the show. I do not have a problem with the character names being the same (especially with the call signs being made clear).

No more “Darn you, daggit”! It really needs to be made into an intelligent, adult series. The concepts behind the story is, imho, more important. So what if call sign Starbuck is now a woman? By severing the past, they can move the series on. Intelligent Sci-Fi is what I hope to get. By keeping it tied to what has come before will doom it. Again, IMHO.

6. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I think they should forget the whole thing and use the money to renew "Farscape".

But that's just me. A prequel doesn't really interest me any more than a "re-imagining" does.

7. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

I agree with Paul. BG is popular among a core groupd of sci-fi fans, but it's also decades old. I can't honestly see a re-imagining OR a prequel doing all that well.

On the other hand, re-imagining it would matter little to most outside this core fanbase, even while angering longtime fans. It's a double-edged sword.

Which is why it's a bad idea in the first place.

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

9. Jeff Kleist

Jason, if you read the article, this has not been focused grouped into "what the audience wants" this has been DEMANDED by organized mail-in protest campaigns.

Universal has gotten over one THOUSAND letters on the subject of blasphemous remake= Won't watch

In contrast, the typical show after it airs gets around 30 when they do something conservative groups find offensive

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

So, basically, it's okay to tell a writer to make wholesale changes a month before filming begins if a lot of people with too much free time on their hands writes in? Especially in an obviously organized campaign.

Quite frankly, I would rather put my faith in Moore than you guys. Don't take that as insulting, but the guy's a professional with a track record. And it's just the principle of the thing; I think it's a better idea for the writer to chart the course of a show than the audience.

11. Jeff Kleist

He is a professional with a track record

He has also blasphemed a beloved series, and that needed to be stopped. I agree that 2 months before shooting is NOT an optimal thing, but honestly all the sets, costumes, etc can be adapted to a prequel fairly easily.

I honestly do feel that the studio wanted a remake, and Moore provided one, and that once given an opportunity not to blaspheme he will repent with a series that will respect the original

12. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Well, a prequel wouldn't be that great. I mean things were basically pretty normal for their society, just there was this war going on with the Cylons and the series starts with the supposed signing of a treaty, IIRC.

So, I guess a re-imagining or a continuation would be the best choice. Pick up yearns after the show left off, different case, a new generation, in fact The Next Generation! [​IMG]

Hey, maybe one Battlestar got flung to another quadrant of the galaxy and we can watch them journey home. They make it only to find their planets occupied by the Cylons.

13. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott

14. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

15. Jeff Kleist

16. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

Voiced my opinions on the two polls. Here's hoping we can help make a change.

-g

17. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

Never let the fans write the shows or demand where they go. It invariably leads to "suckage". If they go and change their plans to what the fans want, well, it's just one more show to avoid. I'd rather see what Moore had in mind come to fruition.

18. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I tend to agree with Chris. We watch to see someone else's vision of things. If we wanted our own vision, that's what Fan Fiction is for. (And let me say that 90% of Fan Fiction is crap.)

As others have said, if you don't like it, don't watch.

That being said, you can say what you want to the creators, but if they don't agree with you, they aren't going listen. It also doesn't mean what the fans want is going to be best for the show.

Jason

19. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Ron Moore was one of the best Trek writers ever. He wrote some of the better TNG episodes and he wrote for DS9 which had the best storylines and charector development in Trek. He went to voyager and then left because he knew he couldnt write the garbage they wanted. Ron Moore wants to reinvision battle star. I say let him and im sure he will do a good job. Sometimes its good to listen to fans other times the fans should calm down and let good writers write. Shows like Enterprise, Andromeda, Earth:FC all had great promise but when they started listening to the miniority of shows fans or people who dont like sci-fi in the first place they decide to change something around which makes it crap.

Capt

20. Jeff Kleist