What's new

'Futurama' coming to Cartoon Network (1 Viewer)

AndrewD

Stunt Coordinator
From cynopsis.com:

"The Cartoon Network has acquired the cable TV rights to all 72 episodes of Futurama (20th). Futurama will appear on Cartoon starting this January, within their Adult Swim block (10p-1a, Sundays). The five year deal, which is exclusive only to cable, will cost Cartoon in the neighborhood of $10 million."

The sole airing in Adult Swim is tentative. There is also talk of stripping the show Sunday through Thursday at 10p or 11p. Either way, this is a pretty big acquisition for the network.

Since this is the exclusive place for syndicated 'Futurama', I wonder how this will affect a possible DVD release here in the States?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The five year deal, which is exclusive only to cable,

Since this is the exclusive place for syndicated 'Futurama'
Argh, the "Jeff Kleist not understanding the definition of syndication" meme is spreading.

Fox clearly reserves the right to syndicate the show to local stations.

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe Toonzone will actually respect the show, giving it a good time slot and allowing us to see episodes we have not yet seen thanks to the great programming scheduling at Fox.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
They said specifically "exclusive only to cable", so Jason is correct that broadcast airing is still wide open

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I would much rather they use Adult Swim for NEW programming (and anime new to the US) only.

Well, maybe even though these are old reruns, this might actually draw some new viewers to the block...maybe.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I agree. Please, no "futurama" reruns in adult swim. Something has to replace "The Oblongs" - which in a lot of ways seems a pale, unfunnier retread of Duckman - but surely not futurama reruns.

(Of course, I'll take "futurama" over a return of the even worse "Baby blues". Still, there needs to be something worthy of Home Movies, Sealab 2021, Harvey Birdman, Aqua Teen, etc., for that 10:30 slot. Futurama reruns sure as hell ain't it.)

AndrewD

Stunt Coordinator
Fox clearly reserves the right to syndicate the show to local stations.
Technically, yes, you are absolutely correct and I definitely misspoke (or mistyped). But though your post talks strictly semantics, the reality of the matter is FOX may 'reserve the right', but who would buy?

Unless they make more, FOX will have less than 100 shows to sell which is usually, but not always, the magic syndication number. Plus Cartoon Network will be airing the show - most likely every night - for almost a year before the next syndicated season comes around.

FOX's handling of it has arguably kept it from being a true ratings success. So if you owned a local TV station, or even a cable network, would your money be best spent on this particular show? I wouldn't waste the money, and FOX should be thankful Cartoon Network picked it up - especially for $10 million!

You posted solely to correct me, but in the grand scheme of television programming, your point is moot.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I remember hearing that they had 2 full seasons of Futurama to air, so 16 for the first season sounds right. Then again, what do I know.

I would love it if CN would move Adult Swim into other nights of the week besides Saturday (which is only anime) and Sunday (which is a bunch of 15 minute shows and a couple of 30 minute shows). If they made Adult Swim into a 2 hour block on every night (or even 2 or 3 nights a week besides the anime one) then I would be dandy.

I say bring Futurama on!

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I would much rather they use Adult Swim for NEW programming (and anime new to the US) only.
As long as they can pick up the pace of original production, sure. But from the slug-like rollouts of new Brak, Aqua Teens and Harvey Birdman, that might be asking too much.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
http://titantv.com/ttv/home/StoryDet...MA-DC_txt.html
thats the whole article in case anyone wants to read it.
Cartoon has the cable rights to "Futurama" for five years. But the deal is not exclusive: Syndicator Twentieth Television reserves the right to sell it in syndication if TV stations should show an interest at some point in buying the rerun episodes

Patrick Cate

Stunt Coordinator
Just so long as they don't cancel "Mission Hill" I'm fine with them putting it in their Adult Swim block.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I'd consider it a welcome addition to the adult swim block in replace of the horribly unfunny Oblongs. Futurama was, IMHO, some of the best on the air cartoon programming in a long while and made me laugh :) Whereas the Oblongs is just horrible. Futurama would fit right in before Sealab 2021 and after Home Movies..
I just wish Cartoon Network could dig up old copies of Dr. Katz and original "The Tick" cartoon to put anywhere :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks