What's new

Theatrical Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024) (4 Viewers)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’m looking forward to updates on the box office.

$3.5 million U.S. so far…

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
$3.5 million in previews on Thursday. Just under the $3.7 Fury Road made

Estimates are a $40 million 4 day opening.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Pearls before swine, based on the BO.

Very much it’s own thing, while managing to deepen, quite richly, her character in Fury Road. Lead performances are quite good, and the weirdness of the Wasteland is in full bloom. Lighter on action scenes, but the ones we get are magnificent. I’ll be shocked if I see a better movie this summer. Not quite the masterpiece that FR is, but certainly a worthy companion.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Sadly Furiosa is coming in below expectations with about $31-34 million with Garfield closing in.

It will be the weakest Memorial Day opening in 40 years.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think a Mad Max movie without Mad Max was always going to be a tougher sell. Plus, as Deadline notes, "... dystopian motorcycle-and-truck tattooed-gang movies in the desert aren’t for everybody."

Fury Road also wasn't a runaway financial success, with a worldwide gross of only $380M vs. budget around $150M. Odd if Warner thought this one would expand the audience. Deadline also says Warner took on the entire financing for this film, rather than splitting with their production partners, so whatever happens it's all on their balance sheet.

Last edited:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I’m pretty certain the budget on this was smaller. But money doesn’t buy directorial brilliance. I’d happily trade every MCU and every Star Wars since 2015 for this one film.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I’m pretty certain the budget on this was smaller. But money doesn’t buy directorial brilliance. I’d happily trade every MCU and every Star Wars since 2015 for this one film.
Budget for Furiosa was actually higher at $168 million vs $150 million for Fury Road. With inflation they’re probably about the same.

If these estimates are confirmed looks like a $90-100 million domestic gross.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Sadly Furiosa is coming in below expectations with about $31-34 million with Garfield closing in.

I think we should all buy 100 tickets right now!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

I think we should all buy 100 tickets right now!

Budget for Furiosa was actually higher at $168 million vs $150 million for Fury Road. With inflation they’re probably about the same.

If these estimates are confirmed looks like a $90-100 million domestic gross.
I think something we can all do is buy 100 tickets right now!

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Just got back. Large Cinemark XD theater. 30 people at most. Ouch.

It takes a long time to get going, but, once it does, it's quite solid. Being the 5th best in this series is nothing to be ashamed of.

Attachments

• XD.jpeg
    XD.jpeg
    850.2 KB · Views: 9

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This movie wouldn't have been a runaway hit at another time but Memorial Day (and Fourth Of July) are just lousy dates to release a movie now. There's multiple factors at play but times have changed and people are more interested in going to a barbecue than the movies on Memorial Day. While Top Gun 2 made a zillion dollars a couple of years ago (and that's probably why Warners went with Memorial Day for Furiosa), that was because large numbers of people were legitimately excited to see it and Mad Max/Furiosa is not Top Gun so unless you have a guaranteed hit, Memorial Day is a lousy release date.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This movie wouldn't have been a runaway hit at another time

But it’s apparently budgeted as if it was guaranteed to be a runaway hit and I think that’s a big part of the problem, not just specifically with this film but Hollywood films in general. If this indeed cost the $165ish million that’s been rumored, that requires about a $500 million gross to break even, and there’s really nothing in the history of the series to suggest that that was a reasonable probability. And yet, they spent it anyway.

George Miller is a talented action director and I don’t blame him for taking money that his project was offered, but I also think he is perfectly capable of making an equally astonishing movie for far less, as he’s demonstrated many times over the course of his career.

The takeaway from the studio executives and pundits on Monday morning (or Tuesday since it’s a holiday weekend) will be that no one wanted to see another Mad Max movie, or that no one wants action movies with female leads, and I think that completely misses the point. This movie will probably do $100 million domestically and at least that overseas. Clearly people want to see it. It’s not an issue of not wanting a Mad Max movie or not liking female leads. It’s an issue of vastly overspending on the fifth installment of a cult film. And if they had properly budgeted it, a $200+ million worldwide gross could have been a nice reward instead of a drop in a bucket.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
I predicted all the way back to when Fury Road was released that a sequel at this budget level would be a very risky bet regardless of the great reviews and awards hype.
I took almost 9 years, but I guess they thought it was still worth that roll of the dice.
Saw it with my own eyes - a 10% full opening weekend Saturday showing.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I predicted all the way back to when Fury Road was released that a sequel at this budget level would be a very risky bet regardless of the great reviews and awards hype.
I took almost 9 years, but I guess they thought it was still worth that roll of the dice.
Evening showing??

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
For what it's worth we went to the Thursday 6:30 pm showing at Market Mall and our theatre was about 50% sold, including all of the premium seats.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
For what it's worth we went to the Thursday 6:30 pm showing at Market Mall and our theatre was about 50% sold, including all of the premium seats.
I’m an outlier as well. Went to a 3pm Thursday showing. Huge imax theater. I did t really get a gauge on the audience number nor did I think about it at the time. I’ll say under 50 people though.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Chris Hemsworth is also not any kind of box office draw unless he's playing Thor, and he's the biggest "star" in this. Somehow they spent the same or more on this film, but traded away most of the star-power of the prior film that included Charlize Theron, Tom Hardy, and Nicolas Hoult.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Chris Hemsworth is also not any kind of box office draw unless he's playing Thor, and he's the biggest "star" in this.

Oddly enough, the other night, he was a guest on Colbert (Anya Taylor-Joy was on the previous night). When he came on stage and sat down, I swear he got a bigger, louder ovation than just about any film star I can remember on Colbert's show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_graham861
Recent bookmarks