What's new

Funky colors on new Panasonic CT32-HX40 (1 Viewer)

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
The new set was delivered on time this morning and before I left I verified that it is the CT-32HX41E and the production date is May 2001.
Hopefully that 8 month difference to my previous set will mean less bugs.

Randall Z

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew,
Actually a tech guy was supposed to call to set up an appointment, but it has been two weeks and no call. I am going to go in to the store tommorrow to inquire about this.
Also I have noticed that the picture is very bright. Especially when watching a dark scene on DVD. The picture is almost flickering. Even when I turn down the brightness it has this problem.
By the way, let me know if you find a way to calibrate the picture for each input. I haven't figured it out (if it's even possible).
Good luck with your set!

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Well set #3 has the same geometry problems. I haven't used VE yet but I know I won't be keeping this set. I am going to have a chat with my saleman tomorrow about my options and then go from there.
If my best option end up being to keep plugging away but too view every set at the store like Peter advocates then thats what I will do. I'll keep the thread updated with what happens.
At the moment I'm pretty disillusioned with the whole mess. But it's been a long week and I'm tired.
8 months difference in manufacture dates and the bugs are still there. Thank you Panasonic!

Randall Z

Stunt Coordinator
Just an update on my '41. The tech from Myer-Emco came and adjusted the focus and the deflection yoke. This all but alleviated the geometry problems. They are still slight, but definitely much better. The tilt in the corners is gone, now all there is, is a slight bow in the middle of the bottom of the screen (does that make sense?) He had to take the set apart though. He did mention that ALL flat screen sets have some distortion because the yoke is too close to the screen. Anyway, the set looks pretty good now, I'm gonna decide this week whether to keep it.

I was the original creator of the "Funky colors on new Panasonic CT32-HX40" lost when HTF switched forum software. I actually have a belated update with a happy ending!

With my favorite football team in the AFC championship game, I purchased a CT-32HX41 yesterday. This was after going through three problematic CT-32HX40 in Feb - May 2001.

My plan was to buy from Tweeter instead of Sears so that I could actually try out the TV I would get in the store instead of just getting deliveries from the warehouse. Strangely, none of the local Tweeters had an unopened TV. All had been returns, which I decided not to bother with.

So, I did what I said I wouldn't do and went over to my local Circuit City and just bought the only boxed 32HX41 they had. It was $80 off and they had a promotion where you get a free Casio mini TV with purchase.

My brother and I brought it to my house and took it out of the box to find a couple of surface scratches on the front plastic frame which was a bad sign. The manufacture date was December, 2001 so I thought it was unlikely that this was a return.

So, we plop it in the armoire and plug it in. I made all the connections, crossed my fingers, turned it on and started to look for the imperfections my other 32HX40 sets had:

1. Geometry

There were NO noticeable geometry problems with ESPN and CNBC tickers! The Avia grid show some very minor skew, but nothing unexpected. Hurray!
  2. Color

I had one 32HX40 where things were REALLY green (blond hair, faces, dirt on a baseball field). I didn't notice anything remotely similar to this with the new set. Harry Dunne's hair in Dumb and Dumber wasn't green! The baseball scenes of my Boston Red Sox DVD were OUTSTANDING without green infield dirt.

This set does have red push and very minor green problems, but I think they are inherent with this set based on my past experience and research. For the short term, I have cut back on the color saturation to compensate and will probably do a basic AVIA calibration in a week or so.[/list=1]

I finally have the picture that I expected when I first tried to buy one in Feb 2001. It has a great picture, tons of inputs, and fits in our existing HT furniture.

I am VERY happy! The 32HX41 ended up costing me about $170 more than the 32HX40 did a year ago and I don't mind. I'm even content to keep this set without bothering with the scratches on the front.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks