What's new

Funky colors on new Panasonic CT32-HX40 (1 Viewer)

ken t

Agent
the 36" is made in Japan. That was one of the excuses/reasons I was given for the bad geometry and color - that "these sets have had a long journey being bounced around..." Both of the sets I returned had a Jan 2001 production date.
A panny rep told me that they have corrected the geometry problems with the 41; this was after telling me that almost all the 40s had the geometry problem...
just glad to be rid of it...
good luck with the 41 series. the panny rep assured me that they have corrected all the problems

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Ken,
>>A panny rep told me that they have corrected the geometry problems with the 41; this was after telling me that almost all the 40s had the geometry problem...

Randall Z

Stunt Coordinator
I got my 41 delivered yesterday. The picture is incredible. I haven't noticed any geometry problems, but I was really more playing with the features yesterday more than anything. This is my first nice television, so it may take me a while to get used to seeing such a clear crisp picture.
The only problem I know of that existed on the 40 was that the anamorphic dvd would be tilted. It doesn't seem to be on this set, but I haven't measured each side to be sure. Were there any other problems with the 40s that I should be on the look out for with this set? Thanks
:)
Randall

John_David

Auditioning
Andrew-
Just read through your saga because I am considering getting the 36HX41 and though you would get a chuckle reading about my WEGA mess. Here it goes.....
In January I purchased a KV36XBR400 from a local dealer. The TV had a great picture and no geometry problems. However after a while I began to notice the "Sony lines", those two little horizontal lines right at where the borders of a letterbox would be. So I exchanged the set...
Set number 2 had a fairly noticeable green blob in the lower left corner that didn't even begin to go away after a couple of weeks. So what happens next? You guessed it...
A new set!
Set number 3, needless to say, was not perfect. It had a yellow blob in the upper right corner that didn't go away either. (I should say that a service tech for sony did come to my house to degausse both sets)
Set number 4 had the longest tenure at my house. It was viewed with my basic cable for about two months until my entertainment center was finished. Alas, the joy was shortlived. When I plugged my satellite receiver in, much to my dismay, there was a noticeable geometry problem. After the service tech came to my house and deemed the problem unfixable in the field, I learned the TV would have to go to the "hospital" to have a tune up. Avter a two week stay in Miami (I kid you not), it returned to my house. Imagine my surprise when I turned on the set and the problem was STILL THERE. Arrrggghh!!! (the possibility of extraneous magnets, speakers, etc. had long been eliminated.
By now the delivery people new me on a first name basis and did not need directions to deliver sets 5 and 6. set six was actually an XBR450. And yes, both had geometry problems.
I declare myself winner of the perseverance award (and the stupidity medal).
The guy at the store said he "checked with the Sony rep" and the geometry problems with the xbr400 and 450 are supposedly rampant.
He offered me a replacement in the form of the Panasonic CT36HX41.
I'll review it as soon as I get it. I think they'll want to get me one quickly as I think I have been somewhat of a pest to them. But hey, 2300 for a tv, I expect not to feel like I'm on the Titanic!!

> Oh as the thread title indicated Steve had some color problems that he can better describe. Something to do with blond hair looking greenish.
Yes, that was my best set... I believe that the color purity was messed up. Blond hair was green, dark faces were green, dirt on a baseball field was green, etc.
But it didn't have any major geometry problems...
wink.gif

Steve

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
John,
At least your story has convinced me that switching to a Sony doesn't have any better odd's of sucess. Hope your Panasonic has no problems.
Steve,
I was watching TV last night and thinking how good the colors on this set were. Hardly any red push except for a few channels. This positive frame of mind was destroyed once I used my digital cable menus to go to a sports update program. The nightmare of curved lines and squeezed letters was back.
What I find amazing is how difficult the problem is to notice with non-linear graphics. Anything with lines shows the flaw, because you know it should be straight. But fields and other items don't look "distorted". Even though I know they must be.
I have noticed that one of the channels that has a circular watermark/logo on the bottom of the screen also shows the distortion.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Randall,
Have you managed to spot any problems yet?
If you have a problem free set all of us waiting on the HX41 will have renewed hope. :)

Randall Z

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I have had time to thoroughly inspect the set and I am sad to say that there is slight in the upper right hand corner. I only noticed it going through the THX Optimode features on the Titan A.E. DVD. I haven't decided if I'm gonna worry about it or not. My fear is that now that I know aboutit. it will probably bug the heck out of me.
But everything else checked out, no bowing or greenish colored blonde hair. And if all these sets have geometry problems, I wonder if thats just something that comes with a getting a flat screen TV. Though for $1500 you'd think that they could get the darn thing to be straight.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Randall,
Sorry to hear that you have a problem. It may not be as noticeable at the top. With mine being on the bottom it gets highlighted constantly.
What production month is your hx41?

PeterG

Agent
Randall,
You mention a "slight -" and I am assuming this is something geometric.
I really should mention that if it is of the order of say 3/16th of an inch or less this is really something quite acceptable. A 1/4" I would find distracting (and I am *awfully* picky when it comes to geometry, convergence, colour purity, linearity etc on a direct view) but less than that is really very acceptable.
These are all mass-produced sets and whilst some have worst problems than others they *all* seem to have at least a few problems. Those who claim their sets are perfect are generally not looking closely enough.
Just have a look at avsforum regarding the previously highly-touted Sampo 34" 16:9 direct views. Several people have some serious concerns and solutions are not easily forthcoming.
To get something *really* good in all areas it appears one has to pay several multiples of the price one is currently paying.
Peter

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
>>To get something *really* good in all areas it appears one has to pay several multiples of the price one is currently paying.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Andrew, I think RPTV technology introduces its own set of quirks. From what I've read at this forum and around the web, there are always compromises in any mass produced technology. It's really just finding a tv that you really like and you can live with the slight quirks it may have. Of course, Avia/VE has made this more difficult. :) I do believe though that in the rush to outdo the competition and mass produce bigger/better/faster, quality assurance has suffered across the entire consumer electronic arena.
cheers,
--tom

Randall Z

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say its less than 1/4", so I guess the odds of the problem being fixed are really slim. Is that what you are saying? It makes sense. Thanks for the info. In the meantime I had already decided that it wasn't to big a deal anyway. I mean this is just to hold me over until I can get a bigger set. Of course this comes after the house (you gotta have priorities right?).

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Randall,
Can you describe your geometry problem in more detail? You said it was 1/4 inch. Is that a tilt in the top right hand corner? Top right 10% of screen?
Just wondered if it's similar to mine. Although obviously not as pronounced.

Randall Z

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew,
Yes, it is in the top right hand corner, the left side of the screen is fine, but at some point the screen starts to slant upward. I'd say it is approximately the top 10%. I will check it out in more detail tomorrow, I haven't looked watched any T.V. today, so I don't remember.
It is similar to the problems I saw on the 40s when I was considering buying one earlier this year, only it is not nearly as pronounced.

Randall Z

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew,
by the way, the back of my 41 says May 2001, I am assuming this is the production month.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I figured it was time to resurect this thread once more. :)
My 41 arrives tomorrow so I am hoping that I manage to get a good one. I'll post back a report once I get a chance. I'm even hoping to get a VE calibration done on it this weekend.
My salesman at Sears and my wife resisted the in store demo but if I get another lemon then I will have no choice but to do that.
Or give up for now, buy the cheapest 32 inch I can find and put the extra money back into my audio. No bloody geometry problems there!
wink.gif

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Randall,
While I'm here I was wondering if you can confirm if the 41 has different settings for the various video sources? Did you end up deciding your problem was small enough to live with?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks