Funky colors on new Panasonic CT32-HX40

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Beacom, May 8, 2001.

1. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

Started here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?threadid=12278
    I am glad that I took the advice of people like PeterG and sacrificed a few $$$'s for the support and service available from places like Sears. My salesman is also going to let me know if Sears are planning on carring the new Pannasonic DVD-RP91.
    I am also going to find the best online price I can for either VE or AVIA and buy it. When my new set comes I want to use one of these discs. Anyone got any ideas for places that might hire out/rent DVD players?

2. PeterG

PeterG Agent

Andrew,
    Nice to see things have worked out well so far.
    One point I would make is that I would be extremely surprised if you received the HX41 this month.
    I may be wrong but the last information I received, which was not long ago at all, was that the earliest one could expect the new models would be late June and probably July.
    The one advantage of getting the HX41 is that you will no doubt get a unit where they have had at least 8 months of practice at the factory of setting up convergence, geometry etc.
    Assuming you don't get the HX41 this month I would ask to have use of your current unit until it arrives. The unit is used so whether you use it for another month or two is really not going to change very much.
    Peter
    ------------------

3. Andrew Beacom

I know that at least 2 of us (Steve and I) are waiting on the 41 and will keep the forum posted on my progress.
    My salesman is actually the senior salesman and he is planning on the delivery guys taking my old one when they bring my new one. If it is several weeks I think he'll be OK with that. I certainly dont want to be without something for that time.
    Note: Yes I do now consider my old Motgomery Ward 20 inch TV less than acceptable. [​IMG]

4. Steve Bourgeois

Andrew,
    I was also pleased with the way that Sears handled returns.
    Since their tech service was so poor, it was good to see that they were willing to accept returns a few times until I got a good set. I was also pleased with the salesman I was working with, he wasn't just a robot trying to make some quick money.
    Please keep us updated... As you already know, I am interested in checking out the HX41 when it is available.
    Now if it just wasn't so difficult to get Panasonic to accept my hard-earned money!

5. Andrew Beacom

Just thought I'd give an update on my replacement set. Sears still do not have the new models, the HX41's. My salesman has been able to arrange getting a replacement HX40. I should get a call on Friday to schedule a delivery.
    The salesman did let me know that if the replacement set had the same problems (or other ones) then I would just need to let him know so I could try again.
    I was looking forward to one of the HX41's but if the replacement HX40 is OK it won't worry me. There is no guarentee that the HX41's are better. The only functionality that sounded good, although a rumour only, was the different memory settings for different video inputs.
    I'll post something more once I have the replacement set in the house and have some feedback.

6. PeterG

PeterG Agent

Andrew,
    I was speaking to Panasonic Canada last week with respect to another DVD player and I asked them about the HX41.
    Apparently the HX41 has arrived at the warehouse in Vancouver but the units have not been distributed to the stores yet.
    Peter

7. Andrew Beacom

I thought I would revive this post to let you know that my replacement set is due tomorrow. I'm unhooking tonight and writing down all my settings before hand.
    This set should be this years model and so hopefully doesn't have the problems my current one does. It is the HX40 so my fingers are crossed.
    At least checking geometry should be easier this week as the tennis is on. Nice straight white lines.
    I'll post some feedback once I've had a chance to fiddle.

8. Andrew Beacom

They just delivered the replacement TV and I am disapointed to find out that the set is an older one that my original.
    On the back of the set it states manufactured October 2000 and the serial # is ME02960084.
    I haven't powered it on as I'm off back to work. It may be an October model without any defects, I'll have to wait and see. I'll have to make sure I don't predjudice myself before I switch it on.
    Apart from the set being filthy with dirt it also has a slight dent/scratch on the front bottom right lip. Well hopefully the display will be fine and I can live with the ding if thats the case.
    Steve/Peter didn't one of you have an october model?

9. Andrew Beacom

Well I had another look at the damage to my set while I was on the phone with my wife and its better described as a gouge.
    I saw the set come out of the box so all that occurs to me is that it was either done before it was boxed (I doubt it) or it was done when the delivery guys put it on the stand. Which is the Tau stand. I don't think they lowered it perfectly level and that was probably the first corner to touch the stand. It loks like they caught the metal prongs used for lining the set up. My wife hasn't even seen it and she wants a replacement set.
    I let the guy at Sears know and he indicated he didn't think they had any control over which TV's (Manufacturing date wise) they got from Panasonic.
    Boy am I glad I went with Sears. I couldn't imagine if this had happened with an internet retailer
    Any word on the CT32HX41's ?

10. Steve Bourgeois

> Steve/Peter didn't one of you have an october model?
    I don't remember what my first set was, the second was December 2000, and the third was October 2000.
    Steve

11. Andrew Beacom

I have had the set on for an hour or so and I can't believe that the geometry is worse! [​IMG]
    The set has a bow in it. Or at least that is the visual effect. It actually tilts up on both sides. Also after reinspecting the set I am pretty sure that the damage was not caused by the delivery men. It looks to me like I got delivered either a floor model or someone elses return.
    The power cord being coiled very shabily added to the fingerprints all over, the dint etc all add to this theory.
    My wife called Sears this afternoon and demanded a replacement set, without seeing the damage. One is due at the delivery place on Tuesday.
    I am thinking of calling to try to determine the Serial no, and hence the production run. I can't remember the exact serial no of my first set. I thought I posted it at the other forum but I can't seem to find Steve's original thread.
    My wife cannot believe that "I" got us a worse set. [​IMG] I don't believe they sent me something other than a brand new set.
    *vent over*
    Steve were are you at with your TV saga?
    Peter,
    No word on the 41's?

12. Randall Z

Randall Z Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased the 41 at Myer-Emco. It should be delivered sometime early next week.
    They didn't have any in the store, but had three in the warehouse. I just hope I don't encounter the same problems that existed with the xh40's.
    [​IMG]

13. PeterG

PeterG Agent

Andrew,
    I read your earlier post a few hours ago on but I had no time to do a reply. On reading that, I immediately said to myself that they have dumped a floor model on you as no way are new factory-sealed sets filthy. I see by your latest post that this is indeed the case.
    Personally, I would hang on until the HX41s reach the stores and that could be any day now. As I mentioned in an earlier post they are already in Panasonic Canada's warehouse in Vancouver and I am pretty sure that if a local store wanted one now they could get it. I would assume a similar situation pertains in the US. [I have just read a subsequent post which mentions that they are available]
    The problem that some stores have is that they still have stock of the HX40 and would rather sell those first.
    I would take a very strong but polite approach with Sears. Tell them you are stunned that they would attempt to foist a floor/returned model. Tell them you want an HX41. With the HX41 you will at least get an allegedly better remote (there is a possibility that there are no other material changes) and also a set that has been manufactured probably in May or so. This will mean that the factory in Mexico has had some 7 months practice in setting up the televisions and hopefully they have improved.
    You have waited this long. Don't rush the last leg and end up with a problem which seems to have no end. And I will repeat have them deliver the set initially to the store. Have them set up a DVD player for you (very easily done) and just go out and buy AVIA or Video Essentials even though you don't have a player yet. It will be worth the investment. Read up on AVIA and then know what to look for when you check out the set in the store.
    Peter

14. Andrew Beacom

Peter,
    >>I would take a very strong but polite approach with Sears. Tell them you are stunned that they would attempt to foist a floor/returned model. Tell them you want an HX41.>You have waited this long. Don't rush the last leg and end up with a problem which seems to have no end. And I will repeat have them deliver the set initially to the store. Have them set up a DVD player for you (very easily done) and just go out and buy AVIA or Video Essentials even though you don't have a player yet.

15. David West

David West Auditioning

Andrew,
    I'm not sure about US pricing, but the 32HX41 model is priced CDN$100 lower (CDN$2599) than the previous 32HX40 model (CDN$2699) at Eatons (subsidiary of Sears Canada) here in Toronto. If Sears has lowered the price on the new model in the US, this might be another issue that you can bring up with the salesman.
    Regards,
    David

16. Andrew Beacom

Thanks David.
    I noticed that Sears.com no longer have either the new or the old set on their site. I hope this just means Sears.com aren't carrying it.
    I just emailed Panasonic about my predicament and the differences between the 2 models. I doubt it will achieve anything but at least I feel better. [​IMG]

17. Steve Bourgeois

> Steve were are you at with your TV saga?
    Andrew,
    I'm still waiting for the HX41's to come out before wading back into the Tau mess. I'd like to check one out in a store before buying one.
    I'm about to finally upgrade my stereo receiver and speakers, so the TV project may get pushed back a little further. [​IMG]
    ( I just saw from an old post that you have a Marantz SR-8000. I just ordered an SR-7000...)

18. Steve Bourgeois

19. Andrew Beacom

I spoke to my sales guy at Sears today and his computer says the last week of June for the 41 to be available. I said I wanted to wait and he had no problem with that. My VE should be here by then. I aksed about Peters plan to unbox it at the store to check out and he said it could be done but it would increase the amount of handling. Mainly because after I ok'd it at the store it would have to go back to the warehouse in Peoria (50 mins drive) before it got delivered back again to me.
    If I can figure out some way to get it from the store to my house on my own I will but I'll have a battle with the wife on that anyway. We bought it, they deliver. Thats her opinion.
    I also asked about being given a demo as a new set. He said he keyed in the replacement set at the store and the box was sealed. So he thinks whatever happend did do at the distribution center.
    Steve,
    I considered the SR-7000 but I opted to shell out the extra for the remote and the piece of mind. The amp is slightly better on the 8000 and since I'm driving some 4 ohm Linn's I felt better with it. I like the sound. I dont like the bizarre binding posts or the 100hz XO point.

20. ken t

ken t Agent

I had posted over a month ago about my 36hx40 mess. I went through two sets before deciding this tv wasn't worth the hassle. The lack of support from Panasonic was a big influence on my decision to give up on this one.
    I then decided that I would get the 36XBR400. I decided at the last moment to cancel the order on this set and never took delivery.
    I'm now going to wait for the 47" panny widescreen. I figure at a cost of around 1600.00, I will give RPTV a try.
    I think manufacturers are having a hard time getting the 36" flat screen tvs bug free...