What's new

Full Range speakers needed with an SVS Sub? (1 Viewer)

Ed_S

Auditioning
Why pay for the bass when the SVS will have that covered? I would think that speakers with a higher dynamic range that maybe hits 80Hz would make more sense with the sub.

What are your views?

Geno

Supporting Actor
If you have a dedicated HT room and a dedicated music room, I can understan you statement. But for some*, having clarity and precice staging is very important. You cannot acheive that with a sub that is sitting in a corner facing down.

*I do not include myself with this SOME. The SOME I am talking about know who they are and they take their music listening very seriously. maybe when I can afford multiple monoblocks and multiple Wilson Watt Puppies, I will be within that league. I have nothing against this SOME [maybe just a bit jealous]. I think that when it comes to absolutes in audio, the SOME know their shit.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Ed_S.

Keep in mind the 80Hz is the 3dB point of the crossover point and that actually frequencies below 80Hz will still be fed to your mains albeit at lower levels. So a main speaker that is more "robust" at 80 Hz and below will still have some advantages. How much difference will this make becomes an arguable point. You'll find users of SVS and other subs using everything from "small bookshelves" to large "towers".

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Geno says: "I can understan you statement. But for some*, having clarity and precice staging is very important. You cannot acheive that with a sub that is sitting in a corner facing down."

I have achieved "clarity and precise staging" and I have a sub that is facing down. I also have bass that satisfies my animal instincts. So there.

Geno

Supporting Actor
Well then John, I dont think of you in that SOME group then. And I stick to my word.

Im still trying to get into a conversation with you about your statement on the frequency range and how they are transmitted thru wires.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
"Im still trying to get into a conversation with you about you statement on frequency range and how they are transmitted thru wires."

Go for it. Was this the one to do with the skin effect at higher frequencies?

Why don't you start a new thread on the subject?

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
It is my lowely opinion that having full range speakers would help if you preferred listening to hi-rez audio like SACD or DVD-A and used your set up for home theater and audio. The bass management on todays hi-rez players is lacking and having full range would achieve a nice deep balance if one enjoyed multichannel sound.
I am glad that I have towers down to 35Hz because I feel that my sacd player is shy on the bass management area. However, source has a great influence over this.

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
For-the-life-in-me, I still don't understand when professional sound mixers mix movies with bass in all channels, and certain HT'ers use small spks and have all the bass from thise channels sent to the sub. Why not spread the bass/LF over the entire listening room for a much fuller presentation using full range spks and a great sub.

For those with no room for towers I understand, but for those of you who have towers and and set them as small, I just don't understand!!

I use two Velodyne subs and full range NHT spks in Lexicon's 7.1.

Martice

Screenwriter
I have no problem regarding the whole crossover problem. I simply bought a ICBM multi-channel crossover. Although full range would be the preferred setup method for home users, most engineers still use monitors to mix the mid-range and high frequencies in movies and music and fill in the low end with the supporting low end after wards. Knowing that, I don't feel that I'm at any obvious disadvantage when listening to multi channel music or movies. With accurate calibration for all speakers and proper EQing techniques for your sub and as long as your sub is able to handle the redirection of low end frequencies at loud levels, this aspect of multi-channel, Hi-Rez music is a non-issue for me.

Relevant gear in my system:

Sony TA-P9000es
Outlaw Audio ICBM
Behringer Feedback Destroyer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks