What's new

FRUITFLIES!!!! How do you get rid of them?!? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
They started coming about a week ago and they won't go away. I've developed a master ninja skill at killing the little bastards, but to no avail, their numbers never seem to lessen. They are all over my house but mostly in my kitchen. So, is there a certain method and getting rid of them or driving them away? PLEASE HELP! I hate these little bastards!!!
Thanx,
Mike

Russav

Auditioning
A buddy of mine had the same problem we thought they where fruit flies they look just like them but they are not they are called drain moths they come from the drain and they lay their eggs in the drain look up info on the internet if it is them they are hard to get rid of good luck

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
Fruitflys usually show up when there is something attracting them, like old food. I've noticed that finding what is attracting them and then getting rid of it usually clears them up. Also, I seem to recall that a small bowl of cooking oil and vinegar will get rid of some of them.

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
I recalled hearing the vinegar trick, but wasnt sure. Now I'll have to try it...thanx!
Mike

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
met a guy once that developed a fruit fly trap. I guess they're a major problem in produce departments... you'll see the little plastic traps around sometimes. But I don't remember what they were called or who distributed them
frown.gif

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Seed your entire house with Venus fly traps.. :)
I think just basic cleaning would probably help a lot. Vacuum the floors, sweep, clean, etc... Might there be a source of them, eggs, etc.. look around and under things to see if there is some kind of infestation or rotting carcass of some sort in a crawlspace or in the plumbing, etc..
Jay

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Stop eating fruit :) :)
Helpful ain't I!!
Brent L
------------------
OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
MEETS PAGE and register.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
I had this problem not too long ago, when I let a banana sit for too long in my pile-o-fruit.
(I swear those things ripen in a day!).
Step 1 - get rid of old rancid fruit.
Step 2 - get a vacuum, and start chasing the buggers around with the detachable end. It works wonders, considering that they're impossible to catch/swat, and a vacuum will suck them out in mid-air.
Step 3 - place a small bowl of vinegar near the areas where they seem to "hang out".
You won't get rid of them right away, it takes a couple of days... especially if they've multiplied or have laid their devil-spawn across your dwelling.
Regards,
Moe.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I had a drain fly problem in our downstairs shower for a while.
What works on them is that daily shower spray stuff...stops them in mid-flight. I can't see why it wouldn't work on fruit flies too! Cheap hairspray would do the trick too.
Or, you could try emptying your wastepaper baskets and rinsing them with bleach.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I had the same problem about 3 weeks ago. For almost a month they were swarming around our sink. We'd wash dishes, they'd come back. We cleaned EVERYTHING! Nothing. Then, one day they disappeared. Now, we get a few every once in a while. god how I hate fruit flies.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

Rik P

Stunt Coordinator
spraying Lysol twice a day in the kitchen(or affected areas) seems to help

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
to get rid of drain flies, pour liquid bleach or some draino into the drain while the garbage disposal is running.
should also work if you don't have a garbage disposal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks