What's new

Front Projectors (1 Viewer)

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
I am slowly ambling my way towards these. There is a chance I may have a dedicated HT room in the future, and if so, I want to start getting it set up for that.

I figure HTPC driven (I have enough parts around to build one, minus the video card and software) and somehting that is capable of handling the highest resolutions HDTV can throw at it. I've seen a number of CRT units around, and while they deliver the best picture I've seen to date, this room ain't gonna have the space for one of those. So, digital it is, some way.

Any suggestions? I am starting with this, so have at it.

Maybe others in the same boat want to chime in? Would be nice to have one of these threads be kind of a repository for good advice and suggestions.

Mike

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
First and foremost, what is your budget and why not CRT (can you elaborate a little on it). Just curious.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Neil,
budget is still open - though preference towards the lower side is always there. ;) 3-4K at most, though, and that is fully installed, so includes screen and cables, power runs to the drop-down point, etc. My preference would be ceiling mounted if in-room, but I might get away with a shelf-mount if out of room; I don't know yet.
Reason I want to avoid CRTs is because I get the impression they're fairly finicky and bulky/heavy. Last I checked (long time ago, so this may be way off) anything under a 9" had difficulty dealing with HDTV resolutions. Again, that was way back.
I know this is very little to go on, but I am only starting down this road. I will be going from a 32" XBR, which will probably be included somehow in there - perhaps behind the screen?
Mike

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Mike:

I recently I went from a Sony 53" hdtv to a Sony HS10 lcd projector which produces awesome hd and dvd picture. The MSRP is $2995 but retail is much less if you can find one since they are hard to find right now.

You should checkout my review on my web page.

Michael

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Michael, Neil: thanks for the responses.

Michael: the HS10 looks like it may be on the short list. Most everyone's review of it has been very nice, and the price is getting better every day.

Neil: thanks for the links. Looks like the 13HD and the PLV-60HT are the same unit, except different resellers. Either boxlight builds for Sanyo, or more likely, Sanyo for boxlight. Either one looks like a fine unit.

This is a few months down the line, I think. I have to take care of some other things first, like figuring out where to put it, and how to tie it into the rest of the system. I am working on putting together an HTPC to drive this; getting pretty close (missing DVD unit).

Keep it coming, guys, this is good stuff!

Mike

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
There's a Sony HS10 LCD projector???
I have a Sony HS10 53" rear-projection....Which is CRT driven - Like the one in your HT setup Michael... Does Sony make an LCD front-projector named the HS10 as well???????
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Why would Sony name something the same thing???
-Ryan Dinan

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
The Sony HS10 is getting rave reviews.
Before you purchase, however, take the time to view both of the current technologies, LCD and DLP. Each has strengths and weaknesses and you need to determine which type you prefer...

Gregg Brent

Auditioning
If you really want to same some money for screens, cables, etc you should check out one these two new inexpensive projectors.. the X1 or Z1
XIInfocus X1
or
Sanyo PLV-Z1
Both run about $1500 and seems the professional and user reviews are great. See Projector Central
The X1 is a DLP with farjouda scaler and Z1 is a HD scaled LCD. You can end up getting a 100" inch screensize image for less money than a 65" CRT rearbased unit.

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
Don't rule out the Panasonic AE300. It's recieved some good reviews from those who have picked one up. It's expected to be available in North America early in the new year (January hopefully). You can, however, order one from Japan for under $2000 (USD).
Check out AVS Forum for plenty more information about projectors of all price ranges.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
one nice thing about going with a digital pj, is that you can go with a constant height/variable width set-up if your so inclined.
just like at the real movie theaters, you'll never have to live with black bars :)
right now i get about a 63" 4:3 image, 80+" 16:9 image, and a little bit bigger 2.35 image.
because i'm just using a stand alone dvd player and not an HTPC, and because the scaler in the pj isn't the hottest, i keep the 2.35 ratio movies a little smaller than they would otherwise be.
so technically, not true ch/vw, but pretty damn close, and much better than a fixed rp screen.
my set up cost about $2300 (including the pj, prog scan dvd player, cables, and a DIY screen).
i've been contemplating an HTPC for better scaling, but they aren't without their own issues (tearing, juttering, etc- not to mention OS issues).
considering it was only $250, and operation couldn't be smoother, i'm very happy with the picture from the dvd player.
i'd also reccommend NEC pjs. they offer a pretty substantial 3 year warranty, and make damn fine units to boot.
i've had my LT150 almost a year and 1/2 so far, and at this point i would definitely look into their product again if/when i can upgrade.

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
Actually the Panasonic PT-L300u (as it will be called here in the US) can be had for under $2000 here and other places.
Probably worth the extra $100 or so to have a good US warranty than the hassles of sending it back to Japan. (and the AE100 was a buggy machine, if reports from users are any indication).
It will be black instead of silver here in the US.
Sounds like a great machine because of the anti-screendoor technology and the 5000 hour bulb life!

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
i've been contemplating an HTPC for better scaling, but they aren't without their own issues (tearing, juttering, etc- not to mention OS issues).
If you have a good speed CPU and good video card (Radeon, Geforce) then tearing and juttering should not be issues.
As far as OS/user hassles, well that won't go away anytime soon... :)

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Robert:

this is a hell of a deal for someone looking to get into front projectors. I wonder if they allow home demos and easy returns?

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
Ritz's policy is returns allowed within 7 days *ouch* (and less than 10 hours on bulb), unless you have made other arrangements with them, and a 15% restocking fee.
Might be worthwhile seeing if you could try out one that has already been returned, or a local demo.
Keep in mind that the PT-L300u (US version) is not in the US yet.
They do have a good 30 no-dead pixel warranty though...

I HAVE seen the AE100 which this model (and the AE200- less than $1400 dollars shipped from Japan) is replacing, and it was a terrific little starter projector.
The areas the AE300 is supposed to improve on is screendoor (which was bad on the AE100) - more pixels/anti-screendoor lens, and better black levels, which actually wasn't that bad on the AE100.
OK, I'm rambling now...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks