What's new

Friend pays $133 for Two (2) Metallica Tickets (1 Viewer)

Sathyan

Second Unit

Is this really true?

I regularly go to the opera for $10 orchestra level seats (rush tickets).

Plenty of good seats even by better companies in the US at $30-40.

The most I ever paid was $80 but that was for a La Scala box seat.

And in Eastern Europe (I've seen performances in Hungary and Czech Republic) I've been to excellent performances by good companies for $15.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter

What opera's are you going to??????? I have yet to see a musical yet an opera go for less then $90 a ticket...... Whether it be Phantom, Cats, Les Miserable(sp), I know these are more on the musical scale, but I have never seen ticket prices for which you are suggesting at any music hall or opera.....

R~

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Adam.H, Sheldon, Neil, Alan, Topher, Jeff K. Anthony, & Jeff U.:

I'm calling you all out because a friend (and loyal HTF member) has reminded me of Metallica in "Cliff 'Em All". I'll get into this momentarily...

I can see this has turned into a pissing match, and I can't really say that I new it wouldn't with all the Metallica fan-boys on the forum. I've been a part of Metallica threads many times in the past and it's always been pretty even between the die hard fan-boys and the people like me. This thread however has just gone down rediculous road. Dude's are literally coming out of the woodwork to attack me.

That's fine. That's the M.O. of a fanboy, and I don't blame the others that do share my opinion for not voiceing theirs.

With that said, I invite the people listed above to re-watch Metallica's first video "Cliff 'Em All". In it, the bandmembers said they would never become what they are today. They mocked the term "Rockstar", and have taken every step over the last ten years to do the things they said they would never do.

This, my fellow HTF'ers is an argument based on fact, not opinion.

I'm not bashing bands for collecting tons of money for ticket prices. I realize it got crazy when Elton John and The Eagles started getting > $200 for tickets. It's Metallica that I am specifically dissapointed in. And it's probably because of how much of a fan I used to be. Even after my friends started to out-grow them in the '90s, I'd still make time for "Mandatory Metallica, and jam the early albums at party's.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"With that said, I invite the people listed above to re-watch Metallica's first video "Cliff 'Em All". In it, the bandmembers said they would never become what they are today. They mocked the term "Rockstar", and have taken every step over the last ten years to do the things they said they would never do."

Obviously they were just moronic kids trying to sell a few more albums by getting on the, "Were not mainstream so we are the COOLEST!!" bandwagen, that a GREAT deal of artists do when they first start. Then when they realized(or better yet the handlers) that they were a success they cashed in. No harm, no foul. But any band who gets on the "We're not mainstream so were cool" bandwagen and doesn't get off when they hit the mainstreem are idiots(in the business sense). This IS a business and Metallica by far is one of the BIGGEST with cashing in on their success. To say that they shouldn't wreaks of "I discovered this band so it is mine and if they go mainstream they are sellouts". Really no offense but that is how i see it.

CF

Sheldon C

Second Unit
I own Cliff em All. At that time the band members where between the ages of 19-22 (roughly). I know my outlook on life has changed quite a lot since I was that age, how about you?

I really don't care about the mindset of the members of the bands that I listen to. To me it's all about the music. I could care less if they started singing folk tunes with Brittany Spears; it's not going to make me think anything less of their classic albums. I guess I am a "fan-boy":rolleyes:of music and not of musicians.

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator

Again, an opinion stated as fact.

Scott, don't take anything personal. This is a discussion board and as such, you should feel free to discuss your opinions. But don't take your opinions and act as if they are facts. The discussion goes nowhere when this happens.

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
Scott,

I didn't mean to offend. Sorry if my reply seemed to come across as an attack. That was not my intention.

Regards

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I guess I'll just toss in my two cents and be gone. And I'll try not to make this post specifically about Metallica since everyone seem to be so sensitive about the band and each other's opinion (psst... they rule!!!! :D )

I'm just wondering about the term sell-out. So you go to this rinky-dink little hole in the wall nightclub and you check out this awesome new band. They make their errors but you like the sound. For the most part, they rock. Where does the "sell-out line" begin and end? Let's say they get a record deal... are they still sell-outs? What about if they sell a t-shirt? What if they were to sell 1,000 t-shirts? Now they're sell-outs? Do "real fans" of this band expect them to play nightclubs for the entire life of the band? God forbid they should ever play an arena... then they'd be sell-outs! So, it's uber-cool that a band sell a concert ticket for $7 but not for $133? Forget the fact that they changed their sound (and looks), what makes Metallica so different now? I have friends as well who refused to buy any other albums after AJFA and refuse to see them in concert anymore. It doesn't make sense to me that so many people out there take this kinda shit so personally. I guess I just think it's silly... that's just my opinion.

woo hoo!!!! Metallica on August 16th!!!! :D

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member

:eek: I disagree with this 100%. When the "black album" came out, all my friends agreed that Metallica had jumped the shark. During their prime, i.e. first 4 albums, they were the world's greatest speed metal band. On the black album, they ceased to be a speed metal band.

Also, I understand that some of the songwriting members (James or Lars? I don't remember) were classically trained musicians. This is apparent on albums 2, 3, and 4, where some of the longer pieces can be broken up into movements where a musical theme is introduced, then goes through several modifications and permutations, before returning to the original form for the final movement. (I realize that's a crude description, but please bear with me.) The middle section of ORION is positively baroque. If there are any classical or baroque elements in Metallica's newer music, they must do a real good job of hiding them so that they're undetectable.

So whatever you want to call it, "selling out" or "jumping the shark", in my opinion they did it on the black LP.

Alan Erceg

Stunt Coordinator
Metallica was NEVER speed metal, IMO... Thrash yes, speed no..

I still dont think they sold out...but that is again IMO...

Bill Clark

Auditioning
I've been a huge Metallica fan for about ten years now (I'm 22), and I've always regarded the pre-Black album records as thrash metal. Metallica is one of the most influential and talented metal bands of all time. Whether they have "sold out" or not is truly opinion, but also keep in mind that it is difficult to discern the difference between "selling out" and a band evolving. Look at Load and Reload...nearly everyone I know cannot stand those albums. I loved them because it showed Metallica's bluesy side (I regard them as borderline blues records). With St. Anger they have returned to their roots, and the albums works.

The Napster argument is very tired and very old. That people are still hung up on this completely defies logic. Can't you find free MP3's on the dozens of other peer-to-peer programs out there? Yeah, Metallica really ruined the fun. :rolleyes

Count me in for the show on September 24 in Columbus. And I instantaneously paid $50 for my ticket. :D

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I admit I don't know enough about heavy metal to distinguish between speed and thrash, but my point remains. The elements that made Metallica unique and interesting to me were gone after JUSTICE, and they sounded, to my untrained ear, like any other metal band. The Metallica that inspired me to read JOHNNY GOT HIS GUN ceased to exist.

Bill Clark

Auditioning
I definitely see where you're coming from, Rob. I have the whole library and when I feel like listening to Metallica I usually reach for Master Of Puppets or Justice. A bit of the magic has been lost over the years, but they are still one hell of an awesome band. :)

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
And no band could possibly keep living up the the standards set on Puppets or Justice. They evolved. Some say for musics sake and some say for the proverbial fat cash... either way, I am glad they changed. I used to be angry about it too, until I realized that bands have to evolve in order to survive. They chose to go a way that many fans disagreed with, but I would venture to say that most fans have stuck around anyway, especially since just because the newer music is different... it still has that metal soul that Metallica fans can groove to. Of course this long winded answer is totally my opinion. :)

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Just take a look at bands that don't change/evolve like Megadeth and Pantera. Where are they today? Fans (myself included) grew tired of the same old formula over and over again. At least with Metallica you never know what to expect on a new album.

DarrenHo

Stunt Coordinator
megadeath is done due to dave's problems with his hands. can't play guitar every night any more. something like carpal tunel. pantara is back again under the name of damage planet. still rocking hard.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

I believe Damage Planet is more of a side project which includes Vinnie Paul and Dimebag, but different bass player and singer.

A band doesn't always have to change its formula to still be enjoyable or relevant, especially in metal. And not liking new music doesn't necessarily mean one can't appreciate something that's new and great- sometimes new music just isn't very good.

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, if you look at Megadeths last 3 albums, they did change things up... espcially on Risk (appropriately named). Their are plenty of bands out there who don't change the formula, but most of them (IN MY OPINION) start to lose what made them cool in the first place. It just gets stagnant.

I wonder how we went from high ticket prices to this? HEHEH!

Like I mentioned way back in this post, however, those aren't very high prices to see 2 headlining bands. Face it, prices go up. ESP, when you want to see 2 marquee names in one show.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

That's like saying the Beatles (and their records after Help! - or to a greater extent, Beatles For Sale) aren't the Beatles that fans know from the Cavern years or the 'Beatlemania' years of 1963 and 1964.

This coming from a (very) casual Metallica listener, who is a huge Beatle fan now in his 40's...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks