Friend pays $133 for Two (2) Metallica Tickets

Discussion in 'Music' started by Scott Van Dyke, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

Now I know they suck. The last time I saw Metallica was 1991, and I didn't pay half that much.

Metallica sucks. They can take their anti-Napster asses and go to hell.

And before any of you youngsters start flaming me;
    No, anything after AJFA is not considered Metallica by us whom have been there in the early days.

~Peace Out[​IMG]
    (borrowed)

2. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

Whoa there. It's just 'Supply and Demand'. Something you apparent 'old timers' love to teach us 'youngsters' about. People pay it, why NOT ask it? Remember, music is a business too. Only difference is they are not publicly owned therefore have no ties to stockholders.

And most of us couldn't care who thinks Kill 'em all, or S&M is 'real'.

But I sure am glad you "keepin' it real" with your labels and condemnation.

/Ranting flame off.

3. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

This looks more like a thread that would be started on the Metallica website forum. It's rare here (especially in the music forum) to see such an immature post.

Hey, there are all kinds of bands that I don't like. I simply don't listen to them or bash them on internet forums.

I will be going to the concert on May 11th in KC, and I have no problem paying for the tickets since for me it will be well worth it. Sure Metallica's best albums were there first 4 (especially 2,3,4) but isn't that how it is with just about every other artist?

4. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

... also, what do you mean by being there in the early days? Looks like you were in about 4th grade when Master of Puppets came out.

5. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

Well, let me tell you a little thing about "real" fans. They are the ones who saw the band (any band) before they hit it big. They liked what they saw, and because of that they started buying the shirts or going to the shows. Eventually, "the band" might just have a hit. When that happens, of course, "the band" has sold out and forgotten its roots. Now, being a "real" fan, you have to seperate yourself from the "new" fans or "trendies". Since you were into them first, you have to be protective of what is yours. They only like them because of the "hit" and have no real love or passion for the band or its music. As a matter of fact, they probably shop at Hot Topic and will wear the shirt of the band they are going to see (DON'T be that guy!!). I could go on and on, but you know....

BTW: Please note that this is all tongue-in-cheek.

6. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

Jeremy,
    Nice PCU refernce. Very funny. And I agree totally. Although, the internet is a hard place to convey sarcasm.

7. Aaron D

Aaron D Stunt Coordinator

Sheldon, the show will be great if it's anything like the last Summer Sanitarium Tour. I was in St. Louis this past summer to see them and they played all the old stuff, Blackened, Battery, etc. and 2 of the new songs. Nothing from Load/Reload, I think one song from Black album. Really rocked like I have never seen them (in 5 times of seeing them).

I always chuckle at comments like this about them. [​IMG] Bands usually grow and change their sound to prevent boredom (except for maybe Pantera or Fugazi). No doubt Metallica has made millions, but so does Dave Matthews and Phish and I don't really hear sellout about them.

A

8. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Aaron,

I was in St. Louis last summer too. You are right, they definately played more old stuff. They used to ONLY play One from and Justice for All, but last summer thay played Harvester of Sorrow (hell yeah!) and Blackened!!! (oh hell yeah!!!).

This will show what a true Metallica nerd I am. I can even remember what songs they played off of each album.

Kill em all: No Remorse, Seek and Destroy

Ride the Lightning: For Whom the Bell Tolls, Creeping Death, no Fade to Black (too bad)

Master of Puppets: Battery, Master of Puppets, Sanitarium

And Justice for All: Blackened, One, Harvester of Sorrow

Metallica: Sad But True, Nothing Else Matters, Sandman

Load: NOTHING

Reload: Fuel

St. Anger: Frantic, St. Anger

The only one I'm not sure about is Nothing Else Matters, but I think they played it.

9. Aaron D

I think they did play it.

Thanks for the great song list, though, I was just excited to be there (on the front row center, I might add, rather proudly!) to see the live "comeback" by the boys. What'd ya think of the new bassist swinging his guitar around his neck by the strap? [​IMG]

A

10. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

I was very impressed with Rob's on stage charisma. I was also up at the front right next to the left side stage. My wife caught a pick from Trujillo.

I think he was like a b12 shot for the band. He definitely has the most energy of the four, and I think the others feed off of it a little bit.

11. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

Mod's:

Please change title of thread to:

HTF member sees price of Metallica's latest show, weighs options, and decides to feed small municipality of Hamilton, WI for a month. /Gets Flamed/

And yes, I owned RTL on tape in 4th grade. Not MOP.

12. Neil M

Neil M Stunt Coordinator

Scott,

There is another thread which talks about this same subject about this same band. I suggest you search for it. I'd find it for you if I thought you might contribute something worthwhile to it but based on your first post, I don't think that's possible.

I'd also suggest that you form your own opinion instead of telling us what our opinions are. I see no points being made in your post other than you do not like Metallica. That's fine. Why you needed to start a thread like this is beyond me unless you wanted to see Metallica in concert and couldn't afford it. Do you really care that your friend payed $133 to see Metallica?

13. Alan Erceg

Alan Erceg Stunt Coordinator

This angers me more than anything else when people say this. Who are you to say that ALL Metallica fans dont consider anything after Justice, not "Metallica". Just absurd if you ask me. Yes KEA thru Justice, was Metallica's best albums, and 4 true Metal Masterpieces, but you know what I liked Load, didnt mind Re-Load, and didnt even mind St Anger...does that make me not a "true" fan???

Sorry for the rant, that stuff just gets to me...

14. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

I have been a Metallica fan for as long as I can remember, back when I first heard them... I got tickets to the new show (April 21st, Roanoke, VA) and I didn't and still don't see the problem paying that much to see Metallica AND Godsmack. Before you bash the price, consider this is a concert with two headliners. Our tickets were $56 a piece, would have been $70something for floor tickets. I can't wait! Point is, if you weren't going to the show, and don't like Metallica (or any band for that matter) then why even post?

15. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

Friend pays $133 for Two (2) Anything Tickets...

Are you saying the tickets are $66.50 each? Big deal. Maybe you haven't been to any concerts since 1991, but unfortunately sixty bucks is about the going rate for huge acts. Now if you mean $133 EACH, then ouch. But as someone here mentioned, supply and demand are at work here. It always cracks me up when someone says a business "shouldn't" charge a certain amount (for anything). They "wouldn't" if that weren't the price they'd found to be the ideal for maximizing profit.

16. Aaron D

The price is a not-so-bad ~$70 per ticket for Met/Godsmack. And you are completely right about prices of other concerts- a WHOLE other discussion (kinda reminicient of the Pearl Jam fight in the 90's with Ticketmaster).

Anyway, Rolling Stone magazine had a little diddy about ticket prices last summer and acts like the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, etc. commanded well over $100 per ticket. I've seen the Blue Man Group in Vegas for around $90 per ticket and Celine Dion and now Elton John garner quite a price as well.

Considering this, and the whole supply/demand economics thing, ~$70 isn't that bad. (And if you couldn't afford this Kid Rock, Norah Jones, etc. sell tickets for ~$30). Oh, and outside every single venue I've been to are people selling tickets lower than face value for these shows.

A

17. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Metallica will be here in Sac in a couple weeks and Im not going. I used to be a fan and still own KEA, RTL, MOP, AJFA, Black, Garage Inc and S&M. The two load cds I converted to one since I only liked about half of each. I just dont care for their style anymore. I heard a bit of St Anger and didnt like it. Ive seen Met about 4 times since 91 and they are good in concert.

About ticket prices, if you dont like the prices dont go! Simple as that. I just paid $80 for one ticket to Sarah Mclachlan (see sig), I had paid $100 to Mccartney a couple years ago, my friend and I paid $140 (+ hotel and gas) for 2 tix to Iron Maiden in Los Angeles. My point is if you like a band enough and can afford it you wouldnt care. I do sympathize with folks who cant afford ticket prices but as said before it is a business and coprate a-holes get involved.

PS: You guys need to check out the recent Maiden cds!

18. Anthony Connor

Anthony Connor Stunt Coordinator

I have seen Metallica 5 or 6 times in Australia.
    This is what they played and it was worth the price of admission [​IMG] Although I must admit it was part of a music festival. So I saw 10 - 15 other bands. [​IMG] All for $100 au

Blackened
    Creeping Death
    Harvester of Sorrow
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    For Whom The Bell Tolls
    Frantic
    Sad But True
    Dirty Window
    Seek and Destroy
    Fade to black
    Battery
    --------
    St. Anger
    Nothing Else Matters
    Master of Puppets
    --------
    One
    Enter Sandman

I also believe it doesn't matter if whoever thinks they "sell out or not" - All there music rocks. IMHO.
    Just enjoy what you do, but don't tell me they suck cause it means nothing.

Regards

19. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

< sarcasm > i saw slipknot before they got big!!! they opened for coal chamber at tipitina in new orleans. < /sarcasm >

20. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Metallica does not suck. If they did, they wouldn't be able to get $70 a ticket for their shows.

As for being "true" fans, this really makes me laugh. A true fan will accept whatever creative energies an artist can produce, good or bad. When people complain about bands "selling out," I can see their argument if the band completely changes their style in the process. Metallica hasn't. They brought heavy music back to the masses, making it possible for thousands of other bands to get their music out as well. I have known Metallica since their No Life 'til Leather days, and while I am not as keen on their later material, I can appreciate what they have done for metal music, and applaud them for being able to reach the worldwide success they have. I also applaud them for overcoming the obstacles they have faced in the past, and not simply regurgitating old material and becoming a one trick pony.

It's a good thing you aren't into opera or theater, or you would get a real eye opener on how high ticket prices can be.