What's new

Friend has $1500 to spend on a complete system.... (1 Viewer)

Gruson

Second Unit
Ok, my friend is fixing to purchase some speakers and a sub.

He loves my Paradigm set up but cannot afford it. What would be a good alternative, not going over $1500?

He would need 7 speakers and a sub, as I will be installing a 7.1 system in his condo.

What would you guys get with this budget?

Thank you.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well with that budget I don't think 7.1 should be a priority. You can get a receiver that will support it and add more speakers later, but I'd put the money that would be spent on the last pair back into the other speakers.
It is also unclear if this budget includes anything besides the speakers. I'll go with this just being speakers.
You could go with JBL Studio series from J&R. S-Center, S38 and S26 would run you a little over $700. Then another $750 would buy you an SVS 20-39PC+.
There are several options from Axiom that would fit this budget that you could then add an SVS, Adire, Hsu or custom built sub from Link Removed or Link Removed that would fit the budget.
Ascend Acoustics also has some nice stuff in this price range. They also carry Hsu, or you can add one of the other subs mentioned.
A norh 4.0 five speaker system and one of the above subs would fit.
And as always, if you have some time, tools and basic wood working skills there are DIY kit options that will easily fit the $1500 price range and will perform well above what has been listed above.

John Gates

Second Unit
I'll echo Dustin here.
Look to Axiom, nOrh, Ascend, Home Theater Direct for 5-7 speakers. I personally would take the nOrh 4.0 ceramic package (http://www.norh.com) with a prism 4.1 for rear center (6.1 setup). My wife really loves the nOrh look, and the sound is very hard to beat for the price. If you or yours don't like the look, there are some very nice, more traditional offerings from Axiom, Ascend (the CBM 170's) and HTD Level III. You'll get very good bang/buck with these direct-to-consumer companies.
On the Sub side, I'd recommend something from SVS, VMPS, HSU, or maybe Adire.
What fun!!
John G

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Why can't he afford Paradigm? Mini Monitors for fronts, $350. CC-370 center, $300. Titan rears, $200. That leaves $650 for a sub. If he wants 7.1, get 2 pairs of Titans and find a cheaper sub.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree with Brian on this one, and this is basically the setup I used to have and it sounds great. I now have Monitor 5s as mains, and the Minis had been moved to the rear. The Minis have been moved to another room now, so I currently have 3 Titans handling my (6.1, not 7.1) surround right now. :emoji_thumbsup:
Axiom also has very good offerings, a bunch of M3Tis and a decent sub will make a very nice setup. $1500 should be able to get M22s and a VP100 up front and either 4 M3s or 2 M3s and 2 QS4s out back, and still have enough left for a decent sub. Or M3s all the way around...

Gruson

Second Unit
Good idea Brian. I was thinking of the Studio line of Paradigm and he could not afford those. Mini Monitors are a great idea.

Thanks.

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
No music? NO MUSIC??? How can anyone live without music? Anyway, for your friend's budget, I would suggest Wharfedale Diamond series and SVS sub. For a 7.1 setup, I would go with Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 for the front, plus 2 pairs of Diamond 8.1 for the surrounds and a Diamond Center. That adds up to about $900 before S/H or tax. Then I would add a SVS 20-39PCi for $550 + S/H.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
For your friend I think the best option would be the Ascend Acoustics system. You can get all seven CBM-170 speakers plus HSU VTF-2 and shipping for $1,458.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks