What's new

French Connection, freezes at Chap. 13, Disc 1 (1 Viewer)

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Hi... I'm on my second copy of The French Connection and both are locking up my Sony 7000 within the first second of chapter 13 of disc one. The player will pause/freeze for several seconds, sometimes skipping ahead to chapter 14, sometimes 15-30 seconds ahead within chapter 13.
Needless to say this is unacceptable. I see no other posts re: The French Connection and related problems. A search also produced no hits.
I've had this problem on no other discs; anyone have similar problems/issues? I'd hate to have to lose this title from my library, but I can't keep a disc that has this problem and it seems like a third replacement will not help the problem. (unless this store/area received a bad batch... Denver CO)
Thanks,
Jim

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
Mine played through perfectly last night. No problems.
------------------
Share and Enjoy - The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
My copy had a little pixelization for about 2-3 seconds on Disc 1. I have had no other problems at all on any other disc. Btw, how can I return an opened disc to BB for a replacement copy? Do I just bring it back and say that it is bad? I thought my player was going to lock up when this happened. I have never experienced this before as I am on my first player, and I only have about 25 dvd's.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I received two supplemental discs instead of the movie. I am waiting for a replacement to arrive from Amazon, hope I don't experience locking up next. I did play my copy of the French Connection 2 without any problems.
------------------
My Movie Collection on DVD and Laser Disc

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm. I'm pretty sure its not my player that is the problem. As I said, I've never had this problem before, (including several other "5 Star Collection" titles) and for it to happen at the exact same place on two copies of this one movie... well...
Both were purchased at the same local B&M store so I suspect there may be a bad batch. If I can get a store credit/exchange for a different title with my current copy I will pick up another at a different store/online.
If nothing else I guess that will clear things up re: bad batch, etc.

William Miller

Second Unit
I just bought my 3rd new Sony DVD player. They seem to last about 9 months until your DVD's start freezing and skipping to other tracks without warning. Why do I keep buying Sony? I keep hoping that with each new model they will keep improving it until all of the problems are gone. They solved the lip synch problem and now I have hoped they have solved the freeze problem. I know the 700 is not that old of a model and it usually doesn't happen this fast.
It was in fact, The French Connection that I was watching whem my year old Sony crapped out. After several months of increasing freezing and skipping, my Sony passed away. My French Connection went from track 12 to track 5. I tried to reboot the disc but my player wouldn't take it at all nor any other disc. So I went and dug a whole in my backyard, buried my Sony, said a few prayers and jumped in the car to go to Best Buy and buy a new one.
The French Connection played fine on my new one as well as all of the other troubled ones of the past few months. So, it's probably not the DVD.
And now that I have watched the whole French Connection DVD, I can only say wow! This might even top Cleopatra as the most astonishing recovery mission on DVD. They took a typically grainy, colorless 70's film and transformed it into a beautiful looking masterpiece. I'm not sure if this is the way that Friedkin wanted the film to look like but it now looks terrific. Don't miss this one.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I just watched this movie and it appears I have a defective DVD - my first ever! (after 600 DVDs)
I will not play properly past Chapter 18 and the image breaks into extreme pixelation. I am quite bummed out about this.
Perhaps Fox has poor quality control on this run. I have no other problems with player Pioneer DV-05 and TV (Sony XBR 27 inch)...
Lee

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Well, seems (as I thought, but a relief nonetheless) that it is not my Sony 7000 but the pressing of the disc.
After my second bad copy I was able to return the title (local B&M) and ordered a third from Amazon.
Although I haven't played the disc through I did jump to chapter 13 and had no problem whatsoever.
Seems then that at least the batch at the local B&M was bad. Hopefully the problem will not manifest itself elsewhere on the disc.
(another point which may or may not be relevant... the first two copies were the standalone FC, the third was the box set)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks