What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Free Yahoo Baseball League III - (One Week left to Join) (1 Viewer)

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
8 teams left.

Join the free Yahoo Fantasy Baseball League here
Enter = ( 193240 ) for league ID#
and enter = ( baseball ) for the password.

Live draft Mon Mar 22 11:00pm EST.

As mentioned in the other thread this is a points based league. The point system does need to be worked out better, so here is the place to discuss any ideas. (The points breakdown can be found at the yahoo site linked above.

I was originally going to set up a seperate message board for the league, but as I started a new thread here anyhow, we might as well do all of our postings here, to keep things in 1 place.

If anyone who is one of the other two leagues, would like to join, that's fine. I would like to get the 12 slots filled by Sunday night

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Brian,

If you're interested, I'd suggest the following points settings as one possible option for something well balanced and very good at reflecting/projecting real-life performance. I did these last year when I considered starting my own Yahoo points league, and did actually run some spreadsheets to determine reasonable accuracy/precision and balance between offense and pitching, including factoring the 9 everyday offensive positions vs ~1400 IPs across a reasonable mix of SPs, setup guys and closers.

Offense: AB (-.9), 1B (.59), 2B (.81), 3B (1.13), HR (1.53), SH (.04), SF (.37), SB (.18), CS (-.32), BB (.34), IBB (-.09), HBP (.34), K (-.008), GIDP (-.28)

Pitching: IP (1), W (1), L (-1), CG (.5), SV (2), R (-.5), ER (-.5), SVOP (-1), HLD (.25)

The offense part is an exact interpretation of Extrapolated Runs as found at this site (and elsewhere):

http://www.baseballstuff.com/btf/sch...roducingXR.htm

I assumed IBB's are also counted as BB's, which is why IBB's are negative (because they are valued lower than regular BB's).

For pitching, it's basically IP's - Runs Allowed w/ some tweaks to give small bonuses/penalties for other popular stats. And as I said above, I tried to maintain a good balance against offense. I assumed ER's are also counted as R's (so unearned R's are effectively counted less), that every SV *and* blown hold is also a SVOP (so a save nets 1 and a blown save/hold nets -1).

_Man_

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Well nobody else seems to have any ideas yet, so I say we give those a try.

We still only have 4 people in, Not too much of a problem though, if need be I will just cut down the number a available slots prior to the draft. I guess there will just be more good players available to each of us :D

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Brian,

I just realized that I made a mistake on the points suggestion. AB should be -.09, not -.9.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I posted this over in the League board, but figured I'll post it here also for reference:

Extrapolated Runs...
by: Sultans of Squat (mandnwong) Mar 23 2:49pm
That is the well respected formula I suggested for the offensive side of the points sytem. Yes, it's actually used by people who are more serious about their fantasy baseball.

As I posted earlier, here's a good link for intro to Extrapolated Runs:

http://www.baseballstuff.com/btf/sch...roducingXR.htm

FWIW, if you're familiar w/ Bill James -- who essentially started the whole sabermetrics analysis trend and is now working as consultant for the Red Sox -- he has a similar kind of formula that he calls Runs Created. Runs Created is actually available at ESPN.com although they seem to keep it tucked away in their stats listings -- heck, I had forgotten how to find it until just now after some digging.

See how your players do w/ Runs Created here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/st...hand=a&pos=all

It's not exactly the same as Extrapolated Runs, but pretty close for the most part. Runs Created tends to exaggerate things a bit for the very best players and the very worst ones. But it should give a good sense of how players perform for Extrapolated Runs.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks