What's new

Free SONY SPECIAL SNEAK PREVIEW Promo DVD in Today's Los Angeles Times (Sun. Nov. 9) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Hi folks!

Whoops… messed up the subject line — the first word should be "Free" not "Fress". That's what I get for having fingers that don't work (grrr...).

Anyway, as the subject line says (or should say), today's Los Angeles Times (Sunday, Nov. 9) contains a free DVD promo/insert featuring special sneak previews of four holiday movies from Sony Pictures Entertainment, as follows:
  • The Missing
    Length - 2:32
    Ron Howard (dir.) Tommy Lee Jones, Cate Blanchett, and a few more cast members nobody has ever heard of before…
  • Something's Gotta Give
    Length - 2:13
    Nancy Meyers (dir.), Jack Nicholson, Diane Keaton, Keanu Reeves, Frances McDormand, Amanda Peet, Jon Favreau
  • mona lisa smile
    Length - 2:32
    Mike Newell (dir.), Julia Roberts, Kirsten Dunst, Julia Stiles, Maggie Gyllenhaal
  • Big Fish
    Length - 2:27
    Tim Burton (dir.), Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney, Billy Crudup, Jessica Lange, Helena Bonham Carter, Alison Lohman, Robert Guillaume, Marion Cotillard, Steve Buscemi, Danny DeVito
    FYI, I knew almost nothing about this film prior to watching this spot, but an article in today's paper best describes it as Burton's own personal"Wizard of Oz." This was waaaaay cool… definitely worth getting the disc just for this trailer!
Total running time is 9:44.

Better yet, all the trailers are presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen with DD 5.1 soundtracks! (Not too shabby… much of the time, we can't even get anamorphic trailers on regular studio DVD releases.)

The four-page (folded) insert is made of 10" x 11" cardstock. The DVD is contained inside a flimsy plastic sleeve on the front cover. The interior two-page spread features the theatrical one-sheets for each film.

All-in-all, this is an excellently-produced promo DVD, and definitely a welcome (and unexpected) surprise to find in my paper this morning.

Again, this Promo DVD is ONLY contained in today's Los Angeles Times. However, there is no guarantee that this DVD is included within all editions/regions of the Times. (Since Los Angeles country is one big area, the Times breaks down their news coverage and deliveries into quite a few separate "regions." While the main newpaper content is identical for all "regions," each "region" get their own local section(s) and inserts, therefore inserts can vary.)

The Promo DVD can definitely be found in subscription and newstand copies of the Valley and West Los Angeles editions of the paper. And I'm sure it will be included in most, if not all, copies in the various regions. But for those of you in other cities or states, my only recommendation would be to check your local newstand or bookstore (like Borders) and cross your fingers that this insert was also included in the airmailed copies.

If you are an L.A. resident and find this insert in your regional copy, please confirm it for the other folks here. Also, if you are in another city/state, please us know if you have any success in finding this promo.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting to All!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering if any Southland residents who happen also to be HTF members were going to post about this promotion. Mine is sitting on what I refer to as my "coffee table." Might check it out this evening.

More interesting to me, however, is the positive review in the Book Review section of John Boorman's new autobiography, which I will post about later this week in the Movies section.

Also of interest is the "Sneak Attractions" roundup of the coming season's films in the three-part Calendar section.

And, of interest to me, there is zero news of the ongoing mass-transit strike (now in its 27th day) in Section A. But, hey, I'm hijacking your thread.

So, the video and sound quality of this DVD is pretty good, eh?

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I was pleasantly surprised by getting this DVD with the newspaper, which is much better than the free shampoo or lotion samples. :)

~T

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Didn't see it in any copies up here in Sacramento, guess LA hates those of us up north :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks