What's new

Free FOX Demo Disc #1 DVD!! (1 Viewer)

DarrenA

Second Unit
Well, I started this thread so I feel the need to respond...I went to my local Best Buy Friday morning at 6:45am and I saw this massive unreal line of people waiting out in front of the store and down the sidewalk (never did see the end of the stationary line). So, I waited near the front door and as the massive number of folks were filing (er...um, I mean pushing) their way into the store I calmly waited until the line finally made it's way in and casually walked through the front door.
Well, imagine my surprise when I saw two (rather cute) young ladies handing out these Fox Demo discs. I couldn't believe I was still able to get one. At any rate, I am glad for those who did get these discs, and as someone who this disc will not personally benefit, I am glad to have this tool to show and lend out to folks who don't understand the virtues of widescreen anamorphic DVDs.
BTW, the disc is simple to use and I think for a "freebie" disc, this disc alone could turn a lot of the "J6P/P&S" crowd into widescreen lovin' OAR fools like the rest of us.
Bravo to FOX and Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits for taking the time to educate the DVD consumers!!:)

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
Walked into the same Best Buy that yesterday gave away all 500 discs in the first 15 minutes, and there were piles of new sampler discs that people were walking by. Except me.

Mike Brantley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Brantley
These things finally showed up on eBay. That took a little longer than I thought. :) I got mine Friday evening after I called the store to make sure they had some left. A young sales associate told me "yes," so I drove to the mall. When I got there, of course I was told at the front door that all of them had been given away hours earlier. Well, I went back to the DVD area to complain -- not that they were out of freebies, but that an employee told me otherwise and prompted my needless drive. That's when another employee spied a stack of five demo discs by the cash register and cheerfully gave me one.
It's a nice effort from Fox, I think, and I will use mine to convert newbies to DVD (and to OAR). The restoration comparison will help do that. Kudos also to Bill Hunt for his excellent contribution to the disc.
Now, where's Volume 2? ;) And were are the demo discs from Paramount, Disney, etc.? Hey, I'd pay a little for 'em, just like I used to buy sampler Telarc CDs to hear what was in the catalog.

Christopher D

Second Unit
I agree with the view that it's really not a big deal, although I did go over and pick one up on Friday morning.

There is a huge omission on this disc -- the widescreen v. P&S demonstration from "Die Hard" would have been perfect here. I found the restoration demonstration most interesting -- almost made me want to pick up the Marilyn Monroe collection.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I woke up late Friday morning from an all-night Halo frag-fest. I rolled out of bed and got to BB at 8:15. WHat a MADHOUSE! Anyway, all the demo discs were gone, so I walked out and in the parking lot I saw a guy with one. I asked him where he got it since he didn't buy anything so I figured he wasn't there for long and maybe he JUST got it. Well, sure enough they were handing them out when you walked in and they were all gone. I offered to buy it from him and he just gave it to me. He didn't have a DVD player. Score!

Mike

Alex Morrow

Stunt Coordinator
I went to the Best Buy on Saturday because I was lazy and didn't want to wake up early on Friday. After I walked in I was greeted to a guy sitting at a table with about 10 extra discs. He gave me one and said they found some extras so they were giving them away at the time. Score!

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
All gone by 9:30 Friday morning at our BB here. :frowning: Anybody have an extra they'd be willing to part with... :)

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Adrian (and any others),

I scored an extra few copies of this disc with the intention of giving them away to the non-U.S. citizens of the Forum. I'm not charging anything for them, as they were meant to be free, but I am going to have to charge shipping and handling for them. I cannot afford to cover everything myself.

That's where my problem is--I have no idea on how much to ask for to cover shipping, and I want to make the payment as easy as possible for me to deal with. I'm assuming it would be at least $5 U.S. for me to ship overseas, if not more.

If you (or anyone else) has any ideas or suggestions for me, on how much to ask for and what kind of payment to use, I'm all ears. I'm ready to get started on Round One of the giveaway. . .

-mwb-

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I went to my local BB (Alpharetta, GA) at 8:30AM and the discs were way gone by the time I got there.
My question is this, why would you give a demo DVD to a person that doesn't even have a DVD player??? I mean, I would think that they would either give them to people who just purchased a player or a DVD or to the people that ask for it. It makes no sense...

Kendal Kirk

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,
It is a great marketing effort on Fox's part. They want to be forward in projecting their name and what better way to give something away with a perceived high value. I was amazed that they were not promoted very well. I had to go searching for my copy, and many of the employees didn't even know about it.
Even if they got into the hands of J6P with no DVD player, he got an high class coaster :laugh: !!!

Roby Adams

Stunt Coordinator
I just got back from the BB near me (Douglasville, Ga.).

They have TONS of copies of the demo disc. Now for 4.99!

Rob T

Screenwriter
The Digital Bits says that they'll have their FOX Demo disc contest in December. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well, a nearby BB has them available...priced at 4.99! I couldn't believe it! I thought these were supposed to be free?

DarrenA

Second Unit
If anyone kept the Best Buy sales flyer from Thanksgiving Day's newspaper, it clearly states that this Fox Demo Disc #1 is a FREE disc. Even if Best Buy has some DVD copies left over, they should honor their own sales ad and continue to give them away until the first initial batch is depleated.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
After making the decision to not fight the mobs on Friday, I thought that I had missed out.

But luckily, my wife wanted to pick up Legends of the Fall on sale for $11.99 on Sunday. To my surprise there were some copies left in the DVD player section so I picked one up. As Carlo said it had the $4.99 sticker on it, but I took it up with me to the counter and it rang up for $0.00, either luck or they are still free.

I would recommend that if you find one to have one of the blue-shirts scan it in, it should still be free.

-Chad

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm picking up Willow tomorrow along with You've Got Mail (hey, it was on cable last night and the girlfriend loved what she saw of it--and Meg Ryan's not hard to look at either) so if it's still there I'll bring it up and see what it scans at. I sure as hell am not paying $5 for it, but if it's free, it goes in the bag.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It is not BB's intention to EVER charge the $4.99 sticker that some stores actually stuck on these. I'm told it will always ring up at $0.00 if put into the register. Don't worry about that. "Internal bookkeeping".

It's free. Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks