What's new

Fred "Re-Run" Berry Dies At 52 (1 Viewer)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Fred Berry, the bulb-shaped, squeaky-voiced actor famous for playing red-beret-wearing Rerun on the 1970s TV sitcom What's Happening! has died at age 52, police said Wednesday.

Berry died Tuesday at his home in Los Angeles of apparent natural causes, police Officer Jason Lee said. The county coroner was investigating the exact nature of the death, but friends said Berry had been in ill health due to a recent stroke.

More here.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Oh man! I recently saw him on TV for something (I Love the 70s?) and it brought back a flood of memories. RIP.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Very sad. What's Happening! was pretty good for a sitcom and Berry played his character well, with a lot of heart and humor.

I kind of admired how Berry knew that he was famous for being "Re-Run" and never seemed to feel any shame about milking it for all it was worth. Somehow that seems more dignified to me than Ricky ("Rick") Schroeder and the like trying to reinvent themselves.

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
He was recently interviewed on some show about old sitcoms (damn can't remember what it was) but it was painful to listen to him because he obviously never left the show. Also his demo of "pop n' locking" was even more laughable than back when he "danced" on What's Happening?

What exactly are "natural causes" anyway? He was a big fat dude so his heart exploding is natural?

- JS

phil-w

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw him a couple of weeks ago on an episode of Star Dates. He looked OK but overweight as you would expect.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Last night on Entertainment Tonight, as usual, they had to milk the tragedy and both his costars (Rog and Dwaine) were on being interviewed. They didnt have much to say except he hated all the fat jokes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks