What's new

Fox (1 Viewer)

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Fox is the slowest to release their catalog titles and many of the films they distributed are with other companies now. They also have the most never on video releases. Here is a list from 1970-1990: AP=Amazon H=Hulu NF=Netflix NOV=Never on video (S)=Sout (F)=Fox (T)=twilight (C)=Criterion-where i think they may eventually wind up THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN(F) , THE GAMES (AP)(nov)(F) , HELLO,GOODBYE (NOV)(F) , 4 CLOWNS (NOV) , COVER ME BABE (NOV)(F) , ALL THE RIGHT NOISES (NOV)(F) , MAKING IT (NOV) (F) , CELEBRATION AT BIG SUR (NOV) (T) , THE SEVEN MINUTES (NOV) (F) , MOVE (NOV) (F) , MARRIAGE OF A YOUNG STOCKBROKER (F) , BLINDMAN (NOV) (F) , MADE FOR EACH OTHER (NOV) (NF) (F) , THE DARWIN ADVENTURE (NOV) (F) , THE SALZBURG CONNECTION (S) , WELCOME HOME SOLDIER BOYS (NOV) (S) , BENJAMIN (NOV) (F) , WHENTHE LEGENDS DIE (S) , THE EFFECT OF GAMMA RAYS ON MAN IN THE MOON MARIGOLDS (NOV) (C) , TRIBES (S) , ACE ELI AND RODGER OF THE SKIES (NOV) (S) , KID BLUE (NOV) (AP) (F) , HEX (S) , THE GREEN HORNET (NOV) (S) , CONRACK (T) ,DEVIL IS A WOMAN (NOV) (C) , TOGETHER BROTHERS (NOV) (S) , CRAZY WORLD OF JULIUS VROODER (NOV) (S) , AT LONG LAST LOVE (NOV) (NF) (S), WWW AND DXIE DANCEKINGS (NOV) (S) , END OF THE GAME (NOV) (T) , THE BLUE BIRD (NOV) S) , THE SUNDAY WOMAN (NOV) (C) , DOWN THE ANCIENT STAIRS (NOV) (C) , INDEPENDENCE (NOV) , ALEX AND THE GYPSY (NOV) (T) , ALL THIS AND WW2 (NOV) (T) , MR BILLION (S) , RAGGEDY ANN AND ANDY (T) , FIRE SALE (NOV) (S) , DREAMER (S) , LUNA (NOV) (C) , THE RUNNER STUMBLES (S) , SCAVENGER HUNT (S), HARDLY WORKING (S) , HEADIN FOR BROADWAY (NOV) (T) , MIDDLE AGE CRAZY (S) , WILLIE AND PHIL (C) ,SUZANNE (F) , HEALTH (NOV) (C) , PRISONERS (NOV) (F) , ON THE RIGHT TRACK (S) , SAVAGE HARVEST (NOV) (S) , CHU CHU AND THE PHILLY FLASH (S) , THE WOMAN INSIDE (S) , TATTOO (S) ,MEGAFORCE (S) , HARD FEELINGS (S) , PHAR LAP (F) , SECRET DIARY OF SIGMUND FREUD (F) , KIDCO (S) , THE BUDDY SYSTEM (S) , SECRET PLACES (F) , GIMME AN F (S) , JOSHUA THEN AND NOW (S), KEY EXCHANGE (F) , BAD MEDICINE (S) i envision Shout! double/quad features like Burt Reynolds DF (DANCEKINGS/AT LONG LAST LOVE ) , Vietnam DF (CRAZY WORLD OF JULIUS VROODER /SOLDIER BOYS ), Jon Voight (CONRACK/THE END OF THE GAME ), Alan Arkin (FIRE SALE , CHU CHU , /BAD MEDICINE /JOSHUA) , Elizabeth Taylor (THE ONLY GAME/BLUE BIRD), etc. Ufortunately-I don't believe any will make it

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Louis Letizia

i envision Shout! double/quad features like Burt Reynolds DF (DANCEKINGS/AT LONG LAST LOVE ) , Vietnam DF (CRAZY WORLD OF JULIUS VROODER /SOLDIER BOYS ), Jon Voight (CONRACK/THE END OF THE GAME ), Alan Arkin (FIRE SALE , CHU CHU , /BAD MEDICINE /JOSHUA) , Elizabeth Taylor (THE ONLY GAME/BLUE BIRD), etc.
Ufortunately-I don't believe any will make it

DANCEKINGS has already been nixed due to music rights issues, as has been discussed on the Shout! threads. I think a MOD release is the only hope for this one.

I'd love a CONRACK/END OF THE GAME pairing. Those are two of my most-wanted Fox titles.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Jon Voight showed his range. Both CONRACK and GAME are vastly different in tone-yet he creates two distinct portraits. He was robbed of an Oscar nom for CONRACK (as was Poitier in 67 for TO SIR WITH LOVE). I believe Angelina Jolie cited CONRACK as her favorite film of her fathers. To look at him as a teacher in this is to see Jolie as a mother now-not ony are their looks uncannily close-but the way with kids almost thinks Jolie used this as a template for her real life. No matter what anyone thinks of Jolie-she does try a variety of roles. She was excellent in A MIGHTY HEART and was snubbed. I think she is as goOd an actor as her father. If someone was smart they' star them together in possibly a gender changed I NEVER SANG FOR MY FATHER or a remake of ON GOLDEN POND . Maybe then the much underpraised Voight would grab the Oscar he richly deserves and make people forget his histronics in ANACONDA and SUPERBABIES! Its a shame the star of such great works as MIDNIGHT COWBOY, DELIVERANCE and CONRACK as well as intriguing thrillers like THE ODESSA FILE, and END OF THE GAME is reduced to a joke.

Second Unit

Maybe then the much underpraised Voight would grab the Oscar he richly deserves and make people forget his histronics in ANACONDA and SUPERBABIES! Its a shame the star of such great works as MIDNIGHT COWBOY, DELIVERANCE and CONRACK as well as intriguing thrillers like THE ODESSA FILE, and END OF THE GAME is reduced to a joke.

Well, he already has one Oscar. But it seems to be the fate of a lot of great actors to become hams in their old age. Pacino, Hoffman, and De Niro have all become parodies of their younger selves, although each of them - Voight included - can still do good work occasionally.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
I meant 2nd Oscar-COMING HOME was not one of my favorites-he deserved it much more as the iconic Joe Buck in MIDNIGHT COWBOY

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
[ATTACHMENT=204]all_the_right_noises_LB01018_L.jpg (97k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
Louis Letizia said:
Fox is the slowest to release their catalog titles and many of the films they distributed are with other companies now. They also have the most never on video releases. Here is a list from 1970-1990: AP=Amazon H=Hulu NF=Netflix NOV=Never on video (S)=Sout (F)=Fox (T)=twilight (C)=Criterion-where i think they may eventually wind up THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN(F) , THE GAMES (AP)(nov)(F) , HELLO,GOODBYE (NOV)(F) , 4 CLOWNS (NOV) , COVER ME BABE (NOV)(F) , ALL THE RIGHT MOVES (NOV)(F) , MAKING IT (NOV) (F) , CELEBRATION AT BIG SUR (NOV) (T) , THE SEVEN MINUTES (NOV) (F) , MOVE (NOV) (F) , MARRIAGE OF A YOUNG STOCKBROKER (F) , BLINDMAN (NOV) (F) , MADE FOR EACH OTHER (NOV) (NF) (F) , THE DARWIN ADVENTURE (NOV) (F) , THE SALZBURG CONNECTION (S) , WELCOME HOME SOLDIER BOYS (NOV) (S) , BENJAMIN (NOV) (F) , WHENTHE LEGENDS DIE (S) , THE EFFECT OF GAMMA RAYS ON MAN IN THE MOON MARIGOLDS (NOV) (C) , TRIBES (S) , ACE ELI AND RODGER OF THE SKIES (NOV) (S) , KID BLUE (NOV) (AP) (F) , HEX (S) , THE GREEN HORNET (NOV) (S) , CONRACK (T) ,DEVIL IS A WOMAN (NOV) (C) , TOGETHER BROTHERS (NOV) (S) , CRAZY WORLD OF JULIUS VROODER (NOV) (S) , AT LONG LAST LOVE (NOV) (NF) (S), WWW AND DXIE DANCEKINGS (NOV) (S) , END OF THE GAME (NOV) (T) , THE BLUE BIRD (NOV) S) , THE SUNDAY WOMAN (NOV) (C) , DOWN THE ANCIENT STAIRS (NOV) (C) , INDEPENDENCE (NOV) , ALEX AND THE GYPSY (NOV) (T) , ALL THIS AND WW2 (NOV) (T) , MR BILLION (S) , RAGGEDY ANN AND ANDY (T) , FIRE SALE (NOV) (S) , DREAMER (S) , LUNA (NOV) (C) , THE RUNNER STUMBLES (S) , SCAVENGER HUNT (S), HARDLY WORKING (S) , HEADIN FOR BROADWAY (NOV) (T) , MIDDLE AGE CRAZY (S) , WILLIE AND PHIL (C) ,SUZANNE (F) , HEALTH (NOV) (C) , PRISONERS (NOV) (F) , ON THE RIGHT TRACK (S) , SAVAGE HARVEST (NOV) (S) , CHU CHU AND THE PHILLY FLASH (S) , THE WOMAN INSIDE (S) , TATTOO (S) ,MEGAFORCE (S) , HARD FEELINGS (S) , PHAR LAP (F) , SECRET DIARY OF SIGMUND FREUD (F) , KIDCO (S) , THE BUDDY SYSTEM (S) , SECRET PLACES (F) , GIMME AN F (S) , JOSHUA THEN AND NOW (S), KEY EXCHANGE (F) , BAD MEDICINE (S) i envision Shout! double/quad features like Burt Reynolds DF (DANCEKINGS/AT LONG LAST LOVE ) , Vietnam DF (CRAZY WORLD OF JULIUS VROODER /SOLDIER BOYS ), Jon Voight (CONRACK/THE END OF THE GAME ), Alan Arkin (FIRE SALE , CHU CHU , /BAD MEDICINE /JOSHUA) , Elizabeth Taylor (THE ONLY GAME/BLUE BIRD), etc. Ufortunately-I don't believe any will make it
I take it you mean ALL THE RIGHT NOISES and not ALL THE RIGHT MOVES, a Tom Cruise vehicle which has never been absent from home video since it's initial release. ALL THE RIGHT NOISES was released theatrically in the U.S. by Fox, but I'm not sure what rights, if any, they hold over it now. ALL THE RIGHT NOISES is available on a region free, dual-format release from the BFI.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Thanks. I changed that. BFI Flipside has some great titles, including JOANNA -another lost Fox release. 60s Fox releases such as THE GURU and others nevcer made it to video here either. Between Arrow and BFI -the Brits are kicking our butts with great catalog releases. And very nice presentations as well.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure is now controlled by CBS (via Simon & Schuster). I'd love to see the 1943 Monty Wooley comedy Holy Matrimony turn up on DVD. It's apparently out in Spain, but not here. Very funny film that has generally become forgotten since its original release.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
So RAGGEDY is controlled by Paramount. We may get it after all-at least on streaming. Thanks for clearing that up. I never understood how this hasnt become a classic.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Louis Letizia said:
Thanks. I changed that. BFI Flipside has some great titles, including JOANNA -another lost Fox release. 60s Fox releases such as THE GURU and others nevcer made it to video here either. Between Arrow and BFI -the Brits are kicking our butts with great catalog releases. And very nice presentations as well.
Why not list your requests on separate lines? It's pretty difficult to read all your titles in the single paragraph form that you favor. Yes, those British labels have been doing a great job with many deep catalog titles. JOANNA is indeed another Fox title that's received deluxe treatment from BFI Flipside. I'm quite doubtful of most of those that you've listed as possible Criterions, many are secondary titles from well-known auteurs and not particularly well-loved or remembered. I'd expect the likes of H.E.A.L.T.H. and LUNA and many of these other titles to possibly come from Shout Factory! or Twilight Time, if at all. Cliff MacMillan of Shout Factory! has already nixed H.E.A.L.T.H. on another forum. Obviously, an MOD program from Fox would be the most logical place for most of these films. In the meantime, many have aired on Fox Movie Channel in their original aspect ratios.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Louis Letizia said:
So RAGGEDY is controlled by Paramount. We may get it after all-at least on streaming. Thanks for clearing that up. I never understood how this hasnt become a classic.
The second half kind of drags compared to all the great sequences in the first. However, the VHS and laserdisc editions are in pan & scan. The tape is drained of color compared to the original prints, which were also Panavision.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Sorry about the way I listed-i was trying to conserve space. I thought lists like this would let people know whats still unreleased in u.s. I believe LUNA stands a chance of a possible Criterion release. With Fox now controlling the MGM library they technically have Bertolucci's LAST TANGO IN PARIS -one of the most important films of the last 40 years. I can see Criterion doing a box set of Bertolucci including these two films and DREAMERS-sort of a Sex in Cinema/ NC-17 trilogy. TANGO screams out for a Criterion release-and as MGM has shown before with BLOW OUT , SILENCE OF THE LAMBS and SOMETHING WILD-a bare bones and Criterion version can coexist. LUNA is certainly less obscure and more important than the recent Criterion release of Louis Malle's BLACK MOON-which was a nice surprise-and also a Fox release in theaters as was Truffaut's LACOMBE, LUCIEN (a brilliant film)-also given a fine criterion release. LUNA was a very misunderstood movie with a searing Jill Clayburgh performance . It has a very expensive Region 2 release -but deserves recognition here. FMC ran it in the last 2 years-and i'm sorry i missed it. I hadnt seen this since my very first NY Film Festival in 1979. I don't believe it was ever on HBO. You are very right about my other suggestions-way too obscure. Instead I'd like Criterion to do a rerelease of Fox's THE PHANTM OF THE OPARADISE.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
1977 was a mini renaissance in animation. Besides RAGGEDY ANN -there was Bakshi's WIZARDS, Barretto's ALLEGRO NON TROPPO ; Disneys first in 4 years-THE RESCUERS (as well as live/animated PETES DRAGON) ; RACE FOR YOUR LIFE CHARLIE BROWN is fondly reembered and THE FANTASTIC ANIMATION FESTIVAL played for many months. RAGGEDY ANN was a wnning movie in its theatrical release. A great score and very nice animation. It should-at the least-get an mod release.

Second Unit

LUNA was a very misunderstood movie with a searing Jill Clayburgh performance . It has a very expensive Region 2 release -but deserves recognition here. FMC ran it in the last 2 years-and i'm sorry i missed it. I hadnt seen this since my very first NY Film Festival in 1979. I don't believe it was ever on HBO.

LUNA played on HBO in April 1981. I don't think it ever got a repeat run after that though.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
The Salzburg Connection. I was given this book to read by a customer in my shop in the 1990s and enjoyed it. This guy was collecting books, mostly paperbacks, that were made into films. He was also collecting the VHS of these films where possible. Time went on and we moved on in different directions. But in recent times he came back to me looking for stuff because I think he was being ripped-off by a local store that specializes in DVDs, movies books and lots of used items. It was he who recently alerted me to a DVD release in this country due out Dec 1. Probably today my on-line order from a local on-line company will arrive today or this week at least. It will cost me $14 and free post(there's a war on between two major companies, the other also having a chain of shopfronts and often offers Exclusive packages in deals). So obscure titles do appear but, as seen above with the likes of Span or Portugal, they can be done in hard to get from countries who don't speak our language as a native tongue. I understand this film was not as good as the book but we'll see. Starring Barry Newman, later star of TV series Petrocelli which is also hard to get but was popular in its day on Australian TV.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Jeffrey:K said:
LUNA played on HBO in April 1981.  I don't think it ever got a repeat run after that though.
I missed that airing also. HBO was very daring in its time-although I do not think LUNA ever caused a controversy on the scale of HBOs aborted showing of GOING PLACES.How far we've come as PLACES is now on Netflix streaming.

Second Unit
Yeah, I really don't understand why GOING PLACES caused such a fuss at the time. Oddly enough, HBO ran Louis Malle's MURMUR OF THE HEART in April 1977 without incident. That movie takes its incest theme a lot further than LUNA does.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Phar Lap being an Australian story is on local DVD. On reading daily film magazines from the 1930, in 1934 Columbia had a forthcoming film planned called Phar Lap but it was not produced. The horse hadn't long died at that time. He was stabled, when in Australia, near my home close to a major Melbourne racecourse and both alongside the rail line from my suburb to downtown. The trainer lived closer to my home. Whilst long dead now(Tommy Woodcock), my late Dad knew him well and Dad was Tommy's TV repairman for many years.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Louis Letizia said:
Sorry about the way I listed-i was trying to conserve space. I thought lists like this would let people know whats still unreleased in u.s. I believe LUNA stands a chance of a possible Criterion release. With Fox now controlling the MGM library they technically have Bertolucci's LAST TANGO IN PARIS -one of the most important films of the last 40 years. I can see Criterion doing a box set of Bertolucci including these two films and DREAMERS-sort of a Sex in Cinema/ NC-17 trilogy. TANGO screams out for a Criterion release-and as MGM has shown before with BLOW OUT , SILENCE OF THE LAMBS and SOMETHING WILD-a bare bones and Criterion version can coexist. LUNA is certainly less obscure and more important than the recent Criterion release of Louis Malle's BLACK MOON-which was a nice surprise-and also a Fox release in theaters as was Truffaut's LACOMBE, LUCIEN (a brilliant film)-also given a fine criterion release. LUNA was a very misunderstood movie with a searing Jill Clayburgh performance . It has a very expensive Region 2 release -but deserves recognition here. FMC ran it in the last 2 years-and i'm sorry i missed it. I hadnt seen this since my very first NY Film Festival in 1979. I don't believe it was ever on HBO. You are very right about my other suggestions-way too obscure. Instead I'd like Criterion to do a rerelease of Fox's THE PHANTM OF THE OPARADISE.
The lists are great. My suggestion was to put them in a more of a "list" rather than "paragraph" format. LAST TANGO IN PARIS I could see as a Criterion release, even though MGM has already released it on Blu-ray. It was a Criterion laserdisc. The other MGM titles have not been released on Blu-ray by both Criterion and MGM. The Criterion SILENCE OF THE LAMBS is long OOP; it became unavailable when MGM reissued the film on DVD. The Criterion SotL DVD did coexist with the Orion / Image DVD, also OOP. I'm still less convinced that they would do LUNA or THE DREAMERS. I think they'd need more of a reason than the fact that they could bundle them in a Bertolucci box set. LUNA'S never really had a good critical reputation, either on its initial release or in subsequent years. BLACK MOON has amassed a significant cult following and support from critics over the years; LUNA not so much. That said, I don't think these comparison exercises are all that useful, particularly if all we're basing it on is the fact that both films came from the same studio in the same general era. If someone at Criterion is a strong supporter of LUNA and Fox makes it available to them, then there's a strong possibility it'll come to fruition. Would love to see a deluxe PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE from Criterion, although, again, there is a very nice overseas option on Blu-ray and DVD via a French label. The gorgeous Blu-ray is region free; not sure about the DVD. Both have a lengthy featurette produced exclusively for that release. Not sure if you're near NYC Louis, but, incidentally, MoMA just did a full Bertolucci retro last year. LUNA played multiple times there on 35mm, as did all the other films in the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks