What's new

Fox (1 Viewer)

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
moviepas said:
The Salzburg Connection. Starring Barry Newman, later star of TV series Petrocelli which is also hard to get but was popular in its day on Australian TV.
THE SALZBURG CONNECTION was not a topnotch thriller, Fox was trying to prime Newman as a star after the success of VANISHING POINT a year earlier. Petrocelli was a shortlived tv series based on a Paramount movie-THE LAWYER(never on video but on Netflix streaming and quite compelling)(another attempt to make Barry a star)-that did well enough to warrant a tv series. I like Petrocelli alot-gla it transfered well overseas. Tht always fascinates me

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Louis Letizia said:
THE SALZBURG CONNECTION was not a topnotch thriller, Fox was trying to prime Newman as a star after the success of VANISHING POINT a year earlier. Petrocelli was a shortlived tv series based on a Paramount movie-THE LAWYER(another attempt to make Barry a star)-that did well enough to warrant a tv series. I like Petrocelli alot-gla it transfered well overseas. Tht always fascinates me
Not a Fox title, but FEAR IS THE KEY, starring Barry Newman and Suzy Kendall, is available cheaply on a UK DVD. Has a great post-VANISHING POINT car chase.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
moviepas said:
Phar Lap being an Australian story is on local DVD. On reading daily film magazines from the 1930, in 1934 Columbia had a forthcoming film planned called Phar Lap but it was not produced. The horse hadn't long died at that time. He was stabled, when in Australia, near my home close to a major Melbourne racecourse and both alongside the rail line from my suburb to downtown. The trainer lived closer to my home. Whilst long dead now(Tommy Woodcock), my late Dad knew him well and Dad was Tommy's TV repairman for many years. 
A great story! A part of cinema history .PHAR LAP was one of my favorite movies when it was shown quite alot on HBO. It didnt catch on in theaters in the Summer of 1984 when another little movie became an unexpected blockbuster from Fox that Summer-THE GODS MUST BE CRAZY. I'm a sucker for horse movies-CHAMPIONS came out about the same time but that was more about the cancered jockey than a horse.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
I was aware of the Bertolucci festival but unfortunately missed it. I am a Manhattanite and my latest weekend jollies have been to try and see 70s/80s movies in thater retrospectives that i was too young to catch in theaters as a kid. LA always has more interesting revivals-but I've caught TAXI DRIVER , THE SHINING, BYE BYE BRAVERMAN and just recently an amazing uncut POSSESSION from 1981 that never showed in Manhattan except for a 1983 88 minute Halloween release. Isabelle Adjani-probably one of the most classically beautiful actresses ever-is stunning.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Louis Letizia said:
I was aware of the Bertolucci festival but unfortunately missed it. I am a Manhattanite and my latest weekend jollies have been to try and see 70s/80s movies in thater retrospectives that i was too young to catch in theaters as a kid. LA always has more interesting revivals-but I've caught TAXI DRIVER , THE SHINING, BYE BYE BRAVERMAN and just recently an amazing uncut POSSESSION from 1981 that never showed in Manhattan except for a 1983 88 minute Halloween release. Isabelle Adjani-probably one of the most classically beautiful actresses ever-is stunning.
Yes, I also caught POSSESSION at Film Forum. LA has more venues that mine the Hollywood vaults and play some things I would nearly kill to see on 35mm, but I think the entire body of NY venues--AFA, BAM, FF, FSLC, MoMA, MoMI, 92Y Tribeca, IFC Center--offers a greater breadth of repertory fare and a more adventurous slate on the whole. If you're looking for more '70s / '80s fare, it's hard to top the Aero, Egyptian, New Bev, and Cinefamily, but I'd advise you to clue into what 92Y Tribeca is doing, if you haven't already, because they are very much in a vein similar to those LA venues, as well as the Alamo Drafthouse.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Yes-NY has gotten hipper to retro movies. I miss the Thalia that not only ran retros but showed premieres of flms that never had a real release in theaters-HOMEBODIES , DANDY-THE ALL AMERICAN GIRL , VISIT TO A CHIEFS SON-I practically lived there. We were probably seeing POSSESSION at the same time. This may bold well for a dvd rerelease-the Anchor Bay one was great

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Louis Letizia said:
Yes-NY has gotten hipper to retro movies. I miss the Thalia that not only ran retros but showed premieres of flms that never had a real release in theaters-HOMEBODIES , DANDY-THE ALL AMERICAN GIRL , VISIT TO A CHIEFS SON-I practically lived there. We were probably seeing POSSESSION at the same time. This may bold well for a dvd rerelease-the Anchor Bay one was great
Yes, POSSESSION was packed last night at the 7PM show. I don't know man...I think NY's always been hip to retro movies. I do think, however, that some venues are creating more space for studio films and genre fare of the late '60s, '70s, and '80s in recent years; things that a place like Film Forum always seems loathe to revisit. Did you make it to any of the Henenlotter series at Anthology? Or, any of the Bill Lustig-curated series at Anthology the last 3 summers? Or, the week-long revival of SOMETIMES A GREAT NOTION at BAM? Or, the Landis series at BAM? And, in addition to POSSESSION, Film Forum will be premiering a new print of PRETTY POISON for a week! Other than Paris, NY is probably the best place remaining to see films on film in a theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks