What's new

Fox Theater in Atlanta to show 2001: A Space Odyssey in 70mm! (1 Viewer)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
However, at the risk of being roasted, I would think that 2001 would be one movie that the sound wouldn't matter near as much as the visuals.
I think the sound design is just as important. The 70mm presentation I saw last year also had outstanding sound, and it made a world of difference.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Yes, there's a "Gone With The Wind" museum in the basement of that hotel.

The only way to get advance tickets is to buy a pass for the whole Summer series.

And the sound is very important in 2001. Music and sound effects are an integral part of the film. I had always heard The Fox was "the" place to see a movie because it supposedly features an old style huge screen, but I could also see sound problems. Being a stage/concert venue, and an ornate structure, they may not want to string side and rear speakers.

I'm going anyway, but it is something to think about.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
It takes about 9 hours to get from Atlanta to the Georgia/Florida border. You do the rest of the math.
Either you drive about 25 miles per hour or you stop to take a five hour nap in Macon. It's 350 miles from the Tennessee border to the Florida border, and 240 miles from the bottomside of Atlanta's I-285 loop to Florida. It takes less than four hours, without speeding.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
OK, I'll take your guys word for it that the sound is important. It HAS been a while since I've seen 2001, so maybe I just don't remember the audio that well. I need to buy it now that I have built my home theater room in my new house and have purchased a Mits 65819. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've watched 2001 for maybe 10 years, before I even had a decent home theater sound system.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
It doesn't take 9 hours to get to the Georgia/Florida border from Atlanta! More like about 5 hours.
Well, it could easily take 9 hours if you stop for live nude girls, discount tickets to Disneyworld and other Orlando attractions, free orange juice, the alligator farm, or any number of the other "attractions" along the way. ;)
Those of you in Florida could always take Airtran here. Rate between Atlanta and Florida are pretty cheap, and it certainly is worth saving the drive time in my opinion. Its a quick train ride from the airport to the north avenue station, and then a 5 minute walk.
If this event is like other past shows, they actually open the box office up a bit earlier for group ticket sales (10 or more tickets), which certainly increases your odds of getting in.
I'll find out if this is the case. If so then we should certainly coordinate our efforts and get them at the same time.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Either you drive about 25 miles per hour or you stop to take a five hour nap in Macon. It's 350 miles from the Tennessee border to the Florida border, and 240 miles from the bottomside of Atlanta's I-285 loop to Florida. It takes less than four hours, without speeding.
*smacks forehead*
Okay, so my memories a bit hazy. :b
It seemed like nine hours though. My heart cried with joy when I made it to Valdosta though. :D
An HTF get-together? Sounds like a good plan.....

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
If you've never seen 2001 in 70mm, DO NOT MISS THIS FOR ANYTHING! I managed to see it in Seattle's Cinerama a few month's ago, where it played for a week; nearly every show was either jam-packed or sold out. If you live in the country, any amount of traveling will be made up for by the sheer brilliance of the film. This rates as my best-ever movie-going experience.
My second favorite was when I saw the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly at the Egyptian (also Seattle). Unbelievably cool.
I say, always try to see a film in theatres; Ebert once said film (opposed to video) creates a mentally relaxed, 'reverie' feeling, while video (or dvd) creates an alert, hyperactive feeling. I don't know how true this is, but anyway, If you managed to miss 2001 in 1968, 1970, AND 2001, GO SEE IT NOW!

Nathan

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
The problem isn't the span from the Florida border to Atlanta... it is the drive from Fort Lauderdale to Jacksonville (which is 7-8 hours)... + the time to Atlanta.
I did make it from here to Washington DC last year in ~20 hours though (drove straight there... no stops except for gas/McDonalds). :D

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I gotta move to America :frowning: I'm so freakin' jealous. 2001 in 70mm. Dammit.
A couple days ago, I was talking to a friend who lives in Atlanta. She was like "it'd be so cool if you lived here. We could go to movies all the time." Then, I find out about this. I'm gonna try to at least get her to go see it, then I'll live vicariously through her memories of it :p

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately, I think the Midtown Bridgetown Grill has closed. I was suprised recently when I tried to have dinner at the L5P location and it was also shuttered.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
If you managed to miss 2001 in 1968, 1970, AND 2001
I imagine no one here would have missed it in 2001 if Warner Bros. had given it any kind of release.

[rant]
I mean, c'mon - how could they have NOT re-released 2001 in 2001??? What an opportunity lost (and they had a brand new restoration, too). I knew that Warner was doomed when the takeover by AOSmell was allowed to go through.
[/rant]

I just hope this eventually makes its way to Houston, although I don't know if we have a venue that can do a proper 70mm presentation.

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
I saw 2001 in all of its 70mm restored glory earlier this year in NYC. Its an experience that should not be missed.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Unfortunately, I think the Midtown Bridgetown Grill has closed. I was suprised recently when I tried to have dinner at the L5P location and it was also shuttered.
I don't know about this but the best real Italian pizza place in the Southeast is Baraonda, a half block away (north) from the Fox on the same side of the street.

As for 2001 in 70mm, I'm there!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Curious:

Is the film receiving any kind of promotion for its Atlanta run?

Here in L.A., the only thing I saw was a small 1x3 ad in the alternative paper LA Weekly bearing the tagline, "Still the ultimate trip."

And that's it.

The film received much more promotion when a freshly struck 70mm print ran for a week at Hollywood's Cinerama Dome in 1996--but, then, the film was still under MGM's control in those long-ago days.

That print, by the way, looked every bit as good as the one I saw at The Egyptian last December--only the sonics were improved on the more recent print. The film was not "restored," by the way, as the original elements have always been well-preserved. Instead, the sound has been remastered.

Either way, you will be seeing the film looking just as good as it did in 1968--only it sounds better now (ant that is saying a lot).

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
Not that I am at all aware of. Even www.accessatlanta.com has nothing featured on it.
Nonetheless, I fully expect it to be a sold-out, or near-capacity, event. I would definitely suggest getting to the box-office early. Also, for those who have not visited it before, be forewarned that the Fox Theater does not have it's own parking facilities, and some of the privately operated ones nearby are not attended. Early arrival or Marta would be recommended.
I am so there. :)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Jack, It's being shown as part of a Summer film series that the Fox runs every Summer. Generally it's 80% blockbusters from earlier in the year and the previous Fall, like LOTR, Harry Potter, etc, and then they have 3-4 classic showings. Monday for instance is a double feature of Some Like it Hot and The Apartment.

So the festival itself is promoted with ads in the newspaper entertainment section, but the individual films are not promoted other than being listed in the ad.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Wow, you're right! I found an article that said that they went into bankruptcy and closed all but one of the locations. It's hard to believe, because every time I went into one, they were always packed. That really disappoints me, we always went there before a Fox show, and hit the one on Euclid once in a while before a Variety Playhouse show. Thought about eating there after the Robin Williams concert, but the whole "jerk chicken" thing just took on a whole new connotation after seeing Robin fondle himself for an hour and 45 minutes.

Oh well, still up for seeing "2001", just 5% less enthused.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Here is a well deserved bump. We are a week away from the showing of "2001" at the Fox theater in Atlanta.

I may or may not be there because I have no idea when my parents will leave town (either Monday or Tuesday next week). Doh!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I second Jack's advice, but if they don't want to see it, buy them a night out on the town and you go to the movie. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katarianig
Recent bookmarks