What's new

Fox Theater in Atlanta to show 2001: A Space Odyssey in 70mm! (1 Viewer)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Darn! Why can't this come down to Florida?! :frowning:
Uh, how long is the drive from Fort Lauderdale to Atlanta? ;)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Rob Lutter said:
Uh, how long is the drive from Fort Lauderdale to Atlanta?
Oh good God you don't want to know. I went to Fort Lauderdale this past Spring Break (lovely town by the way, althought too many old folks. Now that you brought up Ft. Lauderdale this reminds me of a story involving two girls at the Baha Club who were shave...... oh shit, getting off track :laugh: )
Anyways, that stretch from Atlanta to the border of Florida can be described in one matter: pure hell. I have never driven through a more boring countryside in my entire life (although that stretch of land between Indianapolis and West Lafayette gives it a run for the money ;) ). It takes about 9 hours to get from Atlanta to the Georgia/Florida border. You do the rest of the math. You're better off waiting for it to come to Florida.
Anyways, how come this movie has never been shown in IMAX?

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I know what ya mean... I drove up to Gainsville, FL last year to visit the University of Florida (which took 7 hours). I am going to Orlando for college which is a little better (3.5 hours... 2.5 being on a highway [I-95] and 1 hour on a dirt road).
All in all, Florida is a big, long, boring state :D

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
*jealous*
I don't even know if any theaters in Vancouver have 70mm capability anymore, but I'd certainly make the trip for that.
If I had the money Brook, I'd be in that row with you. Nevertheless, save me a spot just in case. ;)
Hope to hear your thoughts when you guys DO see it.
Jason

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I drove 500 miles round-trip (New Jersey to Washington DC) to see it last November at the Uptown. The film is *easily* worth a substantial road-trip; I'd say that if you're within 5 hours of Atlanta, you should make the trip. You'll never forget seeing 2001 in 70mm!

derek

Second Unit
Also saw it at the Uptown definitely my top theater going experience ever. And they even had the intermission. :)

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
It doesn't take 9 hours to get to the Georgia/Florida border from Atlanta! More like about 5 hours. My wife and I drove down to see a shuttle launch last year and stopped in Daytona for the night. I believe it took me about 9-10 hours to get to Daytona. Then again, I am an Atlanta driver, and up here 15 mph over the speed limit is the norm (the Cliff is much slower). Heck, we drive down to the panhandle quite often, and it's a 4.5 hour drive to Panama City. That said, a drive from Fort Lauderdale would be pretty brutal. About the only thing to do is look at all the fruit stands and dream up a good Carl Hiassen book.

By the way, I'll be there! Woohoo! I've never seen a movie at the Fox, but I don't think I'd want to be sitting in the back, even with a big screen.

Darren H

Second Unit
I'm hoping to make the trip from Knoxville. I flew to DC to see it at the Uptown (and to visit my parents), so you know that I'm up for a three hour drive. I think an HTF dinner is definitely in order before the show.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I might be able to attend this. It all depends when I'm going to be in Atlanta and how long. I'm not dying to see it since I saw it in 70mm last year, but I wouldn't mind catching it again.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Tickets are the reason I've skipped out on all previous Fox showings, even though there have been some things I wanted to see.

Individual tickets are only sold the day of the show at the Fox box office which opens 75m before showtime. I HATE waiting in lines, but for 2001, it will be worth it.

If anyone has been before, how early do we need to look at getting there to get in line?

I was considering a dry run next Monday when they are showing a double feature of Some Like It Hot and The Apartment.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Hey, maybe if we get there real early and stand off to the Ponce De Leon side, we can see Keir Dullea come in and get an autograph! I wonder if Hal can print out an autograph? That's where I got to meet Robin Williams before his show. Now, THAT was amazing! Never laughed so hard in my life.

Sorry, got off topic. By the way, there is a really good restaurant across the street called Bridgetown Grill (Carribean food). If you stop there, get the rib & chicken feast. You get a half slab of guava coated ribs and a jerked chicken breast. Very tasty, especially with a couple of Red Stripes.

Darren H

Second Unit
Thank you, Brent. I was in Atlanta a few years ago and stayed in an old hotel directly across the street from the Fox. My main memory of the trip is an amazing Carribean meal, but I couldn't remember the name of the restaurant. I'm all for a pre-show gathering there. ;)

AndrewD

Stunt Coordinator
A question for those who have seen movies before at The Fox: What do you think of their sound system?

I saw The Perfect Storm at The Fox the summer it came out and all of the sound came through a cluster of speakers directly above the screen. The sound was so muddled that it was, in my opinion, unbearable.

I would love to see 2001 there, but I'm worried about their current sound system.

Also, if anyone's interested in a looong weekend in Atlanta, the following Monday (Aug. 22) the Fox will be showing The Last Waltz and a "Surprise Rock n' Roll Film". Not sure what it may be, but I'd love to see Stop Making Sense.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
I've never seen anything besides concerts or musicals at the Fox so I don't know about the sound for films. However, at the risk of being roasted, I would think that 2001 would be one movie that the sound wouldn't matter near as much as the visuals. Besides the music, there isn't a whole lot of dialog or sound effects in this one, right? Still, I would hope for great sound, but wouldn't be heartbroken without it.
Darren, I believe that old hotel across the street is where Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh stayed before the premiere of "Gone with the Wind" at the Fox.:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks