What's new

Fox/MGM announce 19 titles for BD this Fall (1 Viewer)

justinslot

Agent
Real Name
Justin Slotman

Oh absolutely. I wish the foreigners would slip in some foreign films sometimes too. Are we ever getting another Hong Kong Blu-ray?

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I don't have a Blu player yet (and will wait a little longer after today's announcement), but there are some absolutely fantastic titles in here.

RoboCop and The Fly are two of my favorite films of all time. Not to mention the fact that Anchor Bay are releasing two of my other all time favorites (Halloween and Dawn of the Dead)...gah.

But seriously...this is a great lineup for the Blu people. I would want to own at least half of those!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Man I need to start a savings account just for all the discs I have to buy this fall. Both Blu-ray and HD DVD!

Doug

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
There are 6 or 7 titles I will absolutely pick up, and a few more that are a maybe. This all assumes that Fox actually releases something this time.

Must haves:
  • 28 DAYS LATER OCT. 9 North America Only
  • A BRIDGE TOO FAR (MGM) NOV. 6 Q1 08
  • DIE HARD NOV. NOV.
  • DIE HARD 2: DIE HARDER NOV NOV.
  • EDWARD SCISSORHANDS OCT. 9 NOV.
  • INDEPENDENCE DAY DEC. 4 DEC
Might Buys
  • DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE NOV. NOV.
  • MASTER & COMMANDER OCT. 2 OCT.
  • ROBOCOP (MGM) OCT. 9 DEC.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Doesn't Fox have Escape from New York as a title they have to release? I'd sure love to see that one on blu-ray.

Doug

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

Alien is absolutely drop-dead gorgeous on D-Theater tape. It's one of the format's highlights. They can pop it out whenever they want. Maybe Alien waits for Aliens to be ready simultaneously or it'll just get announced relatively soon...? A high percentage of the titles just announced were also on D-Theater.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

I'd buy Patton for a dollar! Butch & Sundance looked great on D-Theater tape....the only weak shot were 2 very brief ones shot from an aircraft while they climbed the mountain en route to their swim lesson. Those two very brief shots look way grainy and don't match the PQ of the rest of the film. The snipets were proably shot with a little hand-held...? Ain't no big thang.

With all the talk that catalog titles don't sell as well, well, maybe that explains your choices sitting in the wings? I'd be suprised if they didn't spit out Butch & Sundance within a year or so. It's obviously ready to go, IMO, judging by the tape.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I sincerely hope that during this downtime from releasing much product, both, Fox and Disney revisited their MSRP for their catalog titles.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Well 9 out of the 19 catalog titles for sure, another 7 will depend on Fox's pricing.

Seems I read somewhere that someone actually viewed a Fox authored mock-up of X-2 recently and that both the X-Men films were coming before the end of the year. I can't seem to remember the sourse so it could've been just more internet BS.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
Fox had a demo disc playing at some Best Buy Magnolia showrooms that showed a quick clip from X2 that demonstrated some of the interactive features. Not sure if they had mentioned it anywhere else, but that's where I had seen Fox mention it.

They also had the trailer for Walk the Line on that disc too. I, for one, would like to know where that disc is...

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
These look prerry cool:

-MASTER & COMMANDER OCT. 2 OCT
-THE FLY (1986) OCT. 9 Q1 08
-EDWARD SCISSORHANDS OCT. 9 NOV.
-28 DAYS LATER OCT. 9 North America Only
-ROBOCOP (MGM) OCT. 9 DEC.
-AMITYVILLE HORROR (1979) (MGM) OCT. 9 North America Only
-BATTLE OF BRITAIN (MGM) NOV. 6 Q1 08
-A BRIDGE TOO FAR (MGM) NOV. 6 Q1 08
-DIE HARD NOV. NOV.
-RED DAWN (MGM) NOV. Q1 08
-CAST AWAY DEC. 4 North America Only
-RONIN (MGM) DEC. 4 DEC.

Perhaps Die Hard-sequels also..

Now: I really hope that they´ll keep the extras. Since most are double dips for me, I really want the extras from the SD DVD-releases.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Which titles this refers to?:

"...slate are 6 day & date BD/DVD new theatrical releases from Fox including the $241 million box-office family favorite FANTASTIC FOUR: RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER and the $335 million box-office action powerhouse LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD...

day & date BD/DVD (U.S. only) new theatrical releases from MGM."

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing the other Fox titles include Sunshine and 28 Weeks Later (at least, I hope so!); maybe The TV Set and Day Watch.

Of course, it's Fox; I'll believe it when I see it on shelves. We all know what happened to the last big slate of titles they announced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks