What's new

Fox is still releasing a lot of classic in Spain, never released in USA (1 Viewer)

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
Originally posted by Livius:

"One Foot In Hell" is it Anamorphic.

As mentioned before it is an excellent scope print (2:35:1)
Although a PAL disc;played in NTSC the true scope ratio is
achieved and the colour is slightly darker,and in my opinion
better.

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
"The Siege At Red River" is released in Spain on the 17th of March;
not a great Western but good to have.Odd to see Van Johnson in
a Western. Other Fox titles I would like to obtain are:

SLATTERYS HURRICANE
PRINCESS OF THE NILE
THREE YOUNG TEXANS
GAMBLER FROM NATCHEZ
CHINA GATE
SIERRA BARON

The latter I remember as an excellent Western;according to IMDB
sadly,both leading men (Rick Jason,Brian Keith) took their own lives.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Ah, Ben Brigade - an homage to Ride Lonesome?
I've really cut back on my 'other region' buying; however, I would make an exception for Slatterys Hurricane.

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
Well spotted Dave B!
The name is a homage to Randolph Scott and Budd Boetticher.

A couple more Fox titles I would like to see issued:

RED SKIES OF MONTANA
Forest fire fighting drama worth it for the cast alone.

THE FIEND WHO WALKED THE WEST
Marketed by Fox as a horror film but actually a Western remake of
Kiss of Death with a delicious hammy performance from Robert Evans.
A lot of people are after this one!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Well, I'm tempted to buy The Siege At Red River, The Bounty Hunter, and The Roots of Heaven right now.
Has anyone here ordered from zonadvd.com linked above?
What are the shipping charges to USA like, high or low?

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Richard, I'd recommend these guys: Starscafe.com.
I don't know what shipping to the States is like but I've found them reliable, and everything I've ordered arrived promptly by registered mail - good customer service too.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Originally Posted by benbrigade /forum/thread/294636/fox-is-still-releasing-a-lot-of-classic-in-spain-never-released-in-usa/90#post_3665956
Great news about "The Bounty Hunter" this will complete my Scott/DeToth set.
Re the Fox titles I can confirm that "One Foot In Hell" is scope throughout and is an excellent
print. Pony Soldier is fine and Powder River is exceptional especially for lovers of early 50s
saturated colour.City Of Bad Men is slightly pale and there are some minor imperfections but
overall pretty good.All of the aforementioned are better quality than the US copy of White Feather which I find very palid.On Pony Soldier when location shots revert to studio filmed
inserts the process work is very weak;typical of Fox product at the time.Regarding City Of Bad
Men top billed Jeanne Crain has precious little screen time.The supporting cast of Western bad
guys is awesome.I did not realise Powder River is based on the same source material as Alan
Dwans Frontier Marshall and John Fords My Darling Clementine.Though the characters are
not Earp & Holliday this time round many scenes are lifted from the two previous films.The colour scenery is stunning.
If it's not a bother, can you provide links to City of Bad Man, Powder River, and One Foot In Hell ?
Thanks.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by Livius /forum/thread/294636/fox-is-still-releasing-a-lot-of-classic-in-spain-never-released-in-usa/120#post_3670637
I'd recommend these guys: Starscafe.com . . . . I've found them reliable, and everything I've ordered arrived promptly by registered mail - good customer service too.. . .
I'll try them. I'm having trouble with DVDGo - package not arriving, no reply to my emails etc.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by flagbrothers /forum/thread/294636/fox-is-still-releasing-a-lot-of-classic-in-spain-never-released-in-usa/120#post_3670966
Any Reviews of Violent Saturday?
I don't think it is out until tomorrow. According to the back packaging, it isn't anamorphic encoded, so it is probably just an old made for cable TV transfer.

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
Although not Fox titles does anyone out there in Home Theatre Forum Land
know the quality of the following Spanish issued DVDs.

SASKATCHEWAN
RAMROD
THE LONE GUN
RUN OF THE ARROW.

These films were leased from the majors to smaller companies like
Suevia Films.

Thank you.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
The Spanish edition of Run of the Arrow is appalling. It looks to be 1.66:1 non-anamorphic but it's a fuzzy washed out mess that looks like a weak VHS port. I can't say for the others, but Suevia's releases in general are not something I'd recommend.
There's a very fine edition of Saskatchewan available from Koch Media in Germany.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
I have used them in the past; they do ship overseas but their system is not set up well to cope with it. For international orders, they don't add on the shipping cost when you order. Instead once they receive the order they email you back with an amended order with the shipping added, then you have to reconfirm you will pay the higher total.

In my case they didn't actually do that, but instead just added 20euro to the cost without asking. This was for three discs on an inter-EU order - it was expensive because they used FedEx Express!

Also no-one there speaks English, this can cause problems if non-Spanish-speaking customers have any problems. They probably had a good laugh at my BabelFish translated emails! There whole website is exclusively in Spanish

Lastly it didn't help that when I ordered, nearly everyone there was on their summer holiday. Spain seems to close for about 3 months during the summer...

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by Nebiroth /forum/thread/294636/fox-is-still-releasing-a-lot-of-classic-in-spain-never-released-in-usa/120#post_3672867
I have used them in the past; they do ship overseas but their system is not set up well to cope with it. For international orders, they don't add on the shipping cost when you order. Instead once they receive the order they email you back with an amended order with the shipping added, then you have to reconfirm you will pay the higher total.
In my case they didn't actually do that, but instead just added 20euro to the cost without asking. This was for three discs on an inter-EU order - it was expensive because they used FedEx Express!
Also no-one there speaks English, this can cause problems if non-Spanish-speaking customers have any problems. They probably had a good laugh at my BabelFish translated emails! There whole website is exclusively in Spanish
Lastly it didn't help that when I ordered, nearly everyone there was on their summer holiday. Spain seems to close for about 3 months during the summer...
Thank you. I am a non-Spanish speaking customer so I would have problems. I'll try Starscafe instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks