What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Fox is still releasing a lot of classic in Spain, never released in USA (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Thanks for the heads-up, Marcel H.

Originally Posted by Marcel H. /forum/thread/294636/fox-is-still-releasing-a-lot-of-classic-in-spain-never-released-in-usa/210#post_3686349

Over at zonadvd, there's also a May announcement (general release maybe?) for:
  • Sierra Baron (1958)
zonadvd, aren't they in Mexico?

I'm particularly interested in Sierra Baron, one of the few films do deal intelligently with Spanish Colonial California. Exquisitely shot in old Mexico locations by Alex Philips in dye-transfer-color and in widescreen. Directed by James B. Clark. Loosely based on a novel -- a kind of romantic, historical, epic tragedy written by someone who's name I forget, it's the Gone With the Wind of the Californios. Spoken in English with American stars and a large supporting cast of Mexicans. zonadvd has issued some nice transfers of classic Mexican films, and some not-so-nice transfers, but they haven't learned about widescreen and anamorphic transfers below the border yet. I have yet to see one single Mexican classic from zonadvd that was properly issued widescreen and anamorphic.

Got a link to it?

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Thanks again.

Looks good.
Cover art says 4:3.

What was I thinking -- I have a lot of Mexican DVD's of classic Mexican films, but the zonadvd company in Mexico is not the Spanish e-seller.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Originally Posted by Marcel H. /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh and speaking of RIO CONCHOS. Koch Media in Germany will be releasing this title as well. So far there's no date yet but one of Koch's spokesmen said: maybe at the end of the year.
That's interesting and welcome news. Koch are generally very good with their releases so maybe we'll get a sub free, OAR release at last. Does this mean that Koch now have access to Fox titles? I don't think I've seen a Fox title from them before.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Yes, they have access to Fox titles now. Koch released Death Hunt (DVD) and Prince Valiant on DVD and Blu-ray this week. Mister Billion is getting a release in May and they're even starting a new Western line called "Koch Media Western Legenden" with White Feather and The Return of Frank James in July or August (the titles for these months will be announced next week). I guess Rio Conchos will be released through this new Western line as well.
Apart from Rio Conchos these movies are already available in the States but they're still unreleased in Germany. So right now, it's not that interesting but I'm kind of curious whether Koch will dig into Fox's archive to release some new to DVD stuff even for Americans.

jcb07

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
j. c. bartolomei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel H.

"Oh and speaking of RIO CONCHOS. Koch Media in Germany will be releasing this title as well. So far there's no date yet but one of Koch's spokesmen said: maybe at the end of the year."
It seems to me that Rio Conchos is following the route of the Region 2 American Classic Titles in mainland Europe ( UK excluded).
First the DVD shows up in Spain, most of the time either cropped or of poor quality, then it goes to France, better quality, anamorphic and in its OAR, but with forced french subtitles, and finally in Germany with an excellent quality, anamorphic, OAR and no subtitles.
Of course there are exceptions. Some of the Impulso/Fox titles are excellent prints such as Rains of Ranchipur, The Egyptian, Roots of Heaven. The french print of Blindfold is anamorphic and in its OAR with no subtitles.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
I've scooped up Roots of Heaven, The Sheepman and Pony Soldier and really appreciate the insight from above.
Now i've traipsed over to amazon.uk to order three James Mason flicks - including five fingers (optimum home), the reckless moment (2nd sight) and caught (2nd sight), plus sirk's (both eureka) a time to love and a time to die and there's always tomorrow.
Are these decent prints?

jcb07

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
j. c. bartolomei
I have Five Fingers and The Reckless Moment from UK and they are both good. I got There Is Always Tomorrow from Germany and it is also a good print. I don't know how good the British print is.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Originally Posted by shoeshineboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now i've traipsed over to amazon.uk to order three James Mason flicks - including five fingers (optimum home), the reckless moment (2nd sight) and caught (2nd sight), plus sirk's (both eureka) a time to love and a time to die and there's always tomorrow.
Are these decent prints?
The Reckless Moment is fine, Caught and 5 Fingers are weaker and less satisfactory but certainly watchable. The Eureka release of There's Always Tomorrow is excellent in my opinion.

jcb07

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
j. c. bartolomei
For those of you who are interested in Orson Welles' films there is an excellent print of Black Magic(1949) available from Amazon.comdaaveedee. Spanish subtitles are optional. The film is listed under the name Cagliostro.

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
Quiet a few new Westerns on the DVD.GO website including "Drum Beat"
and "Face Of A Fugitive" DVD.GO seem to carry quiet a few titles not
featured on the Starscafe website;I have avoided using DVD.GO because of
various negative comments on this thread.
Also lined up are "Lone Star" (1952) and "The Last Challange" the latter title
should please Glenn Ford fans. It would seem Paramount in Spain are
stepping up their vintage back catalogue with releases like "The Rainmaker"
"The Rose Tattoo" "The Black Orchid" and the soon to be released
"The Naked Prey" and "The Furies"
"Drum Beat" and "Face Of A Fugitive" do not seem to be from the majors so
I hope Starscafe will be able to obtain them as they offer a good service.

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
As a lot has been said about the Australian Bounty releases I thought that
readers of this thread would be interested to know that the Bounty website
is now up and running.www.bountyet.com.au
The new releases set for May have now been delayed until June.

It looks as if the Spanish issue of "Drum Beat" will beat the Bounty release;
it will be interesting to see what version is the best quality and if both are
issued in Scope.

With all the activity in Australia of late perhaps a new Australian thread is
in order.

speedspin

Agent
Real Name
Dafydd Jones
It's interesting to hear about The Last Challenge (a.k.a.The Pistolero Of Red River) but I'm confused. May I ask how you have established that this is 'lined up'? Ever since DVDGo invited me to e-mail them my credit card number (seriously) to complete a transaction last year, I will have nothing more to do with them but I've checked their website and they list it as being available now (released in February 2008 if they are to be believed) And, as you say, it doesn't appear on Starscafe, and this in itself is suspicious. Also, they list it as being in 4:3 and having an '18' certificate! I don't know much about Spanish DVD certification but there's nothing in The Last Challenge that would justify that. If more details emerge about this release of The Last Challenge, I would be very interested to hear about them.
It's a very good little western. Its only downside is an annoying 10 minute attempt at comedy about half-way through when Glenn Ford and Chad Everett take off after a renegade Indian played by Royal Dano! Ignore that bit and it's a solid picture.

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
Yesterday "The Last Challenge" and "Lone Star" (1952 version) were on the dvd.go
website for a June release now they have vanished. I am sure if they are forthcoming
starscafe will carry them as they should be released by Warners Spain.
"Drum Beat" and "Face Of A Fugitive" have now been released but are nowhere to
be seen on the starscafe website.I have e-mailed them to see if they might be able
to get them in the future.I remember "The Last Challenge" as being one of the better
later Glenn Ford Westerns;also its one of his few Westerns not currently available on
DVD. "The Secret Of Convict Lake" will ,I have no doubt surface sooner or later from
Fox Spain. Perhaps Olive Films will re-issue "The Redhead & the Cowboy" and I
am sure a Spanish release of "Heaven With A Gun" will eventually surface.

jcb07

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
j. c. bartolomei
El Corte Ingles has The Last Challenge, aka PISTOLERO. DUELO A MUERTE EN RÍO ROJO.[SIZE= 10px] [/SIZE]

jcb07

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
j. c. bartolomei
I just received The Last Challenge from el corte ingles. Don't buy it, is dubbed in spanish. There is no english version.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by jcb07
I just received The Last Challenge from el corte ingles. Don't buy it, is dubbed in spanish. There is no english version.

Thanks for the warning.

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
"The Last Challenge" is back on the dvdgo website for a June release as is "Lone Star"
and "The Great Bank Robbery" as these look like official Warner releases hopefully
the quality will be better.Unfortunately Starscafe do not deal with Pride Films the
distributor for "Drum Beat" and "Face Of A Fugitive" so I will have to wait for the
Bounty Austrailia release of the former.If anyone is able to get hold of the Spanish version
of "Drum Beat" I would be interested to know what the quailty is like.Warner Archive in the
States seem to have given up on Westerns their last one was "Gun Glory" back in November.
Warners Spain seem to be concentrating on MGM product so hopefully the following titles
will not be too far behind:

THE OUTRIDERS
AMBUSH
DEVILS DOORWAY
A THUNDER OF DRUMS

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
I'd be happy if they did concentrate on MGM stuff for now - it would be nice to see The Tall Target and The Bribe out as alternatives to the Archive versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks