What's new

Formulating a new theory on Center Speakers... (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,

I was under the impression that what you were trying to accomplish was to incorporate a center into your current system to be used for 5.1. If you already have a 5.1 system, then what's the point of this thread? Are you talking along the lines of multi-channel music playback?

JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator
I have a front projector, so there is no big box between the speakers, well there is a sub but I have the speakers forward from it...anyway is it still necessary to have the center channel further back from the mains for proper imaging or would it be best to have them all lined up...I know I can and will try it myself, but just wondering what the general opinion/knowledge is.

Kevin_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

I apologize. I guess I'm doing a poor job explaining. There are 2 A/V systems in my home. My main system is a 4.0 (no Center, no Sub). My second system is a full 5.1 setup.

The 4.0 system is considerably better at HT (don't even ask about 2-channel). Out of curiosity, I have tried incorporating 3 different Center Speakers into it, but each time the sound was degraded. This fact confused me - hence this thread.

As for DVD-Audio (as well as Concert DVDs), I listen/watch those in strictly 2-channel mode. Within a few minutes, "being in the center of the music" loses its appeal, and just sounds wrong to me. Perhaps its 25 years of "training", but I still prefer to feel I'm in the Front Row, with a full-blown "stereo image" in front of me. I'm sure that for folks who are not burdened by this "stereo hang-up", multi-channel music is great.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jake,

I never thought about "aligning the Center Speaker with the Mains. I assumed it would go along the front wall. Perhaps you are right - I should have tried pulling the Center Speaker out from this wall.

However, I have in my head that would be distracting, and many folks now use perforated screens, and put the Center Speaker behind - they can't align the speakers.

But your question is interesting.

Kevin

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Kevin & Chris: thanks for your advice.

Yes, I've already balanced everything with the trusty RS SPL meter. the toe-in already compensates for the off-set -- I aimed slightly behind the prime-seat, so as not to overdo anything, but I think mainly due to my inexperience in critical listening, I can't really comment too much about the imaging and soundfield I get. seems all right to me though.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,

OK, I understand now!:) Also, unless the center was designed specifically to go with your mains then I'd expect some degradation of sound.

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Kevin,

We should get together. E-Mail me. I'd like to hear your rig and let you hear mine.

I fully believe that a "phantom center" (provided there is only one listener and they are located in the sweet spot) will sound better than a center channel speaker based system. The front pans will be smoother and much more coherent and the dialog will be fuller sounding. The overall stage will be much more lush and deep with the center speaker absent.

That being said, I do run a center speaker anyway. Why? Well usually I watch with my wife or kids and the dialog is anchored to the screen with a center speaker and because a 5.1 mix was intended to have a speaker there. I use nearly identical speakers for the entire system (same drivers in all 7 speakers).

Please shoot me an e-mail and lets get together. You can see my system by clicking on the little house icon in the header of this post.

Mike

Kevin_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

Thanks for responding. I would love to get together - in my opinion, it's the main benefit of spending time on these types of forums. Listening to music and watching movies should not be an "individual sport".

I have had three different get-togethers initiated from people I met over on Harmonic Discord. They've all gone great. Granted, they were mostly interested in my 2-channel setup. But, once they saw the projector, they wanted to see that in action, as well. It's not bad, but a little close to the front wall for best performance.

Although this coming weekend wouldn't be good (I'm hosting 10 of my co-workers for a party on Saturday evening), the following weekend should work. Of course, if we don't live too far from each other, maybe we can meet after work during the week.

I live in NW Hillsborough County, a little north of the Race Track. I work in Dunedin, although the company I work for will be moving to Oldsmar this September. I will send you an e-mail with phone numbers/address/etc.

I clicked on your Home Theater pictures. Man, your listening room and HT gear look impressive. You have put a lot of thought (and effort) into all aspects of HT enjoyment. You should feel proud.

I do have a couple of questions for you:

1) Why not utilize your HT Mains as your 2-channel speakers? They appear to be capable of a higher level of performance than the speakers you utilize for 2-channel.

2) Along the same lines, why not utilize your HT sub (a true monster) in your 2-channel system?

3) It seems you could have built a better sounding 2-channel system this way, and pocketed the money to boot.

Oh well, thanks again for responding. Again, I look forward to meeting you. If there's anyone else, let's get them involved, as well.

Kevin

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
The two systems (audio and home theater) are totally separate. They share nothing, not even power outlets. The Kosalas (audio system speakers) are high effeciency speakers with concentric drivers. I like the time alignment and I use tubes for my power....so the more effecient the speaker the better. The HT speakers are rated at 4ohms and driving them with low powered tubes isnt a great idea.

As for the subwoofer. The home theater sub is made of 4 15" drivers in an infinite baffle configuration. While this will rock the house off the foundation in my films, I prefer the tight controlled sound of a sealed driver for my music. So I use the Adire Rava for my music duties. I can use the HT system to play really loud dance music, trance or techno if the mood strikes me. :)

I look forward to meeting you.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks