What's new

Forensic Files has ruined movies (1 Viewer)

Mickey Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I find so little on TV nowadays, but have TiVo'd and watched every episode of Forensic Files. Love that show! I always joke with the Mrs. that I am watching the show to find the perfect way to dispose of her without getting caught! ;)

Well it seems like anymore I watch a movie and can't get the thoughts of 'oh they could just sweep the car for fibers' or 'they could test the place with luminal for blood evidence' et al, whenever a killer is trying to get away with something (which they usually do.)

Anyone else have this problem?

I can watch Star Wars and think 'Ya, I can believe that' but whenever someone is shot I just can't suspend disbelief!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
No. I can easily suspend believe based upon the world a movies creator creates. If the creator fails in this, cheats based upon the world he has created, than I have a problem. While I haven't seen Forensic Files, I have on good authority from actual forensic detectives that CSI is a bunch of horse s**t.

I always found it annoying when people have your problem.

"I can't watch wrestling, it's so fake"
"You know whta? Greorge Clooney isn't actually a doctor."

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I know what you're talking about but I just let it fall under suspension of disbelief. It does occasionally pop into my mind when I'm watching a movie or TV show though. A perfect example is in The Sopranos when Paulie breaks into an old lady's house and strangles her so she can't call the police on him. He's been locked up (so the police have his fingerprints), he didn't wear gloves and he really doesn't have much reason to be in her house so it would take the police about ten minutes to crack that case.
All that being said, it's better to just let things slide. :)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
A while back I had a coworker who's house was victimized by a burglar. When he asked the responding officers if they were going to dust for fingerprints they straight up told him We're not TV cops and left. Fact of the matter is that officers of the law couldn't do a full CSI style investigation in every case because they don't have the time and they don't have the resources. This even applies to life and death cases.
There was a local case earlier this year that I assume got national coverage. Two blonde women were riding in a vehicle full of college students that collided with a truck. One of of the women lived and the other one died at the scene. Neither the coroner nor the family of woman who was at her bedside realized that the survivor had been misidentified until she woke up from her coma a month later. Don't let Forensic Files ruin movies for you. That plot is so unlikely that not even Ethan Hunt would have been able to pull it off........

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

While true, the main reason is that CSI style investigations rarely solve cases. Detective/police work of knocking on doors solves cases. Forensics supports the case.

So when snappily dressed TV CSI guy finds a fibre on a dog and the whole case ties up, don't believe it.

Actually, just watch Homicide: Life On The Street. While contrived in it's own way (way too many shoot outs/red balls, even for Baltimore ;) ), it is still alot more accurate than any number of the CSI style forensic shows in it's depiction of crime solving.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Not to disagree with Russell, but i've seen many eps of HBO's Autopsy and forensic pathologist Michael Baden has solved many crimes damn near by himself because he discovered evidence in a victim's remains.

Not saying this is true in all cases obviously, but it does happen on occasion, at least from what i've seen.

All I know is, if i'm murdered, I want Baden to do my autopsy, the man is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks