What's new

Forced subtitles question (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I am about to take the plunge into imported DVDs. My main question is about forced subtitles. Are there any regions that consistently use them? I am looking at getting some Japanese releases (Columbo on DVD, YEAH!!!), but I am not sure how I would feel having to see Japanese subtitles during the entire movie. Do most websites that sell non R1 DVDs list whether the subtitles are forced or not? Thanks for the help!

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
First read this thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=193652

None of my japanese editions have forced subtitles. They look a lot like R1 editions. Neither R3 or R4 have forced subtitles to my knowledge, at least none of my editions. Some European countries like France, Nederlands, Italy, Spain, Germany can have forced subtitles, but they can also have dubbed audiotracks instead and no subtitles.

Check dvdcompare before you buy, they usually state if there are forced subtitles for a specific edition, but be extra careful when it comes to french and dutch editions. Otherwise I shouldn´t worry to much, it´s not so common with forced subtitles.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Forced subtitles are very rare on Japanese releases and I have never experienced them on Korean DVDs. This applies to the movie. More often, however, the extras may have forced subs.

One other warning, on Japanese releases of non English language fims there is generally NO English support. I have not encountered any Korean titles without English lately.

On films with partial non-English (e.g. Dances With Wolves} the English subs will need to be selected from the menu for such scenes.

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
The only Japanese DVD with forced subtitles I've seen is the 'On the Beach' miniseries ( although with a bit of fiddling I can get rid of them on my PC )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks