1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

International There's Always Tomorrow French Blu-Ray?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Harold Chasen, May 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Harold Chasen

Steven
    There is a new French Blu-Ray of Douglas Sirk's There's Always Tomorrow (French title is Demain est un autre jour, or "Tomorrow is another day"). Here's the Amazon.fr listing:

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07NRFGFRG

My questions are:

Does anyone know if this has forced English subtitles?

Has anyone seen it, and can they compare it to the Masters of Cinema DVD (which I already have)? Is it worth the upgrade?

In addition to the general idea of having one of my favorite Sirk films on Blu-Ray, I would love to have it without PAL speed-up. On the other hand, I've gotten over the feeling that every one of my DVD's has to be re-purchased on Blu-Ray. If it's not really an upgrade, I'd rather save the money.

2. Message #2 of 13 May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

There's Always Tomorrow is released in France by Elephant films. I have several of Elephant's blu rays (Sweet Charity, Sirk's Sign Of The Pagan) and none of them have forced subtitles.

Ed Lachmann likes this.
  3. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    The DVD you have is very good. A Blu-ray disc will need to be excellent to be a substantial upgrade. Only you can decide if it's worth paying good money for that.

4. david hare

david hare Second Unit

david hare
    The quality is very uneven. I remember when MoC released their DVD of this ten years ago I asked then boss Nick Wrigley if they had considered a Blu. They had but they found the quality insufficiently high on Universal’s master. The new disc has a LOT of that beeswarn grain or more likely faux grain which for once looks even worse in motion than it looks in screengrab. The Elephant Blu encode is around 24 kbps and 21 gig but the source is s poorly mastered it looks like they couldn’t do much with it. In comparison their Blu of All I Desire looks great. Similar specs and it is Academy ratio not widescreen but it’s obvious the master was correctly scanned and graded.

lark144 and Robin9 like this.
  5. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Screenwriter

Edmund Lachmann
    Elephant Films France is a great company. I've a few Sirks and all the recent DeMilles they've released and they all play on my Region A Oppo no problem and none have forced subs, as Thomas noted.

6. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    Thanks so much Ed for the recommendations. I've already ordered SIGN OF THE CROSS & REAP THE WILD WIND. What Sirks in particular do you have and like?

7. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I'm a huge Douglas Sirk fan and have two Sirks on the way from France (courtesy of Elephant) as I type. The 1957 Interlude with June Allyson and Rossano Brazzi on blu ray and Meet Me At The Fair (1953) with Dan Dailey and Diana Lynn which Elephant has only issued on DVD.

8. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Thomas, I love Meet Me At The Fair. Please report back about the quality of this DVD.

9. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Robin, sad to say it's a mediocre transfer :(. Colors are faded and the picture is not sharp but ultra soft looking. Perhaps a notch above a public domain transfer but not much. You can see why Elephant chose to release it on DVD only as the transfer is nowhere near HD quality. The film would require extensive restoration and I just don't see that happening. There's a wonderful booklet (in French) with some lovely original poster art for Sirk's films and the disc has supplementary material in French. However, it's watchable and as a Sirk fanboy, I'm glad to have this rarity in my collection.

Robin9 and Brent Reid like this.
  10. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Thomas, thank for that. I'm disappointed but not especially surprised.

11. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Robin, prior to the start of the film, there is a disclaimer in French which roughly translates to: "the only copy available had many flaws that we corrected as far as possible. it is this master that we present in this edition dvd. Thank you for your understanding."

12. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I wonder what elements for this film are lying semi-forgotten in the Universal vaults.

Thomas T likes this.
  13. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

In spite of the less than ideal viewing circumstances, I found the film thoroughly charming. Both Twilight Time and Kino have license deals with Universal so I suppose anything is possible and perhaps a good transfer is gathering dust in the Universal vaults waiting for someone to open it. It is a Sirk title and the man is an "auteur" favorite so maybe Universal just hasn't gotten around to it yet. But hey, I'm not getting any younger and may not be around when they do get around to it. :(

Robin9 likes this.