What's new

For Those Who Still Think Physical Media Has No Place in the 21st century… (2 Viewers)

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
If there is something you care about, there is nothing like a physical media copy to ensure you have continued access to the item (and the version you prefer).

My only copy of Star Wars is the "Definitive" laserdisc collection. It may be over 20 years old, but it has not suffered the modifications that Lucas made nor the new changes that Disney is making.

Once everything is streamed, content owners will be able to modify, suppress, pull from release, or decide to charge you an arm and a leg.

It is about control.

We fought for the control over 40 years ago and thought we had won. Now the studios are going to get it all back.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of which, I heard all of the digital versions of Star Wars were changed last week. The ones initially sold weren't the original versions, but suppose I had LIKED those particular versions only to have them changed to something else?

One thing I'll be watching closely is whether literally everything stays accessible forever. I've picked up literally every free TV episode and promo on Vudu since it started, many of which are no longer available for purchase now.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Speaking of which, I heard all of the digital versions of Star Wars were changed last week. The ones initially sold weren't the original versions, but suppose I had LIKED those particular versions only to have them changed to something else?

One thing I'll be watching closely is whether literally everything stays accessible forever. I've picked up literally every free TV episode and promo on Vudu since it started, many of which are no longer available for purchase now.
I believe that with the exception of A New Hope the only changes were adding the 20th Century FOX logo back to the beginning of the movies.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
I think that a library is a reflection of who the person is. The moment I go into someone's house I'm always looking onto the shelves and seeing what sorts of things they like or collect or have an interest in.I am perfectly happy to display as much of my Blu-ray collection as possible-- and any other movie memorabilia that I think is cool or fun.It would be a pretty boring house where there wasn't anything to examine in a room outside of the furniture.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The streaming services are wisely preparing for future generations who will care nothing about the classics or film history. I don't blame them for that as they are businesses and need to do whatever it takes to remain relevant. I don't think they are necessarily endorsing physical over streaming from an altruistic perspective. They are only trying to protect their revenue stream.

That said, I will ALWAYS prefer a physical copy of anything I want to regularly view.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I think that a library is a reflection of who the person is. The moment I go into someone's house I'm always looking onto the shelves and seeing what sorts of things they like or collect or have an interest in.I am perfectly happy to display as much of my Blu-ray collection as possible-- and any other movie memorabilia that I think is cool or fun.It would be a pretty boring house where there wasn't anything to examine in a room outside of the furniture.

I'm the same, I want to look at the discs & books. I'm quite happy for someone to eyeball my motley collection. After all, why do we put these things out on sight for all to see...& I judge, we all do :)

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
The streaming services are wisely preparing for future generations who will care nothing about the classics or film history. I don't blame them for that as they are businesses and need to do whatever it takes to remain relevant. I don't think they are necessarily endorsing physical over streaming from an altruistic perspective. They are only trying to protect their revenue stream.

Maybe not altruistic but I'm sure they're happy to see things evolve back to where customers don't own copies.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yes, I've always thought they wanted to get back to a model where they are essentially charging per-view. That's why some studios back things like Divx where the disc self-destructed after a certain amount of time. Then the consumer would have to buy another disc to watch it again, rather than paying just once for a physical copy they can watch over and over, basically forever.

It will also reduce the availability of used copies eventually.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Yikes. That’s kind of creepy. ;)

I'm the same, I want to look at the discs & books. I'm quite happy for someone to eyeball my motley collection. After all, why do we put these things out on sight for all to see...& I judge, we all do :)
I look at this as sort of a "challenge accepted" type of situation, as in, "I like all kinds of movies. What kind of cross section can I have in my physical media collection that will cause people to question my state of mind?' :D

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I look at this as sort of a "challenge accepted" type of situation, as in, "I like all kinds of movies. What kind of cross section can I have in my physical media collection that will cause people to question my state of mind?' :D
For most people simply seeing a lot of horror titles is enough for them to question... It seems that with a half dozen or so and you're "OK" but much over that and you're suddenly creepy and weird. So... throw in some Disney/animation/kid movies and then some horror and hide all the other titles people might consider "normal."

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, a section that includes Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Bambi, Casablanca, The Exorcist, The Sound of Music, I Spit On Your Grave, and Frozen. :)

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
For most people simply seeing a lot of horror titles is enough for them to question... It seems that with a half dozen or so and you're "OK" but much over that and you're suddenly creepy and weird. So... throw in some Disney/animation/kid movies and then some horror and hide all the other titles people might consider "normal."
I have a designated "family" title bookshelf on the main floor of my home, a 3D bookshelf next to my HT, as well as Criterion, UHD 4K, and music content shelves. I'm pretty sure my 3D shelf alone is enough to make some people shudder.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks