What's new

For Those Who Still Think Physical Media Has No Place in the 21st century… (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
There is absolutely nothing 'creepy' about looking at someone's bookshelves to peruse the titles of the books or films they contain. . Calm down!
I am calm.

And it’s absolutely creepy imo. reread the original post... which I quoted partly in jest hence the smiley.
Quote;
“The moment I go into someone's house I'm always looking onto the shelves”

The moment??

that’s what I found “creepy”.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I am calm.

And it’s absolutely creepy imo. reread the original post... which I quoted partly in jest hence the smiley.
Quote;

The moment??

Kinda reminds me of the old John Waters quote: "If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them!"

I was at a gathering at a neighbor's house a year or so ago and was looking at their bookshelf while waiting for someone in the bathroom, and what do I see but the Stanley Kubrick Masterpiece blu-ray collection. I felt more relaxed instantly.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I am calm.

Quote;

The moment??

Agreed. People coming in and immediately searching your shelves? Would they even say "Hello" first?

But at least if they were to try such instant snooping around my shelves, they'd see themselves staring right back at them:

51q1bEse5sL.jpg

;)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Yeah, a section that includes Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Bambi, Casablanca, The Exorcist, The Sound of Music, I Spit On Your Grave, and Frozen. :)

I used to alphabetize mine, then I got lazy about it after life happened, and I found it easier to put the lone released season of Silver Spoons in the space atop the complete run of Golden Girls, to put Small Wonder right between The Boys in the Band and Ted, and what has come out of Webster next to The Killing of Sister George. I'm typing this from where I can see Serial Mom on Blu-ray stacked next to Prancer, recommended by John Waters in one of his published writings, on DVD, and I just put Xanadu next to Citizen Kane.

I noticed I also had the movie Peyton Place nestled between Lady and the Tramp and Pocahontas. Considering who owns that movie and the TV show based on it now, was I, like Cassandra, being able to predict things and have nobody believe me until they actually came true? Naah, it's just a coincidence. At least on the surface…

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today, I bought some more film titles on iTunes in HD Digital that has never been released on Blu-ray.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Top 25 best-selling discs in the US for 2019 (info from the-numbers.com). Units is combination of Blu-ray and DVD copies sold. Combined numbers on most titles generally comprise roughly 65% Blu-ray, and 35% DVD. I presume 4K is rolled into the Blu-ray numbers. https://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/packaged-media-sales/2019

For catalog titles (The Goonies, Hocus Pocus), the numbers below seem to represent 2019 sales only. Interesting that some catalog titles are still selling a good number of copies. Probably somewhat due to re-release on 4K and/or blu-ray.

upload_2020-1-5_18-49-17.png

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Top 25 best-selling discs in the US for 2019 (info from the-numbers.com). Units is combination of Blu-ray and DVD copies sold. Combined numbers on most titles generally comprise roughly 65% Blu-ray, and 35% DVD. I presume 4K is rolled into the Blu-ray numbers. https://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/packaged-media-sales/2019

For catalog titles (The Goonies, Hocus Pocus), the numbers below seem to represent 2019 sales only. Interesting that some catalog titles are still selling a good number of copies. Probably somewhat due to re-release on 4K and/or blu-ray.

View attachment 66875
Wow -impressive sales figures ! I wonder how many copies things like the Shout Factory Universal Horrors and Abbott And Costello box sets sell. Obviously a lot less , but hopefully enough to be encouraging to Shout Factory .
BTW, I'm still and avid 'physical media ' consumer .

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

View attachment 66875
Interestingly, I purchased three of the titles on this list on UHD disc and three others via digital streaming (although I bought the 2D version of Spider-Verse) .

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Interestingly, I purchased three of the titles on this list on UHD disc and three others via digital streaming (although I bought the 2D version of Spider-Verse) .
I think the Spider-Verse entry is for the 2D discs, as there was no 3D disc option even released in the US. I'm not sure why they added the 3D tag to the title.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I bought the Spider-verse 3D Blu ray from Amazon.de. They have a website in English. This is also where I purchased the Venom 3D Blu as well as Noah.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Wow- surprised to see that almost 3.8 million units sold for Endgame. This is good news to us
physical media collectors- discs aren’t dead yet
:)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
If they were smart, they'd start promoting awareness of the advantages of discs over digital. I bought a Blu-Ray in Mexico that actually has an insert about that, will have to post it here.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If they were smart, they'd start promoting awareness of the advantages of discs over digital. I bought a Blu-Ray in Mexico that actually has an insert about that, will have to post it here.

I suspect this would be "too little too late" at this point.

That is unless the government bans digital streaming altogether and enforces it with an extreme iron fist (ie. long prison sentences for anybody who streams).

;)

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Keep buying those discs! The Digital Bits reported on another 18% drop in 2019 :eek: the trend is down & not likely to reverse again sadly :(
https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/011420-1430

For the record in 2019 I bought about 25 x 4K UHD discs (nearly every single one was an older catalog title!) and a few older BD's which will never come to other disc formats & ZERO digital downloads! Going forward I intend to be the last man standing of physical media so bring on more 4K UHD's please Hollywood my wallet will buy as many as you can release (provided they are worth buying!!).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's not if but when, disks ARE dying.
https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/011520-1000

Warner Bros. and Universal Pictures are going to be merging their physical media distribution operations.

There is no way to spin that positively.

Time for Lionsgate, Paramount, Criterion and all TV shows to get on the Movies Anywhere bandwagon.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
There is no way to spin that positively.

Time for Lionsgate, Paramount, Criterion and all TV shows to get on the Movies Anywhere bandwagon.

(On an offtopic tangent).

Does anybody have the cash to do a corporate merger with Lionsgate?

For that matter, does Sony have any plans to sell off their movie/tv catalog + production division entirely?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It is just amazing to see this industry continuously evolve.

I find myself evolving with it.

I am buying more digital copies over discs. It's just cheaper. The only discs I buy these days are first-run movies with Atmos.

The writing has been on the wall for a long time and I think this partnership -- while smart indeed -- just signals that the studios are just as concerned about the future of disc media as we have been.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
How did you go bankrupt? Slowly…. then all at once.

From the video games side Gamestop is nearly dead. It will be a major net positive for the gaming industry as a whole for Gamestop to go away and BestBuy and Walmart to stop selling games at all. But it’s going to be a miserable epoch until we go fully digital. And the gnashing of teeth from those who have shitty internet service will be unbearable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks