What's new

For Those Who Still Think Physical Media Has No Place in the 21st century… (3 Viewers)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...I don't expect younger audiences to appreciate and watch older films made in the last century. Only the latest release on their phones or streamed at home. This is bound to change not only how artistically movies are made but also their budgets etc...
That's true but nothing new. Kids in the 80s weren't interested in films from the 50s, and kids in the 50s weren't interested in the silent era.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Going by how younger generations movie watching habits are such as watching movies on their phones and streaming I think cinemas will be severly reduced in numbers in the western world.

What would be really horrible is if tiktok or its successors, end up being the knockout punch for movies.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I still have about 100 titles on HD DVD. Slowly but surely, as they come available on iTunes for $4.99 - $7.99, I am purchasing the digital copies. I have very limited room left for storing physical media. All of my HD DVDs are already stored in another room and that space is full too.

I once proclaimed you can take my shiny discs when you pry them from my cold dead hands. Well, my tune has changed. In most cases, a movie streamed via iTunes on my Apple TV 4K looks every bit as good as watching the disc.

Blu-ray is already heading the way of CD. I haven't played a CD (of any kind) in more than 5 years.

Mark

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I still have about 100 titles on HD DVD. Slowly but surely, as they come available on iTunes for $4.99 - $7.99, I am purchasing the digital copies. I have very limited room left for storing physical media. All of my HD DVDs are already stored in another room and that space is full too.

I once proclaimed you can take my shiny discs when you pry them from my cold dead hands. Well, my tune has changed. In most cases, a movie streamed via iTunes on my Apple TV 4K looks every bit as good as watching the disc.

Blu-ray is already heading the way of CD. I haven't played a CD (of any kind) in more than 5 years.

Mark

I'm too lazy to search for a particular cd on my large bookshelf. Easier to just find and listen to the songs on youtube.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
That's true but nothing new. Kids in the 80s weren't interested in films from the 50s, and kids in the 50s weren't interested in the silent era.

Nowadays one can find GenZ folks who have no idea what Harry Potter is, and have no interest in knowing.

EDIT: For context, GenZ were born in the late-1990s to around 2010 or so. Today the "oldest" GenZ'ers would be age 21 or 22 (ie. finished college already).

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I'm too lazy to search for a particular cd on my large bookshelf. Easier to just find and listen to the songs on youtube.

I'm too lazy to get up and put a Blu-ray in the player. If the movie I want to watch is available via my Apple TV, that's how I watch it.

BONUS: Movies via streaming get started right away. That's WAY better than the bunch of menus, ads, previews and other bullsheet that studios cram onto the Blu-ray YOU PAID GOOD MONEY FOR. Loading a Blu-ray is "hurry up and wait".

Mark

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
BONUS: Movies via streaming get started right away. That's WAY better than the bunch of menus, ads, previews and other bullsheet that studios cram onto the Blu-ray YOU PAID GOOD MONEY FOR. Loading a Blu-ray is "hurry up and wait".

(On a tangent).

Today a lot of my disc purchase decisions, have more to do with whether I want to spend time ripping each disc to the computer, mainly to check for whether there are any manufacturing defects on the discs. It takes around 11 minutes per dvd disc or 30 minutes per bluray disc.

If I don't feel like spending 11 minutes per dvd disc (or 30 minutes per bluray disc) being ripped to the computer, then I won't even bother buying the dvd (or bluray) set. Not even at $5 a pop or less.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl

Mark

You must have a lot of discs!

I understand if you are purchasing films that you don't have on disc especially if you have as many films as you seem to indicate.

However, spending money on iTunes for digital copies of films you already have albeit on HD DVD seems money wasted to me.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Your assumption is false. Any downloaded video content is encrypted with DRM ...

Nowadays I assume any video sold by the big movie companies, will be encrypted from the start.

The only way to truely get unencrypted video, is from ripping dvd/bluray discs or figuring out a way of capturing the video stream between the video card and tv screen. A hardware tinkerer/engineer can figure out an easy way to do the latter.

JackieT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackie
Then there is the joy of streaming when the signal isn’t strong enough or it starts raining! When I own a disc I can watch it whenever I want, dip in and out of it whenever I like etc. Downloads also can freeze and hiccup.

Why would rain affect the internet streaming of Netflix or similar service? Signal isn't strong? Makes no sense.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
However, spending money on iTunes for digital copies of films you already have albeit on HD DVD seems money wasted to me.
I and many others here do it all the time. Usually because it’s so convenient.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
I don't relate to the "I'm too lazy" comments about physical media. Mine (Blu Ray, Cd) are alphabitized and easy to see at a glance if I am browsing.

I do my share of streaming, usually seasons of shows or individual films I'm not sure about investing in.

As to effort, it is easier for me to find a disk I want to play than to browse any menu systems of streaming services, which are filled with distractions and junk they think I should want, and with groupings that are not helpful to me ("trending" "action packed"). I find pretty much all streaming service menus tedious and limiting.

I never see unwanted promos on my home library shelf! They aren't categorized by adjectives like "gritty" "understated" "cerebral". And don't get me started on having to sign back in to a streaming service after weeks or months of viewing. Why does that happen? Where is my password? I'm too lazy for all that streaming hassle.

Just a grab a disk, play what I want, no hassles. And I can even enjoy 3D as a bonus as long as my OLED keeps kicking. I've never had a physical disk die on me so far. Probably will outlive me. And never asks for my password.

JackieT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackie
I have no desire to store stacks and stacks of plastic disc boxes be it in one location or spread out everywhere in the house. I used to think that was the way to keep media but streaming changed my world for the better. I press my remote from my sofa and ask it to "watch Indiana Jones" and bam, I'm presented with all the movies in HD or better. One press of remote and I'm enjoying my movie or tv series or any number of media options.

I also no long do much repeat viewing of movies, even the ones I love dearly. I'm almost burned out on them.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have given in and I do have a so called library of movies that I access with my Apple TV but I know those can disappear for a number of reasons at any time. Streaming is only as good as your internet connection and even Atmos titles are lossy not lossless like on disc. My core movies are all on disc and even if there is an issue with a lawsuit or internet connection my discs are always here. Not the biggest library but it is a work in progress and I add to it when I am able to as well as add a digital version once in a while. Almost always when it is available for a low price! I put a premium price on discs and the digital versions mostly are only purchased at lower prices. Heck I see digital as an over glorified long term rental.

20201025_115606.jpg

JackieT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackie
It's been a while since I owned a blu ray player. Do they still need an internet connection to keep things updated and discs playing menus and so on correctly? Last player I used was also slow to fire up to the actual movie, are they quicker now?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
It's been a while since I owned a blu ray player. Do they still need an internet connection to keep things updated and discs playing menus and so on correctly? Last player I used was also slow to fire up to the actual movie, are they quicker now?

I take it you last owned one in '08? Since then, BD-Live has become a thing of the past, and Pirates of the Caribbean 2 takes less time to warm up. :D

I understand if you are purchasing films that you don't have on disc especially if you have as many films as you seem to indicate.

I once blogged that I had a digital library of fifty titles, that literally consists half of titles I got free for buying the disks, and half of free promotional titles Warner threw at me over seven years hoping I'd subscribe to Flixster and throw all my disks away. (I didn't, and haven't.)

And the story about how I used to say that digital "backup" files were a tool, not a replacement, just one I couldn't really see myself using unless they were the solution to a problem. If, say, I was stranded for six hours in an airport with a delayed flight and free WiFi, then okay, maybe that would be some imaginable excuse for me to stay in the same chair for two hours while I was "on the go"--But otherwise, the studios' attempt to sell movies like iTunes-playlist songs, because they only got as far as understanding why MP3 music replaced CD, was just ill-thought-out from the beginning.

Oh, and about three years ago, I came back from a Florida vacation only to discover that the eastern seaboard was being socked with a major storm, my 11am flight had been delayed to 8pm, and I was trapped in the (rather pleasant) Orlando Int'l terminal with my iPad, the free Wifi, and the comfy recharger-enabled chairs, till then. Well, what can I say, I DID ask for it. :unsure:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks