What's new

Floor VS. Bookshelf Speakings (opinions needed) (1 Viewer)

Shawn N

Agent
Is it possible (on a bit of a budget) to obtain good quality sound with front L&R speakers being bookshelf type vs. floor speakers? Maybe a better question would be what are your opinions on floor vs. bookshelf speakers for HT.
I'm still in the shopping/learning stages. Just looking for opinions here I relies it can be subjective.

FYI--Defining budget.... looking to spend in the area of $600 for all my speakers

Lee M T

Second Unit
Generally speaking, I would go with bookshelves if we're talking predominately home theater use. If you listen to quite a bit of music, then floor standers might be a wise option for when you switch to a 2-channel source.

Movies and games generally do not send a ton of low frequencies to the left and right speakers, so floor standers may be overkill, in a sense.

Others will probably have much more to offer, hope I was of at least some help.

Lee

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator
Shawn,

Are you looking to spend $600 with a sub or without?
There are some systems in your price range on this link.
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...&cc=01&search=

There are many options though. If you are willing to wait on a sub you can get better quality speakers for your $600 in my opinion.
An Example would be:
Polk Audio Rti38 - $249 a set for fronts

Polk Audio Rti28 - $199 a set for rears

Polk Audio CSi30 -$149 for the center channel

These speakers are on sale right now because Polk Audio just released a new model year on these. They can be had in a Black or Cherry Finish and offer real wood veneer.

Lee M T

Second Unit
Richard has the best option right there. That would be a wonderful setup. Hopefully you can hold out on a sub and get one down the road. Because you won't find a better set of speakers for $600 than the ones listed here. That setup would have normally cost closer to $1,000.

Shawn N

Agent
Richard,

Yes I planned to spend $600 on the 5 speakers. Adding the sub later. I'll try to go listen to those Polk Audio's mentioned. Any recommendations for a nice sub to finish that setup.

Shawn N

Agent
Just got back from CC and they have allot of open box/floor models. Still with 30 trial peiod.

Polk
RTi 28 $63 open box ( $99 new) each
RTi 38 $99 open box ( $126 new)each
RTi 70 $173 open box ( $299 new) each liked the sound of these for music.

They didn't have this set up for surround so I'll have to find another CC. The speaker sounded good though. I was only able to listen to the CSi40 center and it sounded real good. I may need the bigger center in my family room anyway. Family room is 18x24

Shawn N

Agent
Randy or others,

So I could get the system you suggested for $473. Screaming deal, but what would you think of replacing the RTi38's with RTi70's? This would bring my total to $621 just an extra $148. So that would be:

Polk Audio RTi 28 (Rear R/L) $63 each
Polk Audio RTi 70 (Front R/L)$173 each
Polk Audio CSi 30 (Center) $149
Total $621

How do you think the 70's would work in place of the 38's?
could maybe add this sub http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=300-632

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Me? I would go with floorstanders or large bookshelfs (meaning ones with a 6.5" or larger woofer) so they can be blended better with the sub.

Read more about this here (the paragraph starting with "The second reason.......")

LJ

Keith*D

Agent
Go now and buy the polks you looked at, I am getting rid of my polk gear, but for primarily HT it is incredible. Do yourself a favor and step up to the Csi40 for sure, they can be had for around $250 (that is exactly what I am selling mine for if you are curious) and then I would get the Rti70's and the Rti28's. I wouldn't necessarily purchased these speakers at full price, but at the prices you are looking at you would have a screamin' good HT.

As for the sub, on your budget (or what it looks like to me) I would get a Hsu VTF-2 ($500 shipped) the Adire Rava ($400 + shipping) or wait for the new Hsu STF line. If you really like buying at CC then you could get the CHT 12 or 15, or for a small step up in price and footprint you could go with an SVS, the most highly recommended sub on the forum. Whatever you do, it looks like you are getting a great deal.

Keith

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator
Shawn,

If you go with the Rti70s you should get the CSi40 center channel. Those are voice matched to each other. The Rti 38s & 28s are voice matched to the CSi30 that was recommended.

That is a great deal on the Rti70s as well as all the speakers.

Look at the subs Keith mentioned. My suggestion for you would be a SVS 25-31Pci or PB1-ISD but they are $549 and $599 and that may or may not be over yor budget.

Shawn N

Agent
Keith,

Thanks for the advice. If you don't mind me asking. Wht are you getting ride of your Polks?

As fpr the sub I think I'll end up spending in the area of $400. Give or take a few bucks.

Mike_Z

Auditioning
Shawn,

Don't skimp on the sub. ESPECIALLY for HT! It is the one piece of hardware that will truly turn a typical DVD into a theatre experience. Trust me on this. Do yourself a favor and take a look the SVS that Richard mentioned. You won't be disappointed.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Four hundred for the subwoofer? Didn't know that! And yes, good bass (low and powerful) isn't cheap.

Hell go for that Adire Rava. I like Bostons & even I want to try this model out--I've never heard anyone talk bad about it. Can't beat a product made by Washitonians (sp!). :D :D

LJ

kevin tate

Stunt Coordinator
$99 for the Polk RTI70? Where do you find that great deal? I have the RTI70, and I'm very happy with them.

Shawn N

Agent
Kevin,

I made a typo, sorry. The RTi70's are $173 each open box at Circuit City. The price I wrote for RTi70's ($99)were actually for the RTi38's. "My bad", had a hard time reading my own writting.

Just found them at Fry's for $179 each new as well.

LindD

Auditioning
Help! I am brand new to HT and the Forum, but got into this strand when the polk speakers showed up, I was listening to them at CC and liked what I heard - along with the price! However, the models I was listening to were R 50s, FXi 30s and CSi 3. How do these fit with earlier recommendations?

Keith*D

Agent
Shawn - I am getting rid of the Polk's because I purchased R50's at $99 each before I knew what I was doing. As I learned a little more I bought the CSi40. I realized that my mains couldn't keep up with my center, started really looking around and realized I was going to be needing new mains, and since I could sell my center on ebay for what I paid for it I decided to try something else. I ended up with Axiom M22ti bookshelf speakers and I feel they are better for music than the Polks. I have no real complaints with the CSi40, it is authoritative and is the best bargain CC I have seen if you are using it for home theater, and it voices very well with the RTi70.

All that to say, for the same money I could try out something else, just because!

LinD - I would recommend taking this chance to get RTi series Polks as they are a HUGE step up from the R series, and as that line is being replaced there are RTi70's (which are MUCH better than the R50's) available for significantly less than the 50's. Good luck with your setup.

Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks