What's new

Floating Floor question (1 Viewer)

MikeAlb

Auditioning
I'm a little confused about installing a FLOATING floor that Russ Hershelmann refers to in all of his articles. I'm in the serious planning stages of converting a garage into a home theater when I move into my new house in the next 60-90 days.

Obviously I'll be dealing with concrete floor. For a similar example for a floating floor, Russ recommends 3/8" soundmat, 3/4" plywood or OSB, then the carpet pad, and then carpet...my question is does the PLYWOOD or OSB just lay on top of the soundmat? Does it get affixed to the floor in any way? I don't know about you guys, but relying on the pad & carpet to keep a handful of sections of plywood laying perfectly flat isn't too confidence building.

Thanks for any insight you might be able to provide.

NathanH

Stunt Coordinator
Check out dricore panels as another option if you haven't already. I'm using them to finish my basement floor. It is a floating subfloor, only takes up 7/8" space, and adds a vapor barrier. And it is very easy to install! You can get more info at www.dricore.com Anyways, all you do is buy the panels, then lock them together on your floor. You'll have to do some cutting and use some of their leveling kits, but it is pretty easy.

Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks