What's new

Floaters question (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I see a lot of people complaining about getting DVD's shipped with floaters. I have bought hundreds over the Internet and many come with floaters. I occasionally see minor scratches or rather scuffs, but they never hamper the playback. I have seen some people say that it does on their player.

What is the problem here? I mean if you want float free disc, I am sure they can put them in those cases with spindles that will crack the disc hub getting them out!

And why would minor scuffs/scratches cause playback problems? How do these people play rental discs?

Eric

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
I think it's a combo of why take a chance with a scratch oxidizing a layer later down the road and wanting a new, damage-free product. Do you buy the dented cans in the grocery store?

GarySchrock

Second Unit
For me it's very simple. If I'm paying for a product, I feel I have a right to an undamaged product. And I don't even check to see if it has a problem playing, if it's scratched, it goes back to the store. (And I find I probably do more returns because of idiot packers that slide the disc across the hub than floaters). And in the grand scheme of things, it's a lot easier to replace it right after buying it, than if it turns out there's a problem with it 6 months down the road.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I guess it all depends on where your mindset is. I like "new" products but they depreciate in value the minute you open them and I am sure you have some discs in your collection that has a scratch or two on them eventually? Me, I am not that picky. I will buy second-hand (scratches and all) because when playing I get the same results as one I would buy new and a whole lot cheaper!

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
So is the point of this thread to say that you don't think people should complain about scratches on their new DVDs?

LarryH

Supporting Actor

You have been fortunate, indeed. I have had several DVD's which were scratched so badly that they did not play correctly. One cannot determine whether a scratch affects playability until one watches the DVD in its entirety and all of its options.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
A scratched disc that plays back in one player may well give another player serious troubles - regardless of the brand or expense of the player. I refuse to accept a scratched disc, beacause I don't want to be caught by surprise four or five years down the road when I buy a new player.

A couple of fine scratches is one thing, but deep or wide scratches and/or scuffs go back to the store immediately. I don't even try them first. In fact, most of my brick and morter purchases are checked before I drive off, and returned immediately if they are scratched.

-Scott

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Funny thing is, I can't remember EVER getting a scratched music CD, and I've easily purchased close to 2000 over the past 10 years. So, why are DVD's so prone to this? Is it shoddy manufacturing lines?

BrandonJF

Second Unit
95% of my DVD purchases used to be online. But, given the huge number of floaters I was getting, I just couldn't do it any longer. I'm obsessive with everything being in perfect condition - one scratch is enough for me to send it back, whether it will play or not. Plus, the biggest offender of floaters is usually box sets (hello Buffy and Babylon 5). It could be quite awhile before I will get through one of those sets and I shouldn't have to skip to the scratched disc and watch it before the return period just to see if it works.

Now, I'm in the brick and mortar stores lightly shaking the DVDs before buying, then opening any multidisc set in the car, like Scott, before leaving. I avoided the multiple return on the Monster Legacy Gift set by hearing those discs flying around. After picking up about 5 sets, I finally found one that didn't have the discs sliding back and forth inside the cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks