What's new

International FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched the Region B Eureka Masters of Cinema blu ray of The Flight of the Phoenix in its entirety. I had made an MKV file of the blu ray so I could stream it from the Plex server in my Mac Pro. It’s been a while since I last watched it. It‘s still a good movie!

I found the quality of the disc to be great. It’s not a super duper remastering, but looks honest. I think it’s likely from the same source used on the DVD as I thought the colors and other attributes looked the same. What I meant by honest is that there was no tweaking done, no digital noise reduction. So the image had grain. And it wasn’t noisy and looked natural. It was cool! I’m glad to have the blu ray, even though it’s a Region B locked disc, it’s worth the effort. I’m sure the iTunes version is great too!

And I was able to see the extras on the disc too, the trailer and a short interview with film historian Sheldon Hall was interesting.

I’m seriously considering buying the Eureka release of Enemy Mine. Unless I can find a copy of the Twilight Time release that’s out of print, that I unfortunately missed, the Region B copy will be much less costly and much more available.

Film plot Spoilers:

I always liked how Frank and Lew reacts when they learn what Dorfmann designs. And then how Frank later retakes the leadership role as it’s up to him to make sure the engine starts and the plane can really get them home. I looked up how those engines were designed to be started using an explosive charge to get the engine to crank.

Being who I am, I had to look up the planes used and I didn’t know that the Phoenix was a cobbled together plane made from real plane parts to replicate what it could be if they really did try something like they did in the film. The stunt pilot who flew the Phoenix crashed during a touch and go sequence. So the flying sequences at the end are using a different plane that resembles the Phoenix pretty closely, but if you look hard, it’s different.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
By the way, I wondered if the blu ray had some cuts in it? There were a few scenes that took place at night, then suddenly cut to daytime the next day. I’ve not seen this movie enough times to have memorized it. I checked the time, the blu ray says 142 minutes long, the old DVD says 149 mins long. A seven minute discrepancy. Maybe the old 20th Century Fox DVD had printed the time in error. I can check the DVD’s length when I get a chance. Just thought I’d ask.

In checking IMDB and the Wikipedia entry, they both say the film is 142 minutes. So it must be a typo in the DVD.

Last edited:

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
Disappointing. I was hoping for a Region A release of this one day by Twilight Time. I remember when it was rumored that they were going to release it.
Has anyone yet managed to get the Pioneer LX500 to play iso files. I'm hoping this might be at least one way my Region A LX500 can play the few Region B BDs I have-and with lossless PCM sound quality. If not then I'll have to go for JVB Digital's Region free mod kit for the Oppo 95. All Oppos have zoom but stupidly without allowing you to be able to center the desired zoom image on the screen, like the LX500 can.

In any case, it's wrong that legitimate movie collectors should be suffering this abuse because movie copyholders don't release BD editions of movies in Region A-especially American made movies like this one.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
All Oppos have zoom but stupidly without allowing you to be able to center the desired zoom image on the screen, like the LX500 can.
What do you mean with centering the zoomed image? It has been some time but I am pretty sure that the center of the image stays the same when you zoom with the 95?
And why would you zoom in the first place?

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
What do you mean with centering the zoomed image? It has been some time but I am pretty sure that the center of the image stays the same when you zoom with the 95?
And why would you zoom in the first place?

I have zoomed with an Oppo Blu-ray player, and the image is properly centered. I have used the zoom for non-anamorphic DVDs or a couple of Blu-rays that are released in 4:3 that were originally projected at 1.78.1. The Oppo also lets you move subtitles so that they fit on the now zoomed image.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I have zoomed with an Oppo Blu-ray player, and the image is properly centered. I have used the zoom for non-anamorphic DVDs or a couple of Blu-rays that are released in 4:3 that were originally projected at 1.78.1. The Oppo also lets you move subtitles so that they fit on the now zoomed image.
Thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten about non-anamorphic letterboxed DVDs, must have been some time that I watched one!
Having the capability to move subs is very helpful in a number of applications.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks