What's new

International FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX (1 Viewer)

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Flight of the Phoenix has been released by Masters of the Cinema Series with a new HD 1080P transfer. The story is about a group of passengers on a cargo plane that crashes in the Sahara Desert during a sandstorm. The movie stars James Stewart, Richard Attenborough, Hardy Kruger, Ernest Borgnine and was directed by Robert Aldrich. Included with the Blu-ray is a 20 page booklet describing the history of the film, director and actors.

Video is 1080P from a new transfer.
Audio is uncompressed mono.
Region Code "B".
Running time is 142 minutes.
Aspect ratio is 1:85 x 1. Phoenix.jpg

Last edited:

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Watched it last night. Really disappointed...Does not look like a new scan. The 1.85 framing somehow looks wrong. Hoping it will be released in the US and will be a 4K.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
I would be very pleasantly surprised if a new scan is produced (even better if it's 4K) - slow burn of a movie that is probably not in keeping with the pace desired by modern audiences => costs would probably not be recouped so unlikely to happen. Sad.

Regards,

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
It looked quite good to me. Very deep blacks ,important since many scenes take place at night. Flesh tones are very good. Very sharp for the most part except for a few moments at the start. Print is in very good shape. Music can sound a little flat at times but it's mono. Recommended

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
It looked quite good to me. Very deep blacks ,important since many scenes take place at night. Flesh tones are very good. Very sharp for the most part except for a few moments at the start. Print is in very good shape. Music can sound a little flat at times but it's mono. Recommended
I agree. I think it looks nice overall.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I stumbled onto this blu ray release on Amazon. I didn’t know about it.

As far as I can tell, this is still a Region B release. after nearly 4 years, maybe it’s not coming to Region A. So I think I’ll pick it up. Just thought I’d check here in case you guys know of any news of a US release. Thanks.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Twilight Time at one point said they were going to do it, but they’re not around anymore. It’s a Fox title and we don’t really know much about what Disney’s licensing policy is going to be with those titles. I’d love to have a copy.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Josh, thanks for chiming in. Well, my guess is this is not going to be picked up by Criterion. Not sure if Kino would do it. This probably isn’t the kind of title Arrow would do. Might have to consider this version then.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, I just looked and I see it’s $9.99 to buy. I also see it on iTunes for the same price to buy. That’s good to know!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
That’s cool Robert. I’m probably going for the blu ray and see how that works out.
The original thread is here ...

My general experience is that with older FOX films (eg Enemy Mine and Journey to the Center of The Earth) Eureka blu-rays will give a nag screen stating that Eureka disks are "only licensed for the UK and Ireland" when played in a Region A player and then using the Top Menu trick will play just fine -exepting any PAL based special features.

As DISKNEE has it - a North America Release on any non-digital format is highly unlikely - unless DMC considers issuing it as a club exclusive - which they won't release their own catalog films any more.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Bryan. That reminds me, I missed the Enemy Mine disc too. :(. I’ve been looking for a Twilight Time disc. I’m going to try the Masters of the Cinema blu ray of The Flight of the Phoenix.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I received my Region B copy of The Flight of the Phoenix. As I expected, the disc will only display the screen that says this disc is region locked. I tried on my Region A Oppo player. I wasn’t aware of the Top Menu trick before. I tried it and it did not work. Maybe because the player is connected to the Internet via wifi.

But my plan all along was to use MakeMKV to make a copy that plays in Plex so I can stream it in my home, I did that and it worked! I compared the image quality between the blu ray and the old DVD. I saw modest improvement on the blu ray. I only watched a little bit to test the playback. So I’ll watch the film later. From what I can see, the real improvement is sharpness and detail. Audio quality seems on par with the DVD. It’s cool to have a high def copy of this film now.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Disappointing. I was hoping for a Region A release of this one day by Twilight Time. I remember when it was rumored that they were going to release it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
josiahjkhendrix
Recent bookmarks