What's new

Flexy rack questions (1 Viewer)

jimstark

Auditioning
I am building three flexy-like racks soon (actually built one, a printer/scanner stand, today, out of ends left over from milling and some 1/2" threaded rods I already had). The one I have questions about is the CD rack I plan to build.
I'm using 6' sections of bull-nosed, 12" deep MDF. I have 5/8" all-thread, and I plan to space then 2" off center, somewhat set in from the edges, but close enough to support the CD jewel case. I also plan to drill a series of notches in the shelves, in which I will place a peg, just in case the CDs don't quite fill the shelf.
My plan is two rods on the end, two in the middle and two at the end. 6' rods, 8 shelves. Should hold about 1500 - 2000 CDs.
My first worry, of course, is tipover. Does this seem way too high for this much weight? Would it help to use a much wider, say 18 - 24" bottom shelf, so if it tried to tip forward, it simply couldn't?
I do plan to wire the unit to the wall...it's *never* going to be moved until I sell this house! That should prevent any severe accidents, yes?
I know this is is a rather unwieldy size, but I can't find a CD rack that holds more than 1000 CDs, and we already have 1200. Not to mention the bigger racks cost a billion and a half dollars!
So, flexy experts, does my plan hold water? Any problems or suggestions you can see?
------------------
-stark-
my gear: The Kenefick Home Theater
my movies: http://www.dvdtracker.com/~jimkenefick

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator
With 12" deep MDF, tip over won't be a problem. The unit will be stable due to it's own weight being evenly distributed on the all-thread.
I've got a big fley that I didn't even end up wiring to the wall. You can see it on my website. Click the green house.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks